If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Okay, which one is the one true church? Let me guess, yours?

No, it's not my church. The one Jesus authored with his Blood and Spirit is the only Church. The rest are either apostate or were never true to begin with.

As an example, If I put a McDonalds sign in my yard, it'd be pretty obvious I wasn't an official franchise.

Groups that lack the authorship of God's Blood and Spirit or who did not recognize their visitation and have departed the faith are just as obviously false.

There is real evil in the world, and it requires real authority to overcome. Assuming a name does not convey the authority to use it.

Acts 19

13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Church hurt is probably a big reason along with it maybe being difficult to find a genuine truth teaching church that hasn't gone woke or just become a routine social club.
    I also believe a big reason people don't go (in America) is one word, selfishness. Finding a way to serve others through a ministry is a sure fire way to keep you there, even with church drama. When you know you are truly helping others it's addicting, and in a good way.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, it's not my church. The one Jesus authored with his Blood and Spirit is the only Church. The rest are either apostate or were never true to begin with.
    Okay, got an address?

The preceding comment and the one before were snark, this is serious. For the record I agree. But I have a question. Wouldn't that make it worthless at best to attend any earthly church? And at worst, very very bad to put it mildly.

I'll give you my take. What you say is the only Church, I agree with that with no reservation and my whole heart. The other various churches are simply following Hebrews 10:24-25 and can be nothing more than very flawed pitiful imitations of the Church. But knowing that wouldn't it be best to find the one that brings you and others closer to the Church? Even if that means forming your own fellowship. Which to me is all an earthly church is. If listening to chants in Latin brings some closer and handling venomous serpents others, who am I to judge?

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Which to me is all an earthly church is. If listening to chants in Latin brings some closer and handling venomous serpents others, who am I to judge?

Exactly, I can't judge that either. My opinion is useless. God's Word and Spirit address these issues with absolute clarity. His wisdom and direction are the only thing that can make any effort toward heaven fruitful.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.​

John 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

I've not been a Christian long and I've well noted that my honoring God offends my flesh and the flesh of others.

Romans 8:7​

“Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.”

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    So if I come up with the opinion that everyone should speak Latin, handle snakes, wear long dresses, not cut their hair, not wear makeup, not wear jewelry, only worship on Thursdays, etc, etc it is my useless opinion.

God gave very exact commandments in the Old Testament to the construction, and operation of the Temple. More than I understand, or likely ever will in this life. It was an example to us today that our conduct and practice, even today, is to be authored and directed by Him.

Those that didn't follow directions were very severely punished or even killed on the spot. Not my opinion.

Last edited:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    My church (ITOWN Church in Fishers) is very focused on this question and we talk about it all the time. The entire experience is set up with the intent to make people feel welcome no matter where there are in their faith walk. Admittedly I walked in my first time as a complete atheist and felt very at home. At least enough to come back the next week, and the week after that.

A lot of people feel like they have to get it together to get to God, but that's backwards. They should get to God to get it together.

Traditional religion is all about ritual and rules which turns a lot of people off if they feel far from God. They don't want to feel judged or that they're on the outside looking in. They need a place to feel welcome first, then they can begin their spiritual journey.

My church has a mission statement of helping people get from where they are today to where God has called them to be. It's one step at a time based on the ideas if Reach, Connect, Go, Grow.

If you would have told me three years ago that church would be one of my favorite places and that I would have a deep connection with God, I would have laughed at you. I was as pretty much as far from God as one could be, yet He has been waiting for a relationship with me this entire time until I was ready. Once I was ready, the blessings that He brought to my life have been truly amazing.

If anyone is looking for a church in the north Indy, Hamilton County, Bluffton area, I highly recommend ITOWN. We now have three campuses to attend. I would be happy to meet with anyone at a service, sit with you and answer any questions about the ministries or support groups, activities they offer.
    I attend a church that lost a lot of our young people to I-town and for a while I resented that church for that. Then I had a chance to listen to the pastor on TV one evening. I can see why many go there. The man teaches the Word of God and does a good job of it. I'm too firmly entrenched in my church to attend there but if my church closed it's doors, I-town would be on my short list to sample.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm reminded of something I read 52 years ago while still in high school & never forgot.
    The Church is not a sanctuary for saints
    but, a hospital for sinners.

I remember another saying also.
    We will be surprised by 2 things in Heaven:
    - who is there
    &
    - who is not there.

