• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I had a situation tonight where I showed more restraint than I ever thought I would be able to. I work and have a wife and 4 kids that depend on me. When this guy was yelling in my face that is all I could think about. Looking back on the situation in some ways I am proud of myself for showing restraint but at the same time I am mad at myself for the same reason. 10 years ago if I had been in this situation it would have been on. Not a thought about anything but beating down the person talking s... That was not the case tonight. I cannot help but think there was a time when fighting was part of being a man. Now the only people who can fight without worrying about consequences are the thugs, druggies, and thieves. Other people have to take care of them and their families anyway. What ever happened to being able to be a real man?

Just my rant and troubles for the night.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Can we get the full story? I'd like to hear it.

Anyway, I hear ya...Being the "bigger" person and not fighting is the right choice when you consider your family.

Were you carrying? I'm a really polite, laid-back guy, but I admit I'm a lot less polite when I'm not carrying and in a situation similar to yours.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I think it takes a real man to show restraint. Any kid can throw hands......but it takes a man to weigh all of the options and show restraint. Just my $0.02

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The right time for a real man to fight is when he is defending something really important like his family not his pride. You did the right thing. Someone screaming in your face can be considered assault can't it?

DKY197

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Monroe County
    One day that guy is gonna pull that with someone who has less restraint. He may end up dead for it. Just focus on that. Just picture him cut up laying on the asphalt.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Someone screaming in your face can be considered assault can't it?

Yes, in the state of IN it can. Depends on the words of the law. But IN includes threatening/debasing words.

One day that guy is gonna pull that with someone who has less restraint. He may end up dead for it. Just focus on that. Just picture him cut up laying on the asphalt.

Yeah, or he is going to do it someone, and they're going to stay quiet in the moment, and some guy on the interwebz will say something like that, and they are going to fixate on him laying dead so much that they eventually go out and shoot him. Once the incident is over, just move on. OP you did the right thing, so no worries, and move on. Fixation is obsessions younger brother...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...What ever happened to being able to be a real man?

Your definition of what it takes to be a real man has obviously matured.

It seems that perhaps you've become one.

If so, you shouldn't expect to still fit the mold of what a teenage boy might have once considered being a real man.

:twocents:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I guess it is just tough to realize exactly what it means to be a real man. To the person asking for details it is a complicated story and not the point of the original post. There were two confrontations. The first I was carrying the second I was not. I had put my gun away in the safe with the intention of going and teaching guy a lesson. On my way back to where this happened I could not help but think of what me going to jail would do to my family and job. I do believe I did the right the thing in the end. Maybe did a couple wrong things in between. Just really tough for me to realize what things are like now. Priorities have certainly changed.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess it is just tough to realize exactly what it means to be a real man. To the person asking for details it is a complicated story and not the point of the original post. There were two confrontations. The first I was carrying the second I was not. I had put my gun away in the safe with the intention of going and teaching guy a lesson. On my way back to where this happened I could not help but think of what me going to jail would do to my family and job. I do believe I did the right the thing in the end. Maybe did a couple wrong things in between. Just really tough for me to realize what things are like now. Priorities have certainly changed.

No one was unnecessarily hurt...Of COURSE you did the right thing.:yesway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I only fight to defend my life or the life of my loved ones.
    I cannot afford to go to jail or get a criminal record for sometimes stupid like 99% of the fights are.
    Especially if you carry a gun, you dont want to lose your LTCH because you fight someone while carrying a deadly weapon.
    If you want to feel like a real man and fight with someone without having to face legal consequences, then do like I do, practice martial arts, fight with a buddy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The right time for a real man to fight is when he is defending something really important like his family not his pride. You did the right thing. Someone screaming in your face can be considered assault can't it?

Yes, in the state of IN it can. Depends on the words of the law. But IN includes threatening/debasing words.

Indiana has no crime of "assault" on the books. We do have "Provocation"

IC 35-42-2-3
    Provocation
    Sec. 3. A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally
    engages in conduct that is likely to provoke a reasonable man to
    commit battery commits provocation, a Class C infraction.
    but as you can see, it's an infraction, not even a misdemeanor.

Use caution in such things. Walk away. Your pride is not worth your freedom or your continued ability to protect yourself or your family.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Good for you! :yesway: You did the right thing. You have to much to lose to waste it on him.

I was the same way, when I was younger I was quick to to lose my cool and did alot of things I would never do now. Having my son and carrying a firearm has changed the way I think and act completely.
    I realized it a few years ago in a situation similar to the one you described. Guy was in my face calling me every name in the book and really wanting to get into it, I was calm as can be and just smiled and walked away. 5 years prior to that would have been a whole different story. At the end of the day, life is just too short and you have too much to lose.

Congrats to you for doing the right thing!

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Good for you! :yesway: You did the right thing. You have to much to lose to waste it on him.

I was the same way, when I was younger I was quick to to lose my cool and did alot of things I would never do now. Having my son and carrying a firearm has changed the way I think and act completely.
    I realized it a few years ago in a situation similar to the one you described. Guy was in my face calling me every name in the book and really wanting to get into it, I was calm as can be and just smiled and walked away. 5 years prior to that would have been a whole different story. At the end of the day, life is just too short and you have too much to lose.

Congrats to you for doing the right thing!
    Feel the same way :yesway: had the same thing happen to me . :patriot: you did the right thing

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's often not easy to do the right thing. It should always feel good after reflection to know that you did the hard thing and did the right thing. Too many don't and regret it for the rest of their lives. My thumbs up to you.:yesway:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sometimes you prove yourself a better man by not fighting.
    Looks like you're a better husband, father, and provider than you were before this incidence.
    To me...That "Pair" you grew...Well, they just got a little bigger.
    Thumbs up Dad!

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I had a situation tonight where I showed more restraint than I ever thought I would be able to. I work and have a wife and 4 kids that depend on me. When this guy was yelling in my face that is all I could think about. Looking back on the situation in some ways I am proud of myself for showing restraint but at the same time I am mad at myself for the same reason. 10 years ago if I had been in this situation it would have been on. Not a thought about anything but beating down the person talking s... That was not the case tonight. I cannot help but think there was a time when fighting was part of being a man. Now the only people who can fight without worrying about consequences are the thugs, druggies, and thieves. Other people have to take care of them and their families anyway. What ever happened to being able to be a real man?

Just my rant and troubles for the night.

I understand why you had to show restraint. But, I agree sometimes some people just need a beating. I think a lot more people would be polite if they thought that their foul mouth would not go unpunished.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm not a male, but back in the day, i was kind of a scrapper. I can be pretty hot-headed. Nowadays, it's not worth it. You did the right thing. Why let some low life have that much power over you? I stayed away from a confrontation just the other day. It took quite a bit of restraint to just let it go! Keeping in mind that i was carrying helped.

Top Bottom