If you have a Toyota (or any vehicle) and the accelerator sticks PLEASE READ THIS!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I tried to get this out there in another thread but decided to post my own.

I think it might be time to go back to the basics. If your gas pedal sticks or decides to accelerate on its own you can cut the power! Cut the power to the drive train by putting it in neutral or cut the power to the whole vehicle by placing the key in acc! I know some people say the Prius is different. Yeah it is but there is still a way!

Toyota Vehicles : Frequently Asked Questions For Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales / Toyota

What if you experience a sticking accelerator pedal while driving?
    Each circumstance may vary, and drivers must use their best judgment, but Toyota recommends taking the following actions:
    • If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.
    • Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.
    • If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.
    o If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.
    o If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if the "power" button is a software control it might not work... the press & hold to shut off sounds like that. it is not a physical switch..
    so if the computer is stuck in a bad software loop it will not respond to power button input..

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    if the "power" button is a software control it might not work... the press & hold to shut off sounds like that. it is not a physical switch..
    so if the computer is stuck in a bad software loop it will not respond to power button input..

Could be like your home PC and if you tap the power button it doesn't turn off but if you hold it down a couple seconds it shut down completely. Just my thoughts, I imagine it may work like that.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I'm just thinking that if Toyota says it works then it must. A faulty power button would be a whole new problem. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    The last car I drove with a sticking accelerator and no brakes was an old buick. I didn't have any trouble getting it to stop. I think this Toyota thing is totally blown out of proportion.

I have to wonder if all these "accidents" are only happening in CA?

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Junk Toyota's many people swear by them I swear at them, don't get me wrong I know we have a Toyota plant here in Indiana but I just have never been a Import fan, I will stick to my old Dodge or Ford Truck!:rockwoot:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The last car I drove with a sticking accelerator and no brakes was an old buick. I didn't have any trouble getting it to stop. I think this Toyota thing is totally blown out of proportion.

I have to wonder if all these "accidents" are only happening in CA?

How long did it take you to shut it down?

I had a '87 4-runner that the linkage stuck nearly wide open. I shut it down in less than 2 seconds and was pulled over and stopped in another 3.
    Sure, the Prius has different systems and controls, but 20 minutes???

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Could be like your home PC and if you tap the power button it doesn't turn off but if you hold it down a couple seconds it shut down completely. Just my thoughts, I imagine it may work like that.

on your home PC that works because the BIOS software in the motherboard monitors some keys before the OS.. and it is usaly the OS that gets locked up..
    but a lot of hardware specific systems have the BIOS/OS / applications all as one big program.. all it would take is one bad error catch procedure to put the whole thing in an infinate loop.. then it would just keep doing what ever it last did.. in this possible case.. full gas..
    the power button needs a physical kill switch next to it.

Top Bottom