• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You tried to do a good thing and maybe made a mistake in helping someone out.. The other guy is the idiot for taking advantage.

It happens too often, live and learn.

Hope things turn out ok.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    85hz08jgwr.jpg

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Had pretty much the same deal happen to me awhile ago. I listed myself as the lienholder on it, he wrecked it, didn't plate it, moved out of state, left the truck at his mom's for me totaled. Be glad you weren't in the situation.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Well I did finally manage to get ahold of him. He gave me some bs about how he hasnt gotten a paycheckmfor a while and he just got it and will bring me some money tomorrow, but im not holding my breath on that. IF he does manage to bring me anything I am going to try to talk him into letting me hold onto the title or something (he isnt the brightest). I really cant think of anything else I could really do to ensure I get paid. Maybe get him to sighn another contract stating what he owes me or something?

I have my doubts he will show up, but if he does any ideas of what I could do. ( nonviolent and legal lol)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Put a lien on the title if he hasn't already plated it. Also make a contract, two copies, write the payments that he has made on there, both of you initial every payment.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If he is sincere you need to determine if he has the ability to pay you. Ask when he will pay, how much will he pay, and where will the money come from and can regular payment arrangements be made until you are paid off. Does he in fact have a steady source of income? His wife's income?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sometimes you do the right thing and the person does not return the favor. I have done exactly that, selling a dependable car to people that were desperate. I got burned too. Even if the man does not have enough good character to pay you, it is still a merciful gesture to make sure women and babies are able to stay out of the elements in a safe car. As a Christian, it is my belief that my good deeds are not un noticed and that my chances will be better when I am in need. Doing the right thing is usually inconvenient and somewhat sacrificial.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I did finally manage to get ahold of him. He gave me some bs about how he hasnt gotten a paycheckmfor a while and he just got it and will bring me some money tomorrow, but im not holding my breath on that. IF he does manage to bring me anything I am going to try to talk him into letting me hold onto the title or something (he isnt the brightest). I really cant think of anything else I could really do to ensure I get paid. Maybe get him to sighn another contract stating what he owes me or something?

I have my doubts he will show up, but if he does any ideas of what I could do. ( nonviolent and legal lol)

Nothing I can think of fits the non-violent/legal stipulations you list.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometimes you do the right thing and the person does not return the favor. I have done exactly that, selling a dependable car to people that were desperate. I got burned too. Even if the man does not have enough good character to pay you, it is still a merciful gesture to make sure women and babies are able to stay out of the elements in a safe car. As a Christian, it is my belief that my good deeds are not un noticed and that my chances will be better when I am in need. Doing the right thing is usually inconvenient and somewhat sacrificial.

Totally this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have been screwed out of cars by family and folks in need. Took a minute for me to see whats up. Every time we have tried to "Help Out" all we did was get someone back up and going so they could go back to being a DA.

Every good deed done in this life has to count for something somewhere. Just as every bad one should as well.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Totally this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have been screwed out of cars by family and folks in need. Took a minute for me to see whats up. Every time we have tried to "Help Out" all we did was get someone back up and going so they could go back to being a DA.

Every good deed done in this life has to count for something somewhere. Just as every bad one should as well.

thanks guys I agree as well, as much as it sucks a few people on here seem to understand where I was coming from regardless of my lapse of better judgement on how I handled it. They were reduced to driving a car with no brakes and using the parking brake to stop and I would feel even worse if they had got creamed by another vehicle when I could have simply done what I did. Now in my opinion that was a total dumbass kove on their part and they should have taken the bus, but you cant fix stupid.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Can you forgive the debt and give them a 1099 or whatever and file it with the IRS? Forgiven debt is income :)

most people in these situations are there because of their repeated bad decisions in life. Giving them temporary aid doesn't fix the underlying problem. They will likely continue to make the same mistakes and bad decisions, but now they get to do it in your car, or house, or with your money. These things should come with lifestyle or education-based stipulations. Some sort of accountability method if possible.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    thanks I will look into that! might be a good option in my situation!
    Can you forgive the debt and give them a 1099 or whatever and file it with the IRS? Forgiven debt is income :)

most people in these situations are there because of their repeated bad decisions in life. Giving them temporary aid doesn't fix the underlying problem. They will likely continue to make the same mistakes and bad decisions, but now they get to do it in your car, or house, or with your money. These things should come with lifestyle or education-based stipulations. Some sort of accountability method if possible.

buckshotJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2013
    usa
    Small claims court.....you have a signed agreement and he has no paid in full receipt. He likely wont show for court and you would win by default anyway. It would be up to you to collect your "winnings", but do so with the sheriffs department in tow

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That might work. If they have state and federal taxes owed they could get the vehicle towed on tax debt. Seen that happen to an idiot neighbor. Owed the state...blew them off....officer freindly shows up with papers and a tow truck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I'll second this! I know somebody that had a $6k Credit card dismissed and the company did that to them. They ended up going from a $275 tax refund to a $1,700.00 LIABILITY.

If you do your own taxes and normally use TurboTax, the home and business edition (about $20 more than deluxe) allows you to issue 1099s. You can probably also do it on paper as well, but no matter how you go, get a gander at his social security card to verify his SSN so you are sure you are issuing the pain to the correct person. I'd hate for him to give you a bogus # and get a double whammy when the IRS says "uh, that guy you 1099'd doesnt exist, we are auditing you" 5 years from now.

But if you dont itemize and only file a 1099EZ, this will only screw them and give you no benefit. I'd talk to a tax pro for advice.

Just say "hey, I know you are having issues, but tell ya what. I'm just gonna write this off on my taxes, but I need your SSN to do it. You wont have to pay me any more and can keep the truck." Odds are he wont know the full impact until its too late. (if he even pays taxes at all... )

Disclaimer: I'm not a tax lawyer, only a taxpayer with a little bit if real world experience. Your mileage may vary, Batteries not included, for external use only. See a doctor if the erection lasts longer than 8 hours. May cause decrease in vision and explosive diarrhea. yadda yadda yadda.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll second this! I know somebody that had a $6k Credit card dismissed and the company did that to them. They ended up going from a $275 tax refund to a $1,700.00 LIABILITY.

If you do your own taxes and normally use TurboTax, the home and business edition (about $20 more than deluxe) allows you to issue 1099s. You can probably also do it on paper as well, but no matter how you go, get a gander at his social security card to verify his SSN so you are sure you are issuing the pain to the correct person. I'd hate for him to give you a bogus # and get a double whammy when the IRS says "uh, that guy you 1099'd doesnt exist, we are auditing you" 5 years from now.

But if you dont itemize and only file a 1099EZ, this will only screw them and give you no benefit. I'd talk to a tax pro for advice.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tax lawyer, only a taxpayer with a little bit if real world experience. Your mileage may vary, Batteries not included, for external use only. See a doctor if the erection lasts longer than 8 hours. May cause decrease in vision and explosive diarrhea. yadda yadda yadda.

And then you may experience the "greasy discharge"

I have no idea what that is or where from but it was listed as a side effect for one of the mirical drugs advertised on the tube.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And then you may experience the "greasy discharge"

I have no idea what that is or where from but it was listed as a side effect for one of the mirical drugs advertised on the tube.

Yeah, I have no idea either, but listening to several drug adverts, I have to wonder "if there are this many side effects, are they any better than the condition they are treating?" When half of your commercial is dedicated to the potential side effects of a non life threatening disorder, is it REALLY worth it? "I'll tell ya Bill, I may be bleeding from the eyeballs, have seizures about 3x a year, and I have a massive case of the runs daily, but at least I get intimate time with the wife when she lets me... (every 3 months)" :scratch:

Top Bottom