If you bought one gun to resell what would it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Curious what people would buy if they could purchase one gun for resale. The market is still tight so it is hard to stock guns and pick the one people are looking to purchase. Also due to the long lead times what is popular today might not be that desirable three months from now. :dunno:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Interesting response

I have never bought a gun specifically for the resale value. I don't plan on it either.

Why bother taking the time to respond? :dunno: I threw the question out to the forum to guide me in chosing a couple popular models to stock.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    It is another option. That is, a philosophy to buy for their intended purpose. Feel free to disregard.

Just so you know Michiana is an FFL licensed dealer. These would be for his business.

As an answer to his question I'd say AR's and AK's if you can find them at a real low price. INDNR legal deer rifles. And 1911's along with a few popular glocks.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Seems like Garands get a good markup from what they can be bought at CMP and what they go for at gun shows.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If I were an FFL I would look into pistols in the $500 range and rifles in the $900 range.

Surplus guns are ALWAYS good. Especially if you hold on to them.

Hmmmm. Here is my theory on selling guns if I were ever to become an FFL.
    Look at our recent trends in guns. For the most part, surplus military and new imports hold their value.
    Example: The price of garands over the last say 5 years has been pretty stable. However the price over the last 10 is a different story. Yes, you can get them from the CMP but many don't like to go that route.
    Example:Saiga shotguns. This was a new import and few knew about them when they came out. When they came out some of them were $149 shotguns. Just 2 years ago I was offered a Saiga 12, by an FFL, for $350. I was in Florida and didn't want to do the transfer on a gun I didn't know the value so I moved on. But what this guy did was perfect. He found a good product, at a great price, and it had a few bells and whisles too. He told me all about how the street sweeper was now a class III item and this was better than that. He was right.

My point is to corner the market. If something new is coming out and you find it to be a quality product, at the right price, with a few niche things then by all means buy as many as you can.

Just sayin :thumbsup:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    For resale value buy Colt revolvers, and the more rare versions of the 1911s like the Delta Elite (for example). You never pay to much for a Colt, you just buy it to early. Colt Pythons are were its at for resale. :)

Old S&Ws retain value quite well. Automatics just dont have a big following with the collectors as revolvers do. You see a lot of guys with collections of S&W, Ruger and Colts running up into the hundreds of revolvers, not really so with Glocks and XDs and plastic autos. People will pay a premium for a nice revolver, unless its a 1911 most automatics just dont have the collectors interest. That said its not a bad idea to have a few automatics and high-cap mags in the collection but they will be desired by shooters, not collectors.

Not to dis all the shooters (like myself) but we dont pay what a Gun is actually worth, we only pay what its worth to us. I might be willing to pay $700-800 for a nice Python complaining about the price the whole time, while a collector gladly would pay thousands for the right one.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    From the perspective of someone in the business of buying and selling guns, I'd say that anything in the rimfire flavor would be a solid bet, especially the "lookalike" guns such as the GSG5 and the Colt M4/.22. I'd also second Annie's response that 18" shotguns or any gun that is marketed specifically as a home defense gun. I'd imagine that these could be turned quickly, which is a good thing. The Colt and Smith revolvers would also be a solid investment, but unless they could be bought inexpensively and sold a bit below average resale value, you'd probably have to hold onto them for a while before you saw any real profit.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    A friend in the industry tells me they do better stocking the cheaper firearms . skky, high point , davis derringers and the like .

They do stock the better stuff and will order anything , but for stock on hand they sell ALOT more of the cheaper stuff ...

not downing any brand, make , or model weapon before anyone jumps my @@@ for saying high points are cheap ....lol

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The NEF Handi Rifle in .357 and .44 Mag and .458 Socom uppers and guns would sell good for the deer hunter crowd. Glock's, XD's and M&P's in 9mm, .40 and .45. Small S&W .38/.357 J-Frames. Small Kel Tec pistols. Military Surplus handguns and rifles. Stripped AR lowers and LPK's. AK's and other military type semi auto's if you can buy them right. I wouldn't get into any of the oddball type stuff, you might get stuck with it.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    The one thing I notice about most of the gun shops I go to, is that nobody stocks the high end holsters. About the best that you can find is Uncle Mikes holsters. We all know that they leave a lot to be desired. I think that the margins on many better holsters might be as good or better than the pistol itself. If you sold a new G-19 (for instance) with a couple of boxes of shells and a nice holster, your margin might be triple the gun sale itself. Realistically, you would be limited to the larger selling guns but could order anything needed.

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    Lever action rifles in pistol calibers and single action revolvers seem to sell faster than anything else in my area.

Top Bottom