If you're not tired AR brand debates, give me input....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I did not read through all the replies so if this is an echo of another poster, I apologize. First if your bushy is performing the way you want it, then its fine. I have owned a few of them in the past and never had any issues with them. I have also heard the horror stories so I guess I have been lucky.

Now, if you want to get an AR just to get a new AR or to get away from hearing folks tell you that your bushy is crap then here is what I would recommend....Daniel Defense DDM4, Colt 6920, or a Bravo Company. These are all kickass rifles and you will not run into an issue while you own any of them.

I think the three biggest things that goes into an AR is the quality in which parts are made, then the tolerances in which they are assembled, and lastly the barrel that is used. The three I mentioned are all top notch when speaking about those points and parts. IMO the DD makes the best barrel but, Colt or Bravo is nothing to doubt.

Just some thoughts....

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Go browse m4carbine, and I do mean browse. They have information and answers to your questions - its what they do.

BCM midlength lightweight profile barrel with DD fixed rear, magpul furniture would be my choice.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Windham weaponry or Stag arms are both very good for the money. Spikes and and Bravo are also good but typical a little higher priced but seem to be worth it. I personally am not a fan of the Colt brand simply because they are typically more expensive than their competition for similar quality/features. Adams arms and huldra brand rifles are also good quality and about the best deal going on a piston operated AR. If I was headed for a gas impingement rifle I would probably go Daniel Defense or Bravo company or if I had money to burn on a gas gun Noveske has a great rep for quality and accuracy and some features not found on basic Mil-spec carbines from other manufacturers. Hope any of this is somewhat helpful.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I am one of those hard usage AR guys. Not a brand snob by any means. Keep the rifle you got if it's performing good. It is a smart practice to have a few back up parts for it just in case. Buy a good BCG and trigger group to keep around as a spare, then start accumulating parts for the gun you actually want, then build it. At that point you would have 2 ARs, either keep both or sell the old if you wish.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I took my RRA entry tactical went to the range for the first time a few weeks ago. I was qualified on M16 for my 21 years in the Air Force, mostly using the 25 meter M16-A1 targets that have the 50M-300M silhouettes. Every M16 I shot said "Colt", had a 20" barrel and GI sights with carrying handle. I shot expert (requires 35 out of 40, I got 37 and still have that target) once, I was usually 31 out of 40. With my RRA, nearly 10 years since I last went to the range to qualify, I shot a better group than I did on my best day with a Colt M16.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If the one you already have is running then why sell it an take a loss? Keep it an if you want a big money AR save up and then you will have 2. I've owned bushmasters for years and have never had any issues other than regular parts issues after lots and lots of rounds downrange. Buy and keep spare parts. That's a given for any gun.
    You mentioned you already took some training class. That's always my first recommendation to any friends who ask me what they should upgrade to. How about training to learn how to use that bang stick? The priciest gun in the world is just the same as a crappy one if you don't know how to operate it. Before you can operate a forklift you have to take a class which also includes maintenance and safety checks each time you fire it up. Shouldn't we take the initiative as responsible gun owners to do the same with our guns?

I think ink you made a good choice with your bushy. Upgrade parts in it if you wish or not, but it will outlive you and your kids I promise.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm kind of tired of folks on the internet lauding the benefits of having a "fighting rifle" for EVERYBODY, regardless of their intended uses OR budget.

Let's be honest - how many folks that own AR-pattern rifles will EVER break a bolt or shoot out a barrel, let alone use it in defense of life?

OP, I say shoot your Bushy and F the snobs that would sneer at you because it isn't a "Tier One" AR. It'll either run just fine in your carbine courses, or it'll break and become another story recited on the internet of inferior weapons justifying why people NEED to spend $1200+ for a "fighting rifle" they're 99.9% never going to "fight" with.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm kind of tired of folks on the internet lauding the benefits of having a "fighting rifle" for EVERYBODY, regardless of their intended uses OR budget.

Let's be honest - how many folks that own AR-pattern rifles will EVER break a bolt or shoot out a barrel, let alone use it in defense of life?

OP, I say shoot your Bushy and F the snobs that would sneer at you because it isn't a "Tier One" AR. It'll either run just fine in your carbine courses, or it'll break and become another story recited on the internet of inferior weapons justifying why people NEED to spend $1200+ for a "fighting rifle" they're 99.9% never going to "fight" with.

The first AR I semi-built had an upper assembly that came with the bolt cam cracked. I had a used USGI spare so I tossed the new one and replaced it. I have personally seen gas key bolts that have sheared (not mine). A back up bolt will keep you running until you get it fixed. A broken firearm is just an expensive stick. A spare BCG and hammer is cheaper than a second gun.

In case you haven't noticed some guys consider their barrels shot out at 5000 rounds, that is a years shooting to many folks.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Here's the issue... the gun I bought was a Bushmaster patrolman. Since buying it, I've read enough and seen enough raised eyebrows among serious shooters (law enforcement/military guys) at the range that I'm questioning the decision. I haven't had serious problems with the Bushie yet, but I'm wondering if they're inevitable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Bushie patrolman. Make sure the gas key is properly staked and have at it. If you are really worried about it, buy a HPT/MPI bolt and you have just upgraded damn near the only catastrophic failure component. Even with the standard bushie bolt, there really isn't that much to worry about.

I've dumped quite a few rounds though a bushie SBR upper on a m16 lower and the only problems have been with a can attached because the gun is then terribly overgassed and would hammer-follow with the standard buffer. A H3 took care of that. My point is that there are few things more abusive to an AR bolt than an overgassed, full-auto, 10.5 upper with a can on it. The bushy bolt is still just fine.

My personal rifle is a Lewis Machine and Tool which is a "top tier" gun. FWIW, it actually failed on me once while my old DPMS never did. The LMT's ejector got stuck on a brass shaving rendering it a single shot. Not a fault of the gun, just poo that can happen. A loose primer in the trigger group etc. will stop a Colt/LMT/Noveske just the same as it will an Olympic...

Best regards,

Joe

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I would keep the Bushy and by a spare bolt. Dsgarms has/had spikes bcg on sale for $109. Thats a decent deal for a good bcg. The first AR i bought was a bushmaster. I bought it two days before president Obummer got elected the first time. I always wanted an AR and the election was the perfect excuse to buy one. If i would have know much about them i would have probably bought a colt. My bushy's gas key is hardly staked and most older ones ive seen are the same way. Other than that its been a great gun. I prefer the parkerized finish on the Bushy over some of the other finishes on a few on my other AR's. Keep it and enjoy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I drive an Eclipse every day for work. It's all stock. It was relatively cheap. It's fun. It gets me all over the midwest for work just fine.
    I race a Talon. Same basic car. Practically NOTHING is stock. It's full of friggin' expensive parts! All the parts are upgraded, spec'd, blueprinted, modified & treated to run better on the track.

Would I / could I run the Eclipse on the track? Sure. Would it be my best option to win? Nope.

The majority of the price differences in these guns are the attention to detail. The extra testing, QA/QC. The chrome linings, the heat treatment, the higher quality steel, the maintenance of the production tooling, cutting bits, etc...

If you've read enough to feel uncomfortable with the Bushy, but it's running good, are you really going to trust your life with it? If it's just a range toy then who cares. If not, then swap out the most common points of failure: bcg, fcg. Check gas tube alignment, gas block attachment, latch plate staking and barrel nut torque. Keeping those parts in good working order will let even the cheapest of ARs run pretty much trouble free.

Just my :twocents:

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    You don't need to worry about that Bushy, it is just fine. If you want to upgrade than get a PSA, Spikes or above (Colt, BCM, DD).

Top Bottom