• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Since the video was taken on school property during school hours , I don't doubt the school claims possession. If those claims are legal is what will be lawyered out.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    The school certainly has a right to confiscate the phones until a parent comes to get it. However destroying whatever is on the phone is out of bounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If what goes to trial? The incident with the male student or the confiscation/deletion of student phone info? THe latter would just be a civil trial I presume. If the former though, I suppose it could depend on the what actually transpired (did one of them hit the student?) and the desire of the prosecutor. SO, yeah, I guess they could, but they probably won't.

That's so 20th Century. Schools are issuing iPads, and in our school, we routinely 'look things up' on the internet. About 50% of my PK son's work is on the computer or electronic device. Older son does about 20-25% on it. Learning isn't just done at a desk with a bunch of books. In fact, for some kids, it doesn't happen that way at all.

I know. I have to catch up with the times. I think my reference was to how much time is spent on a phone and the way life revolves around them now.
    I see them as a tool and needed in todays fast paced world but they are a terrible distraction as well. Time and a place. Oh man, did I say that again.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    As a father of three young boys, my wife and I regularly consider home school. But there are still some major positives to traditional schooling. It is becoming more clear as the new generation of progressive brain washed teacher take over the schools it will only get worse.

tbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    gosport area
    as an oldskool military man, ya remove your cover when you are under roof

it seems the govt. on all levels is getting to big for its britches,& putting its nose to far up our buts

Last edited by a moderator:

BigShow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    If what goes to trial? The incident with the male student or the confiscation/deletion of student phone info? THe latter would just be a civil trial I presume. If the former though, I suppose it could depend on the what actually transpired (did one of them hit the student?) and the desire of the prosecutor. SO, yeah, I guess they could, but they probably won't.

That's so 20th Century. Schools are issuing iPads, and in our school, we routinely 'look things up' on the internet. About 50% of my PK son's work is on the computer or electronic device. Older son does about 20-25% on it. Learning isn't just done at a desk with a bunch of books. In fact, for some kids, it doesn't happen that way at all.

I was thinking the part with the teacher and student. The video would clearly show a judge and jury what happened, and gives a feel of cover up by the school as they destroyed evidence.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Coulda... Shoulda... Woulda...

Whether or not the students could, should, or not be allowed to have cell phones at school is irrelevant due to the fact that, presuming the article is accurate, they ARE allowed to have phones - AND use them before class begins.

School employees, aka government employees, are limited by the Constitution as much as any other government employee. The students have a right, perhaps diminished, but still a right to private property.

The digital recording of any government employee should be allowed so long as it is not interfering with that agents ability to perform their job function. The first amendment of the Constitution guarantees our right to petition the government for the redress of grievances. We must be allowed to record such grievances if we are to seek remedy against them.

To take a childs private property without immediately contacting that childs lawful guardian is grossly inappropriate. To destroy anything that child owns is criminal EVEN IF the child was in the wrong, as that could be evidence one way or the other.

It never ceases to amaze me the hubris that some people feel when given a little bit of power. What was so bloody horrific in the first place about the kid wearing a hat? Granted, I am older and it is appropriate as I was raised to remove your cover when in doors. However, it isn't a crime. While the kid that didn't remove his may have overreacted that doesn't mean that the school officials were also not overreacting as well. Perhaps that is a pattern here and the boy just finally had enough...? I do not know.

The sad reality is that every PARENT isn't up in arms and demanding to seek rules limiting what school employees may or may not take from the students, along with HOW they may and may not take items they are entitled to take.

It is stories like these that illustrate children learn not only what they are told, but what they see as well.

Regards,

Doug

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    As a father of three young boys, my wife and I regularly consider home school. But there are still some major positives to traditional schooling. It is becoming more clear as the new generation of progressive brain washed teacher take over the schools it will only get worse.

I'd be curious to see those perceived benefits enumerated.

Top Bottom