• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Hello Everyone and Thank you upfront.

I am looking for a handgun, I am 25 resposible man, I love the hobby/sport but never had the money to get into it. now I do. I plan on being a police officer in the near future. I purchased last year a 1911-a1 45 Springfield, I have not shot it yet but it is a full frame 45, I am looking to get a 9mm and maybe a 22 for some mighty hefty target practice. Any suggestions?

I am leaning pretty hard towards an XD9...

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    You will get varing opinions.......the most important thing is to pick one (or more.....:D) that you like (grip angle, that general "feels good in my hand", like the way it feels when you are working the action....etc), can and will practice with, and feel comfortable carrying.

There might be people that will say "You need this or You need that", listen to them enough to try out suggestions, but not enough to just take their word on it. What works for them may not for you.

Don't fall into the Glock vs XD or anything else. Pick what YOU want and what feels good too you. The true gun lovers won't care if you carry a revolver, semi-auto (or what kind/caliber), or a freakin hand cannon.........as long as you carry it (if you have the LTCH). A gun left at home is a slight step above not owning one at all.

And before someone else asks......What will the gun be for (plinker, carry, home defense, truck gun, <insert other reasons here>)? That will help in the discussion.

And lastly I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm here now..........:welcome: to :ingo:

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Thanx for the welcome! Well id like a 22 for target practice, amd the 9mm For a carry/target and maybe for the center console as well. Who knows. Versatility is always good!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Some of the major manufacturers have or the aftermarket makes .22 conversion kits for the guns. 9mm is a great caliber and effective. A good gun may be something like a Glock 26, 9mm, concealable, soft recoil (and would be a great BUG if you become an officer) and they offer .22 conversion kits too!

XDs are nice, but lack a kit (so far, they are supposedly in the works), but remains an excellent choice for a pistol.

I would suggest maybe finding a range that rents guns and try them both out!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    You will get varing opinions.......the most important thing is to pick one (or more.....:D) that you like (grip angle, that general "feels good in my hand", like the way it feels when you are working the action....etc), can and will practice with, and feel comfortable carrying.

There might be people that will say "You need this or You need that", listen to them enough to try out suggestions, but not enough to just take their word on it. What works for them may not for you.

Don't fall into the Glock vs XD or anything else. Pick what YOU want and what feels good too you. The true gun lovers won't care if you carry a revolver, semi-auto (or what kind/caliber), or a freakin hand cannon.........as long as you carry it (if you have the LTCH). A gun left at home is a slight step above not owning one at all.

And before someone else asks......What will the gun be for (plinker, carry, home defense, truck gun, <insert other reasons here>)? That will help in the discussion.

And lastly I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm here now..........:welcome: to :ingo:

What they said ....

personally i carry a variety , revolvers, semi auto , large caliber , small caliber ....
    best advice is what fpd said go with what feels good to you find someone who owns a few different types of handguns ,(someone on INGO im sure is close to your location and willing to )
    and get them to let you try them out see what you like best .
    don't fall into the I OWN NOTHING BUT GLOCK ,XD or the like .
    Hell i own a wide assortment of brand names and love them all ..
    Good luck
    welcome to INGO
    and our lovely hobby

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I am in agreement with fpd9317. I have never fallen into the Glock - Springfield - Kimber thing. I have owned handguns from Bersa, Colt, S&W to Taurus and have always felt my purchase was based on the comfort of the gun, the caliber that I was comfortable with and price (What I could afford). I carry a compact 45, but plink with a .22.
    If you have not shot much or at all, you may want to take a class from a certified firearms instructor. Depending on your location, some of the shooting ranges have classes or contact your local gun shop and they should be able to locate an instructor for you. If you look at the NRA website, they should also have a list of instructors as well.

Just my two cents.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Thats a good idea on classes, I agree with that. i understand how to handle them and check them, I have only shot a couple of times. So I do want to be more comfortable around them as well

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Thats a good idea on classes, I agree with that. i understand how to handle them and check them, I have only shot a couple of times. So I do want to be more comfortable around them as well

Where in the state are you located? I am sure that with the number of members we have there is SOMEONE nearby would be willing to meet up with you at a local range and let you try out their weapons. :)

Greg

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    The XD9 is a great gun you cant go wrong with an XD. I often carry one myself!

Keep in mind that the 3 best nines world wide are as followed (in order of right out of the accuracy) IMO
    CZ-75 (mine is sweet)
    Browning Hi-power
    Sig 226

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I suggest taking the never been fired Springfield to a range and putting some lead down range with it before you make up your mind on something else.

I agree. I love my springfield 1911.

As for what others to pick, go to local shops and try some out. See what fits your hands the best and go from there.

JTPharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Eastside
    I'm a noob as well. I read all I could find before making my purchase (XD .40 w/4" barrel), and I love it. Rented a Glock 19 9mm to shoot them side by side and hated the Glock. My father-in-law was the opposite. He loved the Glock and told me to keep my XD away from him. I was at a gun shop recently and the fella there told me the best advice I've heard yet. He simply said, "When you pick it up, you'll know." Most ranges will let you rent - some shops will even let you rent from their "used" for sale case. Shoot. Shoot often. Shoot a variety. But above all, shoot. I picked up an H&K P30 and knew immediately it is on my gotta have list. When you pick it up, you'll know...:twocents:

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    The XD9 is a good choice. You should atleast try a Glock and an M&P. A USP would also be worth a look. But all that matters is that it feels good to you and you can be accurate with it.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Hello Everyone and Thank you upfront.

I am looking for a handgun, I am 25 resposible man, I love the hobby/sport but never had the money to get into it. now I do. I plan on being a police officer in the near future. I purchased last year a 1911-a1 45 Springfield, I have not shot it yet but it is a full frame 45, I am looking to get a 9mm and maybe a 22 for some mighty hefty target practice. Any suggestions?

I am leaning pretty hard towards an XD9...

Don't waste your time on plastic guns..... :D

If you are wanting to put the paces to a weapon, buy one that is already "broken in"...... I have always loved the old Smith 9mm's for their accuracy (regardless of round count), durability (once had a 5906 that I personally put thousands of rounds through, without a single FTL/FTF), and comfort (just feels GOOD in your hands!). You should have no trouble picking up a used one on Gunbroker for a few hundred dollars that will be in more than combat-ready condition; and it will last damned near forever if you keep it clean, IMHO. :twocents:

Top Bottom