• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Welcome.

You've already got a fine carry gun. My suggestion would be to take the money you'd spend on a 9mm, and spend it on ammo and a training class. The .22 you want, though, is a must buy. Cheap practice, and a ton of fun in it's own right.

Some good .22s I've owned:

Ruger Mark II 5 1/2" bull barrel target model
    Browning Buckmark
    Beretta Neos. Due to a wonderfully written manual with a focus on new shooters and easy takedown, I'd give this one a hard look.

Hanging Judge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I agree with all the preceding posts. Trying guns out is important. If you don't like it when you pick it up for the first time, you definately will not like to shoot it. A great example is I own a Glock 32 and a full size Kimber. I have ALWAYS wanted an HK USP tactical in .45 but I wasn't going to plunk down the cash until I got to at least hold one. I happened to be in a shooting lane next to someone that had one one day and asked him if I could fire off a few. We traded my Glock for that for a magazine. My heart was crushed, the gun felt like a block of wood in my hand and I didn't like the way it shot at all. By trying that gun I save myself at least 900 bucks.
    I also agree to get the shooting lessons. I live in Fort Wayne as well, I know there is a certified instructor in town that does lessons. I can't remember his name but if you go to Ranger Supply Co in the times corners strip he has business cards there. Ranger Supply also has a good selection of xds and glocks to check out if you are leaning that way. If you are interested in trying out a 357 sig in a glock or a Browning Buckmark .22 (which I HIGHLY recommend unless you can find/afford a Colt Woodsman) send me a PM I could meet you over at H&H to fire off a few rounds.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Where in the state are you located? I am sure that with the number of members we have there is SOMEONE nearby would be willing to meet up with you at a local range and let you try out their weapons. :)

Greg
    You will get a lot of differing opinions but ultimately it will have to be your decision what you are comfortable with. If you can find someone or ones who may have the firearms you are interested in to get with you and let you shoot them that may help you. Or depending on your location there are some shooting ranges that rent firearms(not sure how that works have never done it) You could rent what you are interested in and see what you think or how they feel to you. Just my thoughts on the subject.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    For a 22 you may want to look into a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito. They both can be had for about $300. I purchased a P22 lightly used for $245 and once it broke in after about 250 rounds it works perfect. I have found that in those kind of guns you need to run 200-300 of CCI Stingers first.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have an XD9, I'd recommend it for a everyday concealed carry pistol.

I moved from my 1911 over to the XD, talk about a world of difference!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I absolutely LOVE my Taurus's, PT 145 Millennium Pro .45acp, and my 24/7 OSS DS .40S&W, for that matter, I like my "Judge" too (.410/.45lc)! And my model 607 (.357mag), and the 605 (.357mag), and the PT99 (9mm), and the 5306 (.327 fed mag)....:twocents:
    I know, I know, I just opened up a can of worms didn't I?:popcorn:

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Based on what I have read, Everyone has his/her opion and most have shared good advise in their own way.
    But ultimately you need to make you own decision. Personally, I would never base a gun purchase on what someone else likes. It's your money and you will have to be satisfied with whatever you choose. Be happy with what you already have or start your collection as many of us have done.

Good luck and have fun!! HIt the shooting range ASAP - Practice/Practice/Practice!

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I absolutely LOVE my Taurus's, PT 145 Millennium Pro .45acp, and my 24/7 OSS DS .40S&W, for that matter, I like my "Judge" too (.410/.45lc)! And my model 607 (.357mag), and the 605 (.357mag), and the PT99 (9mm), and the 5306 (.327 fed mag)....:twocents:
    I know, I know, I just opened up a can of worms didn't I?:popcorn:

What? No PT1911?? I am disappointed!!:ugh:

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    This is probally the best forum I have been apart of! ( I am part of like 3 forums for cars) I apreciate all your input. I mean greatly apreciate it!

Top Bottom