If you don't believe the war on drugs is out of control read this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Those who profit from the illegal drug trade need the war on drugs in order to grow and thrive.

Those that battle the illegal drug trade need the war on drugs in order to grow and thrive.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    End it tomorrow, won't hurt my feelings one bit. Cut those in prison for drug charges loose Monday morning, won't hear a squeak from me. Start putting the screws to those who commit crimes that generate victims and make prison punishment like it should be. We might just see society begin to turn around a bit.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    End it tomorrow, won't hurt my feelings one bit. Cut those in prison for drug charges loose Monday morning, won't hear a squeak from me. Start putting the screws to those who commit crimes that generate victims and make prison punishment like it should be. We might just see society begin to turn around a bit.

Would rep you if I could.... but I got a no no message.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    How much do taxpayers pay through State and federal funding does your organization receive for "drug law enforcement"?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How much do taxpayers pay through State and federal funding does your organization receive for "drug law enforcement"?

I don't have the foggiest idea. I got out of the dope game several years ago and I don't plan on going back. I did work with a federal task force for a couple of years and they paid for some overtime but other than that I never saw/heard about any funding. I know they used to get money for the "wedd & seed" program but I believe that was stopped several years ago.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I feel same way as Phylodog. My department doesnt get anything that I know of. THe drug task force probably does but I dont see much out of them any way. One thing I think people forget about as far as cost goes is the medical side of it. I wonder how much money is spent to treat overdoses, deseases from dirty needles, babys that had mothers that abused drugs and so on. One thing not mentioned in this thread either is the drug related crimes and yes there are many. But hey drug use is a victimless crime right?

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Well, I was just curious.

I am not a fan of drugs currently deemed "illegal". I've never tried Mary Jane, not because it was illegal and not from the lack of opportunity. To me it it has always seemed a gateway to unhealthy behavior.

I do object, however, to having my property stripped away by the force of the state to engage in a war to "save people from themselves".

Likewise, I object to having my property stripped away by the force of the state to pay for treatment of those individuals choosing to engage in such behavior.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I feel same way as Phylodog. My department doesnt get anything that I know of. THe drug task force probably does but I dont see much out of them any way. One thing I think people forget about as far as cost goes is the medical side of it. I wonder how much money is spent to treat overdoses, deseases from dirty needles, babys that had mothers that abused drugs and so on. One thing not mentioned in this thread either is the drug related crimes and yes there are many. But hey drug use is a victimless crime right?

Presuming that self-victimization is not accepted in the same sense that you cannot steal from yourself, I would argue it to be a victimless crime. Most all of the ancillary illegalities like child neglect/abuse and crimes committed to finance drug use are already independently illegal.

As for the medical angle, aside from the babies born under circumstances of drug use, I would allow Darwinism to run its course. It may seem callous, but the reason we have a lot of the problems we have is because we not only tolerate but accommodate them.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Presuming that self-victimization is not accepted in the same sense that you cannot steal from yourself, I would argue it to be a victimless crime. Most all of the ancillary illegalities like child neglect/abuse and crimes committed to finance drug use are already independently illegal.

As for the medical angle, aside from the babies born under circumstances of drug use, I would allow Darwinism to run its course. It may seem callous, but the reason we have a lot of the problems we have is because we not only tolerate but accommodate them.

Yep.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute

I said drug related crimes... meaning crimes one would not have otherwise committed if they were not trying to make or finance drugs. Also the labs and clean up of those labs can not be forgotten. I do agree with you that if we didnt have to treat those illnesses brought by drug use or manufacturing that would be fine by me. However any time a person using drugs goes to the hospital they dont get turned away but get treated.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I said drug related crimes... meaning crimes one would not have otherwise committed if they were not trying to make or finance drugs. Also the labs and clean up of those labs can not be forgotten. I do agree with you that if we didnt have to treat those illnesses brought by drug use or manufacturing that would be fine by me. However any time a person using drugs goes to the hospital they dont get turned away but get treated.

I can understand your thought, but drug-related crimes are largely a problem manufactured by the drug laws. The prices are artificially inflated on account of the basic laws of economics due to the supply being more expensive, difficult and limited than it otherwise would be. Meth and the hazardous chemicals was introduced to fill a niche caused by the prohibition and artificially high cost of drugs of choice.

To approach it from a different angle, we don't have a rash of property crimes committed to finance the purchase of cigarettes, the economics of which are generally parallel with MJ aside from government interference. We won't have people hiding in their basements making duplicates of prescription drugs which are abused recreationally so long as they are available from Eli Lilly.

While I don't encourage drug use, I certainly don't encourage the prohibition on drugs, especially given that it exacerbates the problem rather than reducing it, and creating entirely new problems in addition to that. All it has done is concentrate money and power in the hands of the drug cartels, multiply the crime on the streets, cost billions in tax dollars, and created an environment in which it has become accepted to have our rights truncated and our property stolen by the government regardless of our nonparticipation in the 'drug war'. Can you imagine the screams that would be heard if the troops started looting noncombatants in Iraq or Afghanistan? Why are the same people who would scream up a lung about that silent about the innocent citizens who are looted in the drug war?

I would like to see the drug-related crimes committed by the drug dealers/users stopped. Even more, I crimes committed by the government stopped.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom