I'm begining to understand the popularity of the ........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    .30 cal. M1 Carbine and why G.I's liked it so much even after they returned from service.
    I have a 20" Rossi model 92 lever action carbine in .357/38 special caliber and I like it very much. With Hornady, LeverEvolution ammo I'm getting 1975 fps with 140 gn bullets.
    That's about what the M1 carbine gets from the 110 gn FMJ round as advertised at 1990 fps.
    My lever action holds as I remember 11-13 rounds, I'm to lazy to go re-check, whereas the M1 carbine holds 15-30 rounds and loads much quicker and has roughly the same power.
    Both are light weight and very easy to handle.
    I have all of the self loading military rifles from WWII on up except the M1 Carbine and I wasn't really interested in one untill I came across one at what I thought was a reasonable price and I was able to buy it.
    Now, since I have had time to shoot it and handle it more, I find that it is fast becoming one of my favorites.
    Now I have teamed up my lever action rifle with my 4" S&W model 66-1 or my .38 caliber Uberti model "P" Junior and either of them make a great pair, so I guess I'll team up my M1 Carbine with my G.I. 1911-A1 .45 Auto even though they don't share the same ammo but they go so well together.
    I also have a .22 LR cal. version of the M1 Carbine for somewhat cheaper shooting practice.
    Yes, the M1 carbine was under powered compared to the M1 Garand or the M14/M1A but I still wouldn't want anyone shooting at me with it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Wish the current administration hadn't blocked the import of 700,000 M1 carbines given to South Korea.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    The M1 carbine has long been on my list of wants but I seem to buy other guns instead. I wish I had bought one when the CMP had them for sale. I did get a nice Garand, but still wish I had a carbine. Glad you are enjoying yours.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just ran my M1 Carbine through its paces yesterday and had a blast doing so. It's a pretty fun gun to shoot and even in my amateur status I was getting fairly good shots on target. I'd just stripped, cleaned, and re-greased it so I was pretty happy I hadn't fouled anything up. :)

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    If you want a pistol to pair it up with to share ammo, check out the Ruger Blackhawk. I have both the Blackhawk and a M1 Carbine and its by far my most favorite combo to shoot. The percussion from the Blackhawk is awe inspiring. My only gripe is cost of ammo. But, that's why I got into reloading.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Flightsimmer, you have just stated, what I have been saying, for over 30 years..... That the .30 Carbine, is almost exactly the same, as the .357 Mag., in a rifle..... BUT, SOME indoor ranges, will allow .357, and .44 Mag., rifles, but NOT the .30 Carbine ..... WHY ?????

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Flightsimmer, you have just stated, what I have been saying, for over 30 years..... That the .30 Carbine, is almost exactly the same, as the .357 Mag., in a rifle..... BUT, SOME indoor ranges, will allow .357, and .44 Mag., rifles, but NOT the .30 Carbine ..... WHY ?????

I would have to ask the range owner but could it be they don't want steel core or maybe tracer ammo?
    But yes they do seem to be very close on power and velocity.
    I finally found some fmj .30 carbine ammo but I would also like to get some Horady HP FTX Critical defense ammo if this shortage ever lets up.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I could have purchased a .30 M1 carbine 30 years ago for cheap. A friend of mine had one and it was a blast to shoot and would serious destroy our junk targets. I think the M1 carbine is on Feinstein's list and I want one for no other reason than that.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My Inland M1 carbine is a pleasant shooter. So much so, that I started out a new young shooter with it a few weeks ago. He had a great time and was proud of his accomplishment. He also had interest in WWll memorabilia, so it was a win-win for him. I try to get it to the range around Memorial day, along with the Remington Rand 1911 to honor my wifes and my fathers service during the war. Did you know that an M1 carbine shoots fairly well with tears in your eyes? (or so I've heard!;))

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I just got a first generation Universal M1 Carbine. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend!

Do you know the effective range and accuracy? How well do you think it will do on coyotes?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    One of the things about the Carbine that I wanted to improve on was the sights.
    They are a little slow to use sometimes and when I try to shoot quickly I sometimes pick up one of the sight protector ears on the front sight and in low light or some background colors I lose them altogether. So I've been looking for other options.

I came across a Picatinney rail system for the G.I. .30 cal. M1 Carbine (and others) that allows you to firmly mount optics without making any permanent changes to the weapon itself, all you do is swap out the top handguard and it looks cool also.

It's from UltiMAK Mfg. UltiMAK M6-B .30 M1 Carbine Optic Mount Installation Instructions It cost about $100.00 and it's quick and easy to install.
    This allowed me to mount a new Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) red dot sight on it and now I have one of the best all around weapons in my safe, yes, I also have an AR-15 (M4) but the M1 Carbine is wood and metal that us old foggies like best and I'm using Hornady FTX Critical Defence ammo in it for home defence use which addresses the one issue that G.I.'s complained about which was stopping power.

