illegally modified gun, how do you tell?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I concur with IndianaGTI. My first thought upon reading the question was, "why are you going out looking for this." If it's comes incident to an arrest on other charges that's one thing, but no reason to go looking for it. Let ATF do their own job, they won't even thank you for doing it for them.
    I'm not fishing for an initial charge, but looking for additional. And if I can get a criminal the charges he deserves, then I have done my job. If I stop at just accepting it as just a weapon, then I have failed you the citizens that I serve. We all as citizens have to pay the thousands for the fun toys, criminals should have to as well.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I'm not fishing for an initial charge, but looking for additional. And if I can get a criminal the charges he deserves, then I have done my job. If I stop at just accepting it as just a weapon, then I have failed you the citizens that I serve. We all as citizens have to pay the thousands for the fun toys, criminals should have to as well.

If you have an initial charge, then you would legally be confiscating the firearm. If you suspect the gun could be converted to full auto, can't the gun be fully inspected in a controlled environment rather than when you "stop someone on the street".

The ISP officer that shot his partner confiscated a Beretta .32 with tip-up barrel. He dropped the mag then racked the slide. He then pointed the gun downward in what he thought was a safe direction and pulled the trigger. Apparently, the racking of the slide did not clear the chamber and it was not pointed in a safe direction. It can happen.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    If you have an initial charge, then you would legally be confiscating the firearm. If you suspect the gun could be converted to full auto, can't the gun be fully inspected in a controlled environment rather than when you "stop someone on the street".

The ISP officer that shot his partner confiscated a Beretta .32 with tip-up barrel. He dropped the mag then racked the slide. He then pointed the gun downward in what he thought was a safe direction and pulled the trigger. Apparently, the racking of the slide did not clear the chamber and it was not pointed in a safe direction. It can happen.
    Did he visually and physically inspect the chamber? I'm not going to Monday Morning QB because I was not there and do not know everything that happened, but maybe things could have been done different.

This thread is getting way off track. I have got the information I needed.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    this sounds safe

I think Indiana GTIs sugjestion is a very good one.
    in my mind your asking how to fondle several firearms on the sideof the road to see if you can magically come up with one that is illegally modified .....
    maybe you should stick to just giving tickets !!!

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    So let me start by saying I do not want any information what so ever on how to illegally make a gun full auto! What I would like to know is, if I stop someone on the street and they have a Mac, Uzi, Tec-9, AR on them, how would I be able to tell if they have illegally modified it to shoot fully auto? Obviously I will not be able to shoot the firearm on the street, so please do not give that as an answer. Mods if this is not appropriate feel free to delete. Thanks to those with the knowledge.
    AR's and AK's will have a third pin in the reciever to carry the auto sear ,or if you open one up (upper /lower separation ) you'll see a small metal block (drop in auto sear) or a piece of flat metal with a tail sticking up (lighting link ) behind the rear take down pin . Which hold both of these in place .And yes there is more to it than that .BUt you'll see something out of place !

Last edited:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    this sounds safe

in my mind your asking how to fondle several firearms on the sideof the road to see if you can magically come up with one that is illegally modified .....
    100% correct:rockwoot::yesway: Since when was it the cops job to invent and tack on additional charges? Must be profiling! Young white adult male driving a nice car legally carryin a gun, drug dealer! call in the dogs and the atf to check his gun:noway: OOPs your ok now the cheif leo said so after the prosecutor told him to quit illegally detaining him! FTP:patriot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmmm.... I know of a really simple way. Make sure the mag is loaded... flip the safety off, pull the trigger. Does it fire more than once? If so, you've found your answer. If not, try other switches and buttons to see if that changes the result. If that doesn't help then go ahead and try to manipulate it and see if you can get it to fire more than once.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    this sounds safe

Yeah I'll stick to that and we will just continue to let thugs kill each other on our city streets because you feel that I should stick to writing tickets. Do me a favor and drive through my area why don't you and I will give you a ticket. I don't go out looking to write tickets, I go out looking for people who are buying and selling dope in my neighborhoods. I go out looking for people who are breaking into the house of the good people in my neighborhoods. I go out looking for the killers who are shooting off guns and killing people. I know how to do my job thanks. If you ever want to see what's it's like, come on out for a ride-a-long. Better yet do it on New Years Eve when everyone is shooting their guns in the air and you have to be the one to go apprehend them. Don't you wish you would have got that gun off of them months ago???????

