• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So eloquently stated by Han Solo all those years ago. Why is it that I read threads bad mouthing business people who are "in it for the money." I never realized how many commies there were on this forum :dunno:

When I go to work, I fully expect to be paid. I like my job and I like the fact that I do something that helps people, but I wouldn't go if I didn't get paid. ITs my job. Its how I put food on the table. You might say, I'm in it for the money.

Just out of curiosity, all those people that aren't in it for the money, why do you go to work? And explain to me why you would continue going to work if you didn't make any money? And explain to me why, if you could make more money than you do (ie get a raise) why you would turn that down out of principle?

So next time you feel like whining that a business owner is trying to make money lets just remember that so are you and I doubt if you want to give everyone the deal of a lifetime when they walk through your doors.

This doesn't mean I'm advocating dishonesty, quite the opposite. A gun with a price tag attached is as honest as it gets. We all know what it is worth and we all know what is being asked. There is no pig in a poke. Either buy or don't but please stop filling up threads with communist propaganda.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm with you %100 :thumbsup:
    .. but at the same time If I can offer you $100 less than your asking price and you say yes,
    well then I just saved myself the $100..:dunno:

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I think alot of it is that these people that whine about price, is from people that have never been self employed. They might look at it a little different if they actually had to run a business.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I'm with you %100 :thumbsup:
    .. but at the same time If I can offer you $100 less than your asking price and you say yes,
    well then I just saved myself the $100..:dunno:

Sure. nothing wrong with asking. In fact many businesses expect to be haggled. Just don't buy if they don't give the price you are willing to pay. Heck, even tell people that you think they are overpriced! When did being "in it for the money" become a mainstream insult?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'll not begrudge anyone asking whatever they wish in compensation to part with an item of which they wish to divest themselves.

I might involuntary laugh at them, but never begrudgingly.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think a lot of people are whining about the price because a lot of people on here are NOT idiots, we know what prices have been in the past and know what things are worth, but these prices right now are insane, the reason being both political and people who are willing to pay the prices who do not know much about firearms or ammo. It sucks for people who shoot a lot. I dont think the people on here whining about prices are whining because the seller wants to make money, of course, sell what you can for what people will pay, thats business and nothing wrong with it, people are whining because of the reasons the prices are so high. As for me i'll just wait, i've got what i need for now, could always have more but wont pay the prices. Something to think about-would you sell a piece of candy for 100 bucks to someone who has never had candy, has no experience with candy, has no idea the price is ridiculous? there is no right or wrong answer, but i think a lot of people would feel bad about ripping off someone, then again a lot of people would be ok with it cuz thats what someone is willing to pay. just a thought

DEstes001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Western Hendricks County
    I'm fine with people charging whatever they want for their product, I will either pay it or I won't, no big deal. I have not been on long enough to follow the complaining about the prices, but logic would have it that only an informed person can complain that a price is too high. I.E. Zippy's candy analogy. The uninformed will simply buy it or not based on their financial status at the time since they have no idea if it is overpriced or not. So the whiners have to be the informed among us, but I guess I am a whiner too if that is the case because the prices are artificially way too high. Some are gouging and others are rationing their sales but keeping the prices the same. Supply and demand are one thing but sticking it to someone because you are the only one that has it is something else. So I guess make all you can but be as honest as you feel you should be.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I've got a number of good to great customers, but occasionally you get someone who feels like he's getting shafted on the price of gunsmithing services.

I remind him that the price of the new pickup truck he drove over to the shop with declined in value by thousands more than the money I was going to charge him to fix his firearm or tune his action. And, if he really wanted to work out a swap by mowing my lawn for 3 or 4 weeks, I'd be glad to do the work for free.

There's a reason there are fewer gunsmiths today and everyone wants a Pre-64 ( or whatever year) action. Those gunsmiths either retired away from the complaining or

starved to death.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    As to "gouging"...what is it you really absolutely need to purchase today that you were able to live ALL of your life without?

