If you think lasers are cool, come on in.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    I can't wait till I get one of these things. I'm sure once the cool factor wears off it'll be stuck in a drawer but until then....

Behold the Wicked Laser Spyder III Arctic – in the flesh, but certainly not burning flesh anytime soon (because we’re careful little tech nerds, and know a dangerous device when we see it). If you’ve been following the gadget blogs for the last month, you already know that this laser’s infamous reputation precedes any opinions generated from third-party, hands-on testing.
    sm_img_9990.jpg

Indeed, we’re one of the first impartial third-parties to actually receive the device.​
    This Friday, if all goes according to plan, we’ll be testing the Arctic at its full-strength setting in one of the laser labs of Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories. This laser is not a toy. It’s a potentially dangerous piece of technology, and we want proper training in how to safely use it. After that visit to LBL, we’ll post first impressions, plus more photos and even video. Our full print write-up on the laser will appear in our first issue of Maximum Tech. But for now, let’s share some basic details on what makes the Arctic so remarkable.
    Wicked Laser tells us the Arctic is rated to produce no less than 800 milliwatts of power, and as much as one full watt. This is an incredibly powerful laser – just consider that typical laser “pointers” may produce around 3 milliwatts. The Arctic sells for $299, a fantastically low price that’s only possible because the cost of laser diodes has plummeted. A laser of the Arctic’s caliber would have cost thousands of dollars just a year ago.
    Very simple, clean packaging. Note the spot-varnish laser symbol in the corner.
    At its output strength, the Arctic is a Class-4 laser -- a serious, scientific-caliber laser device. To quote the Wikipedia entry on Class-4 devices, “By definition, a class-4 laser can burn the skin, in addition to potentially devastating and permanent eye damage as a result of direct or diffuse beam viewing. These lasers may ignite combustible materials, and thus may represent a fire risk. Class-4 lasers must be equipped with a key switch and a safety interlock.”
    I hope our studio photography can capture the Arctic looking as cool as how it’s portrayed on the user manual cover.
    But the Arctic isn’t just any Class 4 laser. It’s a Class 4 blue laser emitting 445nm light, and blue lasers have unique properties that pose extra safety risks. Specifically, were the blue laser beam to shine directly in your eye, your vision would be permanently impaired. In a worst-case scenario, you’d go permanently blind. In a best-case scenario, you’d lose the ability to perceive green light. Wicked Laser is aware of these risks, and explains them in detail on its website.
    Besides publishing a wealth of information about the potential dangers posed by the Arctic on its website, Wicked Laser has also integrated a number of safety systems into the device. First, the laser must be unlocked via a software code just to be powered on. This should stymie anyone who steals the laser, as well as children who might stumble upon it in a parent’s drawer. Second, once unlocked, the laser has two power modes, and, according to Wicked Lasers, the default mode sets laser power to just 10 percent of the Arctic’s actual output capacity. Third, the Arctic kit comes with a “training” lens that’s designed to reduce the laser beam power by 80 percent -- and this reduction applies to both the low-power mode and full-strength mode. And, fourth, the Arctic includes the safety interlock required of Class-4 devices. When the interlock is removed, the laser can't operate.
    Sure, it’s lines are very light sabrey, but real light sabres aren’t all black, are they?
    All in all, the Arctic is an amazing piece of technology, and we’ll be covering it fully on this site, as well as in the pages of Maximum Tech, which will be on newsstands in early September.
    And if you have to ask “What’s the big deal about a 800 milliwatt laser?” then you don’t just get what makes lasers so impossibly cool. What we knew as pure science fiction as children has become demonstrably real. Just make no mistake: The Arctic is neither a toy nor a “laser pointer” nor anything to be taken lightly. It represents the forward march of technology, and possibly even technology moving at too brisk a pace. We’ll have opinions on that soon.

Wicked Lasers was kind enough to send four sets of safety goggles, enough for our testing and photography. Caution: NEVER use a laser of the Arctic’s power without the proper safety goggles. Goggle lenses are tuned to specific laser wavelengths, and lenses made for green lasers won’t provide enough safety for blue laser light.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SduY4A2kE&feature=related]YouTube - Wicked Lasers S3 Arctic Spyder III[/ame]

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a few high powered versions from China, they will cast a beam for over 700 yards, much fun at night. They were $15 each.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What is this useful for? Besides the cool factor.

That is my question as well. I will admit that it gets full points for cool. I bet my six year old would love to play with one. Hmmm.....Maybe that is a bad idea. "Here son have a real light saber!"

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    hand helds are cool but the metal cutting lasers make me as giddy as a schoolgirl

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQIJSsbvolc&NR=1]YouTube - High Speed Laser Cutting[/ame]

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hmmm.... If a laser like that costs consumers $300, what would a military grade laser rifle cost? :D

Can this be mounted on a rifle and be used for stunning a target while doubling as a targeting device? :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just a word for everybody about lasers. I have a 10mW green laser, and it's fun. VERY visable at night, and you can even burn small holes in black trash bags with it. I'm told you can even pop a black balloon with one. (Black is the key because it absorbs the laser energy better than a lighter color.) Like most lasers that are more powerful than your typical laser pointer (5mW red), it would be very harmful to look directly into the beam, or a direct reflection of the beam, but the beam is visible and bright so that is relatively easy to avoid.

The one I have cost around $100 and came from a reputable company (Thinkgeek ... Wicked Lasers is also reputable). There are a lot of cheap, powerful green lasers from China that aren't made so well. The key is for the laser to have something that cuts down on the invisible IR energy. Cheap green lasers often don't, meaning that in addition to what you see you're getting laser energy you can't see. It may be emitting laser light that is powerful enough to harm your eyes, but not visible so there is nothing for you to see or your eyes to react to. Your eyes could be catching one of these invisible reflections of IR laser light, be harmed, and you might not even know ... until later.

I'm no expert on lasers by any means, so please, if you buy one from anybody do your own research and find out if what I'm saying is true. (Google "green laser ir" for a start, or go here.) Just make sure you're not using something that can hurt your eyes or someone else's without you even knowing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom