• ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Kinda getting off topic, but who cares.

I think the only way that would ever stand a chance is if we get our rights back step by step. If the focus is to just do away with the NFA, we'll never see it happen, but we start with making suppressors a title 1 firearm and no one goes on a mass rampage with one, they will they're not dangerous. Then we could go for a one month amnesty period to register pre existing firearms to title II MG's. When they see no one went on a mass killing spree with the new MG's, maybe it will start opening peoples eyes to the stupidness of NFA.

Point taken, and a good point it is! :yesway:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    In theory my understanding of the '68 Amnesty was to resistor existing guns that were not papered. Until '86 anyone could make all the machineguns they wanted at $200 a pop, just like SBRs today. In the early '80s we did not Form 1 Colt SP1s as added 50% to the price each time it was sold and make a good gun hard to sell ... like suppressors and AR SBRs today. Darn thought about doing a few back then.

The big rush in making machineguns (i.e. HK sears) was just before the May 19th 1986. A little bit after '86 the HK sears rose to $400 then $450 each ... and the uncut Marmont M60 with all the accessories was $3500 and I passed, saying later (darn squared ;-)

Now days is there was another Amnesty (which I really am not betting on) it would almost for sure be limited to existing guns and most likely things along the lines of WWII bring backs etc.

-----------

One can make a case the Second Amendment covers military weapons, such as currently used by the armed forces and does not cover duck guns (then again the idea of regulating tools to hunt and make a living was pretty far out of sight back in the 1700 in America, and some of founding fathers did not think a Bill of Rights was needed as was apparent that these freedoms were self evident ...). Since the artillery and war ships were private owned in part, the military arms would by that line of reasoning not be limited to just small arms .....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In theory my understanding of the '68 Amnesty was to resistor existing guns that were not papered. Until '86 anyone could make all the machineguns they wanted at $200 a pop, just like SBRs today.

The big rush in making machineguns (i.e. HK sears) was just before the May 19th 1986.

Now days is there was another Amnesty (which I really am not betting on) it would almost for sure be limited to existing guns and most likely things along the lines of WWII bring backs etc.

-----------

One can make a case the Second Amendment covers military weapons, such