If you didn't need it yesterday, chances are you don't need it today. Wait out the panic. I am.

DEstes001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Western Hendricks County
    That's my point exactly, don't feed the one's that are gouging, just wait and things will smooth out. There isn't even any reason for the panic that I can see? Does anyone at all know why the 22lr are being bought up as fast as they hit the shelves? Honestly, I have no idea and would love to know.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    So eloquently stated by Han Solo all those years ago. Why is it that I read threads bad mouthing business people who are "in it for the money." I never realized how many commies there were on this forum :dunno:

When I go to work, I fully expect to be paid. I like my job and I like the fact that I do something that helps people, but I wouldn't go if I didn't get paid. ITs my job. Its how I put food on the table. You might say, I'm in it for the money.

Just out of curiosity, all those people that aren't in it for the money, why do you go to work? And explain to me why you would continue going to work if you didn't make any money? And explain to me why, if you could make more money than you do (ie get a raise) why you would turn that down out of principle?

So next time you feel like whining that a business owner is trying to make money lets just remember that so are you and I doubt if you want to give everyone the deal of a lifetime when they walk through your doors.

This doesn't mean I'm advocating dishonesty, quite the opposite. A gun with a price tag attached is as honest as it gets. We all know what it is worth and we all know what is being asked. There is no pig in a poke. Either buy or don't but please stop filling up threads with communist propaganda.

So can I intrest you in a case of 223 for $900?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So can I intrest you in a case of 223 for $900?

Nope. And not really the point. I'm not saying we should be paying the crazy prices asked. I'm not even specifically referring to the current trend. I'm referring to the specific "insult" that a business person is trying to make money. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't complain about a price. What I'm concerned about is that people seem to think that business owners should be more interested in helping than making money. This is a very marxist attitude among a group that for the most part claims to be a freedom loving crew.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The WORST price gouging I have seen has been at he Gun shows involving AMMO pricing. When I see a $24 brick of .22LR ammo being sold for $75, it's pretty obvious that the seller is trying to gouge us. His choice. My choice is to not ever buy from that person. And I tend to tell them that.

We ALL have a right to do business, and decide what we will sell stuff for. We also all have a right to decide who we will and will NOT do business with. I keep track of the gougers. And I will always take my business elsewhere.

I started this after 9-11....when the gas stations almost all went nuts, and started charging ridiculous prices. I drove around and made a list of who was and wasn't gouging. And i wrote as letter to the Lawrence, KS newspaper, THANKING the local BP station in my neighborhood for holding their prices steady, while almost everyone else jacked them up sky high. i then NAMED some of the WORST perpetrators. What happened next was astounding. Some folks started picketing those stations. their business suffered.

I also made it a point to personally MEET the manager of the BP station, and to shake his hand and thank him.

We have some gun shops here in Indiana that are holding the line on what they are charging, and not jacking up prices when they could be. We need to THANK them for doing the RIGHT thing. :)

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I am in the pet care industry, and I always get people that drop off their dog for 2 days and say but he was only there for less then 24 hours so I should only be billed for one day.............yet I had to pay 2 days worth of utilities, insurance, payroll for each person employed, Payroll taxes which the employer has to match, property taxes, plus the $266.00 per day to the bank for the business loan, not to mention the cost of repairs that have to be done in order to keep your pet safe, and Oh yeah the fact that I have to loose on average 5% of the transaction just because you wanted to pay with a credit card. So forgive me for charging you the amount of days that your dog was actually here for, what was I thinking because you know I am just rolling in the dough! I understand what the Op is getting at, I just wish others would understand that it cost a lot of money just to open your doors and as long as this administration keeps up like they have it is going to cost more for everything because we haven't even discussed what Obamacare has done, let alone the new prospect of a $9.00 an hour minimum wage!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    But people don't care what it costs to run a business. Which is what drives your pricing. Most people think if you're self employed, all you do is count money all day. It's like someone once told me. "There are plenty of customers that are willing to help you go out of business". And yes, unfortunately, small business is getting more difficult by the day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom