IL carry without license if IN resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What I was getting at, is in your example, the vehicle is attended and it should be able to remain on my person.

Ah, there we go. I believe that this is addressed more clearly in other parts of the law (it has been a while since I read the whole thing.)

This part of the law focused on what you needed to do with the gun since you are not allowed to have it on your person outside of the vehicle. Reading it alone I can see how it can be confusingly worded and make it seem as though you could go ahead and legally wear the gun outside of the vehicle if you are "attending" it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The law explicitly states when and how you can remove the weapon from the car.

(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) ofthis Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection
    (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm
    into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in
    subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be
    permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her
    person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a
    firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked
    vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the
    vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed
    firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle

within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited
    purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's
    trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is
    unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this
    subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that
    completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the
    trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box,
    or other container.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ah, there we go. I believe that this is addressed more clearly in other parts of the law (it has been a while since I read the whole thing.)

This part of the law focused on what you needed to do with the gun since you are not allowed to have it on your person outside of the vehicle. Reading it alone I can see how it can be confusingly worded and make it seem as though you could go ahead and legally wear the gun outside of the vehicle if you are "attending" it.

Here is the relevant part and its wording:

I have showed this and people still think they can carry outside of their car. I gave up along time ago.

The law explicitly states when and how you can remove the weapon from the car.

I wasn't confused, I was just splitting hairs. I'm well aware that in IL we (as LTCH holders only) we're not allowed to legally carry if we exit our vehicle.

Again, I believe idiots drafted the law. That is all :)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I think you should split hairs and test your theory of law...OVER IN Illinois. We will sell of our stash of high priced ammo and discount (now) prices to get your bail $$ gathered in a "timely" matter. Be careful what county you choose to test your "theory" in...some arent as friendly as others are. (read as not only do you have to worry about your jail "mates" but you also have to worry about not so friendly coppers!)
    You have fun with all that. ;)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I think you should split hairs and test your theory of law...OVER IN Illinois. We will sell of our stash of high priced ammo and discount (now) prices to get your bail $$ gathered in a "timely" matter. Be careful what county you choose to test your "theory" in...some arent as friendly as others are. (read as not only do you have to worry about your jail "mates" but you also have to worry about not so friendly coppers!)
    You have fun with all that. ;)

Never suggested testing the theory of law brother. :)

Was just splitting hairs, nothing more :)

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    The thing is, I'd think the time I'd MOST want to have my firearm ON MY PERSON is when, say, I've stopped the car at a strange gas station in an unfamiliar area to refill the tank. So do I need to take off the gun for that? And leave it in the LOCKED CAR that I'd have trouble getting at if seconds suddenly mattered?

I still say screw Illinois.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The thing is, I'd think the time I'd MOST want to have my firearm ON MY PERSON is when, say, I've stopped the car at a strange gas station in an unfamiliar area to refill the tank. So do I need to take off the gun for that? And leave it in the LOCKED CAR that I'd have trouble getting at if seconds suddenly mattered?

I still say screw Illinois.

No you can't have it on your person outside the vehicle (unless you cave to their out of state exorbitant licensure fees/requirements)

Although, from what I've read, as long as the car is attended, it doesn't have to be locked.

IANAL and exercise your own due dilligence with research

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I carry my gun in my car everyday to work in IL. I have the law printed as well as the ISP FAQ stating it is lawful - which I keep in my glove box.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Very interesting discussion and it's nice to know we can keep them in our cars, but knowing Chicago, I don't want to be the test case when some cop goes nuts when you tell him there's a gun in your car.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Very interesting discussion and it's nice to know we can keep them in our cars, but knowing Chicago, I don't want to be the test case when some cop goes nuts when you tell him there's a gun in your car.

I have not seen a law mandating you disclose that you are armed if you are not licensed in Illinois. In other words, if you are carrying in your vehicle on a LTCH then keep your mouth shut about it.

Further on that subject, I do not believe an Indiana resident can even obtain an out of state IL license since our state's laws are not "substantially similar."

Is there anyone from Indiana that has or is going through the process to obtain an Illinois non-res permit?

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I'm compelled by the wife to attend a family Thanksgiving in Chicago, does anyone know what the rule is in carrying my gun from the car to the hotel? Clearly it will be in a container, but i'm assuming that the plastic case it came in won't be sufficient? Does it have to be locked? Gun unloaded?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm compelled by the wife to attend a family Thanksgiving in Chicago, does anyone know what the rule is in carrying my gun from the car to the hotel? Clearly it will be in a container, but i'm assuming that the plastic case it came in won't be sufficient? Does it have to be locked? Gun unloaded?

Unloaded and in a container like the original case is fine.

But member is going to be going to Chicago, Cook County, IL.
    Does not Chicago still ban sidearms outside the home. :dunno:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    But member is going to be going to Chicago, Cook County, IL.
    Does not Chicago still ban sidearms outside the home. :dunno:

My general understanding is that a hotel room is good to go for carry, and you can carry from your vehicle to your dwelling in a container so what is the problem?

Was there not preemption built into the new carry law there that took care of the issues of Chicago Carry?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Chicago is no different than the rest of the state. The only thing different about Chicago is their assault weapons ban. All home rule except the assault weapons ban went away when the new statewide law took effect.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I'll have to see if our parking lot has cameras. I really dont trust my Illinois employer not to fire someone if they see them put a gun in the console or glove box. at least I have a convenient snap straps holster to make it easier.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I'll have to see if our parking lot has cameras. I really dont trust my Illinois employer not to fire someone if they see them put a gun in the console or glove box. at least I have a convenient snap straps holster to make it easier.
    Nothing saids that you can't stop at a gas station, fast food place or a convenience store parking lot before/after you pull in/out to work to conceal/lock up your firearm. Problem solved.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom