• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all, I moved to Michigan last fall. Now that 6 months have passed, I can apply for the MI CPL. Before anyone corrects me and calls it a LTCH... that's not the case in Michigan. It is a concealed pistol license (CPL) here.

The state requires a basic CPL class (legalities, and basics of gun ownership), and a basic range certification.
    I took the class yesterday and shot the qualification (we simply had to keep 80% of shots on a 8.5x11 paper at 3, 4, 5, and 7 yds in various positions). I shot a group the size of a plum :)

The classroom portion was mostly review for me, since I take an interest in knowing the gun laws of the states where I live. Talk about some confusing laws for hanguns. Example ... alcohol. .02-.079 BAC + carrying a gun gets you a civil infraction ($100), plus you lose your CPL for 1 yr., but .08+ BAC gets a misdemeanor carrying under the influence and a 3 yr suspension. Not to mention that private party transfers of handguns need a permit to purchase beforehand AND a registration afterwards. And then there's the pistol free zones, which as state law, limits a lot more places where one could carry. (any theater/place with over 2500 seats under the same roof -- like a big megaplex movie theater is not simply a private property (trespassing) issue, it is coded into the law because of the number of seats... can't say that I love that idea.

It was a good mixed class, with mostly white men from 25-50, but 3 older ladies, and a couple (self-identified) latinos.
    Of the 13 students, 2 had serious events in the last year -- a home invasion and a stick-up, and the instructor had also had a home invasion previously. It took the stick-up victim 45 minutes to get through to police when he called to report it. Go Detroit?!?
    Some serious stuff goes down in "the D."

Besides the discrepancies between IN and MI law, I really liked the class and range time and was very happy to see others' sincere interest in taking a step towards protecting themselves.

The CPL here has a 5 yr shelf life.
    I still proudly have my lifetime IN LTCH

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of the 13 students, 2 had serious events in the last year -- a home invasion and a stick-up, and the instructor had also had a home invasion previously.

Not surprised in Michigan. Who is the MI instructor who has had a plurality of his students involved in gun fights? I think he holds the record for students that have had contact. Same guy that is "Legally Armed in Detroit"?

I have a friend that lives on Grosse Ile but his practice is near Dearborn. His commute can be . . . overly stimulating for this mid-sized city Hoosier.

I go to gun school with a Detroit cop. His stories are fascinating but terrifying. Make me appreciate how soft we have it here.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not surprised in Michigan. Who is the MI instructor who has had a plurality of his students involved in gun fights? I think he holds the record for students that have had contact. Same guy that is "Legally Armed in Detroit"?

I have a friend that lives on Grosse Ile but his practice is near Dearborn. His commute can be . . . overly stimulating for this mid-sized city Hoosier.

I go to gun school with a Detroit cop. His stories are fascinating but terrifying. Make me appreciate how soft we have it here.

My instructor was not the same guy as legally armed in Detroit. (if that was you question)
    Ours was a retired -- cop in FL, Detroit, and then Washtenaw Co (MI) Sheriff Deputy.
    Yes, some of the stories that we also heard second-hand from folks in class were pretty eye-opening (in addition to the 1st hand accounts)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hi all, I moved to Michigan last fall. Now that 6 months have passed, I can apply for the MI CPL. Before anyone corrects me and calls it a LTCH... that's not the case in Michigan. It is a concealed pistol license (CPL) here.

The state requires a basic CPL class (legalities, and basics of gun ownership), and a basic range certification.
    I took the class yesterday and shot the qualification (we simply had to keep 80% of shots on a 8.5x11 paper at 3, 4, 5, and 7 yds in various positions). I shot a group the size of a plum :)

The classroom portion was mostly review for me, since I take an interest in knowing the gun laws of the states where I live. Talk about some confusing laws for hanguns. Example ... alcohol. .02-.079 BAC + carrying a gun gets you a civil infraction ($100), plus you lose your CPL for 1 yr., but .08+ BAC gets a misdemeanor carrying under the influence and a 3 yr suspension. Not to mention that private party transfers of handguns need a permit to purchase beforehand AND a registration afterwards. And then there's the pistol free zones, which as state law, limits a lot more places where one could carry. (any theater/place with over 2500 seats under the same roof -- like a big megaplex movie theater is not simply a private property (trespassing) issue, it is coded into the law because of the number of seats... can't say that I love that idea.

It was a good mixed class, with mostly white men from 25-50, but 3 older ladies, and a couple (self-identified) latinos.
    Of the 13 students, 2 had serious events in the last year -- a home invasion and a stick-up, and the instructor had also had a home invasion previously. It took the stick-up victim 45 minutes to get through to police when he called to report it. Go Detroit?!?
    Some serious stuff goes down in "the D."

Besides the discrepancies between IN and MI law, I really liked the class and range time and was very happy to see others' sincere interest in taking a step towards protecting themselves.

The CPL here has a 5 yr shelf life.
    I still proudly have my lifetime IN LTCH

I'm curious, do those places with over 2500 seats have to have signage indicating the number of seats? This is what happens when politicians get involved with their "common sense" logic. It turns carrying a gun into filing your taxes.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm curious, do those places with over 2500 seats have to have signage indicating the number of seats? This is what happens when politicians get involved with their "common sense" logic. It turns carrying a gun into filing your taxes.

good question... not sure if they are required to post it, or if they even post it at all...
    I'll get back to you when I figure it out

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I am from Detroit, but live here in Fishers thank God. I visited the folks up there last month and we went back to where I grew up. It's now a crack house and most houses are boarded up, burnt out, or have finally been raised to the ground. Mile after mile of urban blight my A$$, down right devistation on a massive scale, nothing in Indy looks that bad yet.
    Glad I had my Glock with me, wanted an M-4 and some frags, just for a day trip! Mogadishu Michigan they call it, the "D" is DEAD!!!
    Glad you got your CPL.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

The individual either knows or should know that the seating capacity of 2,500 or more or that has a sign above the entrances. Letter height specified and stating that seating capacity is 2,500 or more. But, no. They aren't required to have a sign stating that.

Top Bottom