It's a marriage of both old and new which I think is just about as perfect as you can get. Yeah, I like the AR-15 Carbine too but what can say.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    One of the things about the Carbine that I wanted to improve on was the sights.
    They are a little slow to use sometimes and when I try to shoot quickly I sometimes pick up one of the sight protector ears on the front sight and in low light or some background colors I lose them altogether. So I've been looking for other options.

I came across a Picatinney rail system for the G.I. .30 cal. M1 Carbine (and others) that allows you to firmly mount optics without making any permanent changes to the weapon itself, all you do is swap out the top handguard and it looks cool also.

It's from UltiMAK Mfg. UltiMAK M6-B .30 M1 Carbine Optic Mount Installation Instructions It cost about $100.00 and it's quick and easy to install.
    This allowed me to mount a new Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) red dot sight on it and now I have one of the best all around weapons in my safe, yes, I also have an AR-15 (M4) but the M1 Carbine is wood and metal that us old foggies like best and I'm using Hornady FTX Critical Defence ammo in it for home defence use which addresses the one issue that G.I.'s complained about which was stopping power.

It's a marriage of both old and new which I think is just about as perfect as you can get. Yeah, I like the AR-15 Carbine too but what can say.

I like my M1 - had it for several years - bought it before they became expensive. It is fun to shoot, haven't shot mine in a few years - have had too many other additions to my collection and have to try them all for a while :>). I, like you, do not like the "plastic firearms". I recently upgraded a Norinko AK - installed Walnut furniture from Ironwood! Also built up an LR-308 last year - used Walnut stock and hand guard from Precision Firearms. I do really like my Garand's though, and with my Colt Double Eagle in 45 ACP consider them a good pairing. Do wish the surplus 30 carbine ammo hadn't dried up and gotten so expensive. I have a pretty decent stock and my son & I do reload - but would have liked to have picked up another thousand rounds at the old prices (who wouldn't).

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm one of the wood and steel old foogies myself, and the M1 Carbine is one of my favorites.
    flightsimmer if you haven't done it yet you should look into putting a light on it. I believe it is a Vltor offset mount that I used. It puts the tailend of a G2 light right near the thumb of my offhand. The mount I used is quick-detach, but Vltor also has the same mount that uses a knob to tighten the clamp. I'm thinking about getting the knob version the next time I buy a mount.
    It's amazing how much different an M1 Carbine feels in your hands if you put two 15 round magazines in a buttstock pouch. When I'm plinking, walking ect the buttstock pouch is empty.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    .30 cal. M1 Carbine and why G.I's liked it so much even after they returned from service.
    I have a 20" Rossi model 92 lever action carbine in .357/38 special caliber and I like it very much. With Hornady, LeverEvolution ammo I'm getting 1975 fps with 140 gn bullets.
    That's about what the M1 carbine gets from the 110 gn FMJ round as advertised at 1990 fps.
    My lever action holds as I remember 11-13 rounds, I'm to lazy to go re-check, whereas the M1 carbine holds 15-30 rounds and loads much quicker and has roughly the same power.
    Both are light weight and very easy to handle.
    I have all of the self loading military rifles from WWII on up except the M1 Carbine and I wasn't really interested in one untill I came across one at what I thought was a reasonable price and I was able to buy it.
    Now, since I have had time to shoot it and handle it more, I find that it is fast becoming one of my favorites.
    Now I have teamed up my lever action rifle with my 4" S&W model 66-1 or my .38 caliber Uberti model "P" Junior and either of them make a great pair, so I guess I'll team up my M1 Carbine with my G.I. 1911-A1 .45 Auto even though they don't share the same ammo but they go so well together.
    I also have a .22 LR cal. version of the M1 Carbine for somewhat cheaper shooting practice.
    Yes, the M1 carbine was under powered compared to the M1 Garand or the M14/M1A but I still wouldn't want anyone shooting at me with it.

Shot one growing up. My uncle supplied my dad with all the M1 Carbine ammo my dad wanted free as he had access to it through his NG position in the 1960s. We shot the carbine like most of our other country friends shot the 22. It was/is a great plucking rifle. It is also a good small varmint game rifle (possum and raccoon). Probably would also make a good home defense weapon. I have now personally acquired a few but only shoot them occasionally. They are as much fun as ever to shoot. They seem to always function properly. I have a M1 Garrand also that I have never shot. I would like to acquire a 1903 but just have not got around to shopping for one. The prices on Gunbrokers for the 1903 look scarey to me.

Top Bottom