• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This has been in the works for a while. It started out with a bullet tax on the bill as well. They were talking about charging $.05 PER ROUND tax on ALL ammunition sold in the city limits of Chicago.
    They dropped the "bullet tax" when someone pointed out how much a 50 round count box of .22Lr would be if they added $5 per box tax.

It's just one more hoop to try to get you to jump through to be able to exercise your 2nd amendment "rights".

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    So how is this different from a "poll tax" which has been previously held to be unconstitutional? It seems to me that the same argument that prevailed in Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections would be applicable here. A tax on a constitutionally guaranteed right (voting or owning a firearm) is discriminatory against the poorer citizen. As such, the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause is violated.

I'd be interested in hearing what any attorneys here have to say on this but I suspect we'll see a legal challenge to this. But as we have seen in several states (IL, CO, NY) as well as at the federal level, the Constitution is meaningless when more important things are at stake.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So how is this different from a "poll tax" which has been previously held to be unconstitutional? It seems to me that the same argument that prevailed in Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections would be applicable here. A tax on a constitutionally guaranteed right (voting or owning a firearm) is discriminatory against the poorer citizen. As such, the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause is violated.

I'd be interested in hearing what any attorneys here have to say on this but I suspect we'll see a legal challenge to this. But as we have seen in several states (IL, CO, NY) as well as at the federal level, the Constitution is meaningless when more important things are at stake.

I agree, with this 100%..... Def. UN Constitutional..... IMO .....

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The state is broke because of Chicago. Throw out Chitcago and the rest of the state is pretty normal.

I would call the rest the whole state the same. From the east St. Louis and Peoria crowd to libs in Champaign and Carbondale, union coal stooges down south to the union stooges of the north west, the whole state in infested with leftists!

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    So let me get this straight. Taxing the legally purchased firearm that account for "nearly 30%" of guns used in crimes is going to cut the cost made by the over 70% that were not purchased legally in cook co. Makes perfect sense

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    So let me get this straight. Taxing the legally purchased firearm that account for "nearly 30%" of guns used in crimes is going to cut the cost made by the over 70% that were not purchased legally in cook co. Makes perfect sense

Don't confuse me with the facts. I KNOW I'm right and no matter what it takes we're going to get these evil weapons-of-war OFF our streets. It's the CHILDREN, we've GOT TO PROTECT the CHILDREN! Nothing is too important to sacrifice for the CHILDREN'S safety!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Until they all flee to Indiana and bring their liberal voting patterns with them (cf. Colorado/California). ;)

So far they aren't coming here thankfully! We generate our electricity with coal and have actual industrial production. We're among the "evil" states that cause global warming!

Not a "trendy" place to move to...

Besides, too many rednecks here... ;)

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    &%$k the communist state of Illinois. Course thats just my opinion, but it's good enough for me.

I'm a transplant to Ind. My opinion reflected above.

But Indiana has a "Carry" wall to the west. I still farm and work in Illinois.

it's in everybody's best interest to chip away at the Illinois gun laws. I still support the ISRA.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Its much easier to control the law-abiding than those who are the real problem:

[ame="http://youtu.be/sHAGm-E7hDo"]http://youtu.be/sHAGm-E7hDo[/ame]

Top Bottom