If you're gonna make an offer, stick with it!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    comes with the online classified game, I hate it but on the up side there is some karma involved....

I had some ammo up for sale on another site and someone asked to buy it and requested to meet ftf to pick it up, I agreed and everything was set. Well the time we agreed to meet was about about a 4 days away and he was supposed to call me to make specific time arrangements...he never calls, I forgot about it until I get a check in the mail. He sends me the amount for the ammo without any shipping fees, I responded and asked him what he wanted to do and no response to date. So basically at this point I have been paid for an item but have no idea where to ship it to or when/if this guy will figure out he paid for something he never got and he should call/email me back.

Also one time I just got a strange UPS shipment with about 10 boxes of .32 special...thing is I don't have a .32 special and never have, never would have ordered ammo for that caliber, and have no idea where it came from. No shipping invoice and the return address on the ups label said some company name that I could never find.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I love the "Will you meet me at such and such" or "I will give you x for x" PMs.

I have had many people PM me and ask the above, I respond with a sure I can do that, or Yeah OK that sounds fair. Only to never hear from them again. I sometimes even send a follow-up PM "Hey how's it going did you want X, if so I will hold it for you I have had others ask about X" Only to never get a reply.

I will publicly apologize for doing this very thing to you. I was trying to get parts together for an AR and I forgot to let you know I was going a different route than buying a lower from you. We didn't have a deal worked out, but I still left you hanging by not telling you my plans.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I will publicly apologize for doing this very thing to you. I was trying to get parts together for an AR and I forgot to let you know I was going a different route than buying a lower from you. We didn't have a deal worked out, but I still left you hanging by not telling you my plans.

Wow, you are alright in my book!!! You were part of that little group but to come out and admit it then apologize for it we are good as gold.

:rockwoot::cheers:

See and I was starting to believe all those cop bashing threads... I guess the boys in blue are still good... Hey where can I get some of that boot polish??? Somebody said Mars Hill but I don't wanna go there alone.:D

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    In essence, I agree with the thought that "...a deal is a deal." However, when does that deal become etched in stone (the point of no return)? I am always careful to include, in my offer or dealings, words to the effect that the deal is always tentative until a face to face inspection by both sides. I have only backed out on one deal (to the best of my recollection). It occurred when the representation and pictures of the gun in question DID NOT reflect the true condition at the time of the deal.

Sorry! I will never consumate a deal only on the words of the other party nor will I commit myself to a deal before I am satisfied the other party has represented him/herself and the item to my satisfaction. I will always reserve the right to withdraw my offer right up to the exchange of value. Now, that being said, I believe that I am a man of my word. I will not make an offer, counteroffer or commitment to buy or trade without fully intending to complete my end of the deal.

My .02.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would rather take a financial hit than to back out of a deal that is up-front-honest.

But, I have backed out when the goods were not as advertised. The only time I can recall is when buying a software license. They advertised it as a multi-pack (5 user) but delivered a one-user license.

I hated doing even THAT. But, it was THEIR mistake so I sent it back and we both went different ways.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    From a buyers POV, when I send an e-mail offering to trade or pay so much money for an item, thats a commitment I will honor if the seller agrees. That being said, its always pending inspection from both parties involved. I usually make it clear that my "offer" is good for 24 hours from the time I send the e-mail. Im not going to sit on the sidelines while sellers waits to see if better things come along. You want to deal with me or you dont.

When I sell, I always make it very clear but saying something along the lines of..."can I consider it sold?" "Do we have a deal?" aftere I feel that a deal has been reached.

However some people just like to play games. Its unavoidable and your gonna have that element no matter what when dealing with alot of people.

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    deal keepers

happened to me the other day,tried to call guy and he would not answer his cell phone.called me back about an hour later and said he could not make it.:xmad:

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    In my understanding your basically talking about a binding agreement or contract. From wikipedia below is the description of what a contract consists of. In my opinion the main part that is up for contention is the meeting of the minds. If we don't agree that the thing we are exchanging is the same thing i.e. carries the same value or is in worse condishion.

Under the formalist theory of contract, every contract must have six elements: offer, acceptance, consideration, meeting of the minds, capacity and legality. Many other contracts, but not all types of contracts, also must be in writing and be signed by the responsible party, in an element called form

Winchest55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    ANDERSON
    my 2 cents

i have mostly bought guns from here and sold a few and have been either ripped off or backed on a few times,but i guess it is just something you have to deal with. i have had people hurry and send a "i will take it" and then think about it for awhile and back out and i have also bought a couple guns that were complete junk and did not even shoot, even though they told me they had just shot them and they worked perfect.

Last edited:

Winchest55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    ANDERSON
    I actually had someone send me an I will take it as soon as I listed the gun. Then I did not here from him for a while, he was probably checking to see what it was worth. Then he tells me he just lost his job and decided he did not want it. few days later he was back on trying to buy another gun.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hey now...don't be knocking the Hill. :D Has anyone noticed the rib place right next to the Holt Rd. Animal Hospital?? Something just makes me leery about that combination... :):

Every time I go to firearms inservice up at the IMPD range I eat at the Jumbo chinese buffet at 56/Georgetown. Two doors down in the same strip mall is a cat doctor. Coincidence?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Agree with everything I've read so far but it should also be understood that an offer is a "today" offer. Not that a guy has 15 minutes to respond but if you don't hear something within 24 hours I would consider the offer no longer valid. Changes happen so quickly that offers can't be held open indefinitely and as the previous post said the deal isn't a deal until both parties are satisfied at the FTF..
    In essence, I agree with the thought that "...a deal is a deal." However, when does that deal become etched in stone (the point of no return)? I am always careful to include, in my offer or dealings, words to the effect that the deal is always tentative until a face to face inspection by both sides. I have only backed out on one deal (to the best of my recollection). It occurred when the representation and pictures of the gun in question DID NOT reflect the true condition at the time of the deal.

Sorry! I will never consumate a deal only on the words of the other party nor will I commit myself to a deal before I am satisfied the other party has represented him/herself and the item to my satisfaction. I will always reserve the right to withdraw my offer right up to the exchange of value. Now, that being said, I believe that I am a man of my word. I will not make an offer, counteroffer or commitment to buy or trade without fully intending to complete my end of the deal.

My .02.

Top Bottom