The Church can be a messy place b/c it is made up of imperfect people: the good, the bad & the ugly.

Jesus spent 3 years training his apostles & there were occasions when they were a disappointment in things they said or did.
    The same is true in a Church today & always have been.

My story is not that of the "prodigal son," but over time I have come to recognize my sin is that of the "elder brother."
    That took a few decades of spiritual growth.
    I'm still working on my self-righteousness & now realize my need for God is as much as those whose story is more like that of the "prodigal son."

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Romans 3:4

yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Ephesians 5

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man I just knew a few of you would get all butt hurt and righteous as happens in most religious based threads.
    Your kidding me right. Mines bigger than yours. Yours is shinier than mine.
    This is basically why these discussions were verboten on Ingo for years. And a very good example of why I and mine avoid an organized church.
    Seriously. None allowed because feeling and emotions and on and on.

This stops now. Just stop.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Church hurt is probably a big reason along with it maybe being difficult to find a genuine truth teaching church that hasn't gone woke or just become a routine social club.
    I also believe a big reason people don't go (in America) is one word, selfishness. Finding a way to serve others through a ministry is a sure fire way to keep you there, even with church drama. When you know you are truly helping others it's addicting, and in a good way.
    In my experience, this point is such that needs to be amplified. I find when I’m thinking outward rather than inward, the people issues seem to minimize. All of the things other people are doing (or not doing), the weight they’re not pulling, their hypocritical behaviors, gossip, clicish behaviors no longer consume me.

We’ll never find the ultimate place to fellowship. People will always let you down. But when you’re seeking to be a blessing to others, it lessens their impact on your walk with Christ.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    As a child, I was not raised going to church. My experiences were going to church with some kids down the street that were friends of mine. In fact, I wasn't baptized until my son was born and we were baptized together.
    I attended some Sunday services with multiple denominations under the Christian banner.
    None of these organizations ever appealed to me. I profess to be a Christian but have zero ties to any specific denomination out there.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I want to add this and it isn't aimed at anyone individual.

If you go to church looking for hypocrites you will find them.
    Hypocrites are found in everything not only religious activities.

In Revelation there are examples of seven church types.
    Ask yourself which church is closest to your church.
    I actually believe close to you, sometimes we can find which church age we are in individually also. Some think we are all in a certain and last church age. But I have come to disagree, I think all the church ages are being played out throughout different parts of the world. I see the US as being the lukewarm age...just my thoughts. As for church you are spot on and some others. The Word says that in a great house there are many vessels....some of Honor and some of dishonor, some of gold and silver and some of earth and clay. Back in Pauls day there was a son sleeping with his step-mother in the church, and the church was looking away afraid to judge the situation. Paul gave a great sermon and teaching on judging also. And then we have the word from old saying "The prophets prophesies are false, and my people love to have it so." And again Jesus once said..."This is my Fathers house, and it shall be called a house of prayer, but you have turned it into a den of thieves!" Again I say, bless those who have found a good church for them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I actually believe close to you, sometimes we can find which church age we are in individually also. Some think we are all in a certain and last church age. But I have come to disagree, I think all the church ages are being played out throughout different parts of the world. I see the US as being the lukewarm age...just my thoughts. As for church you are spot on and some others. The Word says that in a great house there are many vessels....some of Honor and some of dishonor, some of gold and silver and some of earth and clay. Back in Pauls day there was a son sleeping with his step-mother in the church, and the church was looking away afraid to judge the situation. Paul gave a great sermon and teaching on judging also. And then we have the word from old saying "The prophets prophesies are false, and my people love to have it so." And again Jesus once said..."This is my Fathers house, and it shall be called a house of prayer, but you have turned it into a den of thieves!" Again I say, bless those who have found a good church for them.
    If I find myself judgemental just in thought I ask God to help me immediately because I do not know a person's circumstances or where they are spiritually.
    We all know what sin is or should know the longer we live a Christian life. We are not like the Christ, but he strive to be as holy in God's eyes as possible.

Hebrews 12:12-15 KJV
    Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
    [13] And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
    [14] Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
    [15] Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Without Holiness no one will see the Christ.
    Can we be completely holy on earth? No, but we should strive to be as holy as possible to please God.

Edit:
    I have many faults. I do my best not to sin in word thought or deed daily. That is my goal on a daily basis.

Top Bottom