• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    So, the point is that even if they don't have exactly what you want, if you have the $$ on hand, you might be able to piece it together from parts on other guns.

From what I have seen it is almost always cheaper to by a correct grade than piece it together. Sure its possible to buy 2 or 3 and get enough pieces to make a "correct grade" but you even admitted that you are still missing 2 key parts to get your rifle to a "correct grade" Winchester. Buying by the piece or even only if 3-4 pieces are needed to make a rifle correct it will still make the rifle rather expensive in the end. It gets even harder and less economical when a rarer maker is chased after such as IHC. But hey its "your" "his" "their" $$$ to do it the hard way.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From what I have seen it is almost always cheaper to by a correct grade than piece it together. Sure its possible to buy 2 or 3 and get enough pieces to make a "correct grade" but you even admitted that you are still missing 2 key parts to get your rifle to a "correct grade" Winchester. Buying by the piece or even only if 3-4 pieces are needed to make a rifle correct it will still make the rifle rather expensive in the end. It gets even harder and less economical when a rarer maker is chased after such as IHC. But hey its "your" "his" "their" $$$ to do it the hard way.

Yeah, you are spot on...if they have a "correct" gun on the shelf...definitely the way to go. But I they have two service grades at $700 / each and you can buy both to make an 800$ "correct" gun, you are still left with a $700 service grade that can typically be resold for close to CMP pricing.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Yeah, you are spot on...if they have a "correct" gun on the shelf...definitely the way to go. But I they have two service grades at $700 / each and you can buy both to make an 800$ "correct" gun, you are still left with a $700 service grade that can typically be resold for close to CMP pricing.

There is where the problem is. Odds are extremely low that you will be able to make a correct rifle out of 2 that are purchased. Heck you may not be able to do it while buying 5. (But CMP wont let you buy that many in a year anyway). If anyone buys a rifle from the CMP and CANNOT get ATLEAST what they have in it...They ARE DOING IT WRONG!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    There is where the problem is. Odds are extremely low that you will be able to make a correct rifle out of 2 that are purchased. Heck you may not be able to do it while buying 5. (But CMP wont let you buy that many in a year anyway). If anyone buys a rifle from the CMP and CANNOT get ATLEAST what they have in it...They ARE DOING IT WRONG!

The limit for M1 rifles is 12 a year.

Q.

How many M1 rifles may I purchase per year?

A.

Purchase of M1 Garand rifles is limited to twelve (12) per customer per calendar year - regardless of grades purchased.
    The CMP occasionally also conducts other special sales programs as assets become available. These special sales and purchases through the CMP auction site do not count against the above.

Sales FAQ | Civilian Marksmanship Program

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Just got an email, an e store notification and a credit card charge, all within the hour. A service grade IHC with LMR barrel is headed my way! Anyone else have any luck?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just got an email, an e store notification and a credit card charge, all within the hour. A service grade IHC with LMR barrel is headed my way! Anyone else have any luck?

Keep us posted on updates, it will be interesting to see what parts match and are IH.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County

I'm looking forward to seein' how you did, kedie. I was pretty lucky last time; but, I'm seeing some nice ones in this release, lots of IHC wood and neat, collectible, arsenal rebuilds.

Anybody else get into the frenzy???

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I'd like to own one of these bit I don't know what I'm looking at as far as condition and such. I'd just want one that shoots. Original military used parts is cool

I am in the same boat, we need someone to put on a class on these, if anyone has one I would be glad to buy their meal or make some steaks so we could go over one once.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My brother over-nighted his order on 3/24, still no word on his. He called CMP today, they said they were still processing orders from 3/11

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'd like to own one of these bit I don't know what I'm looking at as far as condition and such. I'd just want one that shoots. Original military used parts is cool

I am in the same boat, we need someone to put on a class on these, if anyone has one I would be glad to buy their meal or make some steaks so we could go over one once.

You can't go wrong with any grade from the CMP. If you just want a shooter, where the finish doesn't matter, all USGI but not correct for the year of the serial number, you can't really go wrong with a field grade.
    I went to the North store about 4 years ago and picked up a field grade with a TE under 1 and a MW of 0.
    Stock is dark,finish is thin in spots, but it shoots and I can hit what I'm aiming at.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I am still learning; but, I would be happy to share what I know. I plan to shoot at least 2 or 3 Appleseed events this summer. Catch me at one of those, and I'd be happy to let you go 8 rounds with one of my M1s.

Attending an Appleseed meets one of the CMP's eligibility requirements.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    You can't go wrong with any grade from the CMP. If you just want a shooter, where the finish doesn't matter, all USGI but not correct for the year of the serial number, you can't really go wrong with a field grade.
    I went to the North store about 4 years ago and picked up a field grade with a TE under 1 and a MW of 0.
    Stock is dark,finish is thin in spots, but it shoots and I can hit what I'm aiming at.

I have had really good luck with Field Grade M1's from the CMP, two I picked at the South Store in 2011 and 2014 and one I got luck of the draw by mail order last December.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Some would say it's not a class but a semester or [STRIKE]a year [/STRIKE] years of study to be able to speak competently on the subject. I've been studying them for 10 years and there's still production variations I'm not strong on.

Collection.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    John,
    Is that an M1D? An original M84 scope, or a repop?

Yes. And yes, it's original. Bright and clear. An amazing firearm. Came out of the CMP in 1994. Shipping box, sale papers, original heavy paper packaging for scope, scope pouch, flash hider, oiler, sling, the entire basic issue inventory. Shot a 6" group at 500 yds with my hand loads. A divorce made that girl go away in 2005. She was last known to live somewhere near Hobart. I really miss her.

Top Bottom