If you had to move to another Indiana town...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Indiana has some great towns. Let's say you had no obligations tying you down in your existing location, you, you and your family, etc could relocate to anywhere in the state. Where would you go, and why? Let's just say your decision has nothing to do with your job, you get a free pass to move you and your loved ones anywhere in the state. Pretend you won the lottery or something.

I think I'd choose a small little town in Brown County, but I'd like to live out in the country. I miss driving through Nashville on trips back and forth to Bloomington, but at the same time I was born and raised on the Ohio river so a small town along the river wouldn't be half bad either. :)

North of Indianapolis, too flat for my liking. Southern Indiana is the best Indiana. :popcorn:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I'm not real familiar with much to the south of me, but I think there are some places I could make a new start south/sw of me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd move.... farther OUTSIDE of town.

Someplace with lots of trees, hills, and creeks. Maybe a little lake. So, that means south of I-74 (roughly).

We are actually looking for a nice place - kinda. My only limitations are: decent internet/phone connection and a reasonable drive to NW Indy/Airport (like, an hour or so). Currently (casually) looking from the IN67 corridor down to Spencer, around to the west, and up to Greencastle, and even on up to Crawfordsville.

Now, to just win that lotto.....

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    We are actually looking for a nice place - kinda. My only limitations are: decent internet/phone connection and a reasonable drive to NW Indy/Airport (like, an hour or so).

Bloomington area then.

Anytime I fly out of Indy I usually crash in Bloomington with friends, then just take a shuttle to the airport for $8. Cheaper than what I'd pay to get one of them to take me up there, and cheaper than parking there. Then when I return, I take the shuttle from Indy back to Bloomington and then come back home further south. It's a nice setup.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Any town that land is cheap and I can find an old farmhouse and pole barn. I sadly live in town in elwood and had the market kill me about 1 year after buying. I hate it here, can't stand my neighbors, kids don't like the school. Not as expected when I bought. Then again a lot has changed since then.
    I did at one time find a place in losantville that I was going to make a cash offer on. Just a little too late on it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Indiana has some great places. Small towns can be weird, though. Pretty clannish provincial types ain't too welcoming of outsiders.

I'd try to get far far away from everyone, but where can you go in Indiana that there are no residents for more than several miles?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My choice would be Madison, because of its architecture and beauty. Been down there for visits several times and enjoyed the area. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in a number of years.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I would have to pick Clay City as long as I could find a country home. My wifes grandparents live close to a Dollar General and the IGA, yet only have one neighbor and an awesome front porch view. It is also not far from Terre Haute with bigger stores.

They used to have an old farm house on the property that they lived in, but it burned and now there is a modular there.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Nashville area, or Madison.

My choice would be Madison, because of its architecture and beauty. Been down there for visits several times and enjoyed the area. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in a number of years.

Oddly enough, the OP is from Madison, right?

Madison is great. I love it.

I explain it to people who have not been here that it's the sorta of place you can walk down Main Street at 9AM, and the old ladies call you 'Young man' and the old men call you 'Sir'. I've chatted with strangers from the sidewalk who are sitting on their front porch about their magnolia trees on main street and have seen improvements made to the city as well. I'm a young dude in my mid-to-upper 20s. I did the whole, "move away after High School because Madison sucks and is boring" thing... I moved out west, I lived in the desert. I moved to Missouri. I lived in Bloomington. I always returned back home and have no real interest in being too far from it. No place else like it.

As with any other town or community, we still have our ****heads here too... but all in all most people are genuinely kind and the town is unique. "In 2006, the majority of Madison's downtown area was designated the largest contiguous National Historic Landmark in the United States—133 blocks of the downtown area is known as the Madison Historic Landmark District."

There are tons of events each year, from the Ribberfest festival to Regatta, to art walks on main street and tours of historic homes. Good places to eat, nice things to see. It's not a bad little town.

Top Bottom