• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Not too far off from your situation. I rarely have time for INGO (requiring zero brain power, allowable while consuming beer) let alone my other hobbies. I also brew beer, do track days with my car, build crazy motorized contraptions in the garage, keep up with 40 chickens, reload ammo, and go shooting sometimes, among a thousand other things I dabble in...But since you've got the stuff, start loading. You had time to make this post, you have time to make some ammo.

Excellent post. No more excuses...just get out there and load 'em up! :)

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I would recommend the Lee Classic Turret press! The best of both worlds and I can load well over 100 per hour, not rushing. I had been saving all the brass I could find, which helped with the start up costs. Lee brand really rules and is high-quality stuff for the money!!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Every guy that I see at the range that has problems with ammo or blows up a gun was using a progressive press.

That's because they think the press is a catchall and don't watch what they are doing, they would rather put all they're faith in the press instead of relying on their own handy work, maybe if they would watch what they were doing a little more carefully they wouldn't have injuries or an expensive paperweight. Progressive presses are only as reliable as the operator.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That is a good point. Now that you say that the folks blowing guns up and having ammo related problems are not real fart smellers.

Funny how that have every make and model gun and they cant hit the broad side of a barn either. I have watched thousands of rounds shot into the dirt. This panic buying has got people into guns that never were before. Lots of nubes; so many our club had to cap the membership and is now expanding the range. I have actually left because I felt unsafe with some people down there. Got covered with the muzzle several times. Found out later the same guy went home and blew a hole in his mattress! I only shoot alone now even though it is against the rules.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No joke it is the same with the shot gun crowd. I have seen a few guys yell pull and when the clay bird leaves the house it looks like a swarm of flies flew out the end of the barrel. Its halarious and I yell " do you have a progressive press?". They look all embarased and reluctantly reply yes. It is always the case I am finding out.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I know this is more of a rant than anything (if even that) but out of however many re loaders out there in INGO land how many of you do it out of a necessity and how many of you just really like it

I started reloading a few years ago after the '08 scare. Did it more to save a little cash than anything else, but as I got into it I found that I really enjoyed the ability to 'tweak' my loads. Bought a chronograph and started to play around with changing powders, bullets, primers, etc. and found a lot of satisfaction with 'my own' loads. Like you, I don't have a boat load of time to spend on ANY of my hobbies, much less reloading - but what I've settled on is doing a sleeve of 100 primers at a time for whatever round I'm short on. I use a Lee Classic Turret, and have all my dies set up on extra turrets to make caliber changes very quick. I can usually find an hour or so a couple or three days a week which allows me to load a hundred rounds during each session. Keeps me flush, as I don't shoot a whole lot during each range trip. I'm just a couple of years from retirement, so hopefully I'll have more time on my hands - maybe I'll take up boolit casting!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you do not have time to reload, you probably do not have time to go shooting anyways. I work on my reloading in small batches, takes up smaller blocks of time that way. I personally enjoy reloading as a hobby in itself. Of course, I enjoy shooting even more.

I look at it as a hobby. I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting. I find it relaxing.

I carve out 30 minute blocks. Sometimes an hour. I can easily load 50 rounds in an hour and have another 50 primed and ready for the next time I sit down to load.

I am not loading much now because Summer is a busy time. I work 6-6 M-F and have the usual homeowner responsibilities to keep up with. Plus components are hard to find right now.

My plan was and still is to treat reloading as a Winter hobby. Things slow down, it get's dark earlier and the yard work goes away. I will try to load up enough rounds during the Winter so I don't have to load any during the Summer and I can focus on shooting them!:)

Oh, and I won't be buying a progressive...at least not at my current ammo consumption. I can leisurely load up 250-300 rounds per week with my single stage. And if I needed more, I could put in a couple hours at night during the week and have double that. On a weekend I don't shoot more than that so I am good to go!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did the reloading single stage press because of some of the rifles were of odd caliber s (22 hornet 222 rem 25-20 ECT) saved enough on a mo with just these to more than justify expense and time investments. I now reload more on average the normal stuff like 38 spl and 44 mag. The single stage lets me tweak my loads to prefect. Once I get the load down a couple of trips to a friend with a progressive and we crank then out.

Time is the limiting factor for sure. I setup and take down each time for lack of a permanent location (a decision made for family reasons as I think it makes a fine looking a decorative item in the family room).

Top Bottom