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    100% correct:rockwoot::yesway: Since when was it the cops job to invent and tack on additional charges? Must be profiling! Young white adult male driving a nice car legally carryin a gun, drug dealer! call in the dogs and the atf to check his gun:noway: OOPs your ok now the cheif leo said so after the prosecutor told him to quit illegally detaining him! FTP:patriot:
    Really? I hope this was supposed to be in purple

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Mods feel free to close as all valuable information has been obtained and this is getting off topic. If people would like to further talk to me about it, they can PM me.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Yeah I'll stick to that and we will just continue to let thugs kill each other on our city streets because you feel that I should stick to writing tickets. Do me a favor and drive through my area why don't you and I will give you a ticket. I don't go out looking to write tickets, I go out looking for people who are buying and selling dope in my neighborhoods. I go out looking for people who are breaking into the house of the good people in my neighborhoods. I go out looking for the killers who are shooting off guns and killing people. I know how to do my job thanks. If you ever want to see what's it's like, come on out for a ride-a-long. Better yet do it on New Years Eve when everyone is shooting their guns in the air and you have to be the one to go apprehend them. Don't you wish you would have got that gun off of them months ago???????

calm down fella :patriot:
    My initial thought when reading the OP was that during rutine trafic stops if you seen a Evil Black Rifle in sight your first reaction was to confiscate the firearm & try to find out if you think its been illegally modified :dunno:
    I have a plethora of EBRs & the majority of them are made to look like the real deal !! Safe semi full selectors so on so forth.
    I agree with you 100% about dumb asses shooting guns in the air on new years as well as the other examples youve given of people using firearms unlawfully.
    My concern is ... what about us legal gun owners that hav jumped thru the BATF hoops to have our legal firearms. Should we be harrased by someone that doesnt know thier way around firearms :dunno:

Further more i may take you up on that ride along

I apologize if i came of like an ass!
    It was early in the morning :patriot:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    calm down fella :patriot:
    Sorry, early morning for me too.
    My initial thought when reading the OP was that during rutine trafic stops if you seen a Evil Black Rifle in sight your first reaction was to confiscate the firearm & try to find out if you think its been illegally modified :dunno:
    Not at all, I was asking for knowledge on additional charges not initial.
    I have a plethora of EBRs & the majority of them are made to look like the real deal !! Safe semi full selectors so on so forth.
    I agree with you 100% about dumb asses shooting guns in the air on new years as well as the other examples youve given of people using firearms unlawfully.
    These are the only people I care about possessing these guns.
    My concern is ... what about us legal gun owners that hav jumped thru the BATF hoops to have our legal firearms. Should we be harrased by someone that doesnt know thier way around firearms :dunno:
    Absolutely not! Let me preface this by saying all LEO's are different and do things a little bit different, but if you are legally able to possess a gun and you tell me on a traffic stop that you have it(or you don't even have to) and that you have a permit, unless I have a legal reason to get you out of the car, you get to stay in the car with your firearm that you are legally able to possess. Trust me, I see it all the time when my fellow colleagues go through extensive investigation on people who are legit in the first place.

Further more i may take you up on that ride along
    Would be more than willing to take anyone on here. PS unfortunately you cannot carry during the ride-a-long. That's the departments policy.

I apologize if i came of like an ass!
    It was early in the morning :patriot:
    Yeah my fault for the quick reaction, my apologies.

Top Bottom