• Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You mean stainless steel? :):

Stainless will rust.

You doubt it, just run your Ed Brown through the dishwasher on high heat with a "packet" style for soap.

All it takes is for that passivation layer of chromium oxide to be removed or prevented and rust forms.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Stainless will rust.

You doubt it, just run your Ed Brown through the dishwasher on high heat with a "packet" style for soap.

All it takes is for that passivation layer of chromium oxide to be removed or prevented and rust forms.

Some stainless will rust, but not all. I have a pair of barbecue tongs made out of aircraft grade stainless that I made close to 30 years ago that have been through the dishwasher thousands of times and they still look like they did the day I made them. I have no idea what alloy is used in aircraft hot section parts and what is used in a pistol. The two are probably as different as steel and titanium.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Get rid of all warning labels on firearms, Rugers, Savages, Howas, Smith and Wessons, etc.

No Hillary holes on Smiths and burn/destroy the ones that were made that way

Get rid of that pointless lock under the grips on some Ruger Single Actions

Get rid of mag safeties

Get rid of the mag safety and the external extractor on Hi Powers, and add a beavertail, and enough metal on the front strap to allow for proper checkering, actually, make the Hi Power just a little bit bigger in general

Browning Buckmarks with a metal rear sight and not plastic

Make the XD/XDM not a major PITA to change the sights

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Some stainless will rust, but not all. I have a pair of barbecue tongs made out of aircraft grade stainless that I made close to 30 years ago that have been through the dishwasher thousands of times and they still look like they did the day I made them. I have no idea what alloy is used in aircraft hot section parts and what is used in a pistol. The two are probably as different as steel and titanium.

Tim, you are correct, as there is a HUGE a mount of variety of materials lumped together as 'stainless.'

The chromium contend of aircraft grade stainless is usually higher than the 18% that is typical of grade 304L or "18/8' home stainless.

Just as importantly, most aircraft alloys have a good amount of nickel in them. High nickel+higher chromium makes for pretty good corrosion resistance. Inconel 618 (which may be what you used, as it's ubiquitous in aviation) is essentially impervious to corrosion, even at temps where it's glowing cherry red. There are acids and such that will eat it, but it doesn't really oxidize in atmosphere.

The 416 stainless that my new Lone Wolf conversion barrel is made from isn't as corrosion resistance as other grades. 416 is used because it's easily machinable and can be hardened to a useful level. It is a martensitic grade, and the chromium content is only 12%-14%.

If you're interested in material properties more, here's a fantastic resource I use at work frequently:
    Online Materials Information Resource - MatWeb

Last edited:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Get rid of all those stupid magazine disconnects! I don't like to deactivate them, due to worries about what an overzealous prosecutor might say in a potential self defense case. He was a crazy gun nut who incorrectly modified his gun and caused the gun to jump off the table and shoot by itself!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Tennifered/Melonited options for 1911s and revolvers that don't include a high end Vicker's checked special or high price aftermarket finishing.

To combine what some others had said: How about a 9mm/.40/.357 Sig/.45/10mm capable (or individual models), all steel frame, taking 1911 magazines, slide in frame, striker fired, CZ/Beretta grip angle pistol. Yes, CZ or EAA Witness comes close, but not in the 1911 magazine/striker fired department.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    A ruger LCR revolver 13 oz in 9mm.

I also have 1 thing nagging me, why did JMB design the 1911 with the
    hammer bite?

One of the greatest handguns of all time but nails your hand when you shoot it.

I love them and I have one but I just don't get that part.

Jimmy

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If I can change anything about my already existing handgun, I want it to always hit the target. :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Old Smith/Colt blueing on a modern gun. Modern blueing doesn't hold a candle to those. I'm assuming EPA killed the process?

Old blueing does look a hell of a lot nicer, but I doubt it was the EPA's fault. Old school blueing had a lot of polishing involved, buffing wheels, etc. Plus the nasty chemicals. It was probably more of a cost and labor thing.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I would like to see the standard trigger on the M&P improved. I really like the M&P platform. I just hate that Apex is doing such a large volume of business with parts to make the trigger on the M&P good.

Top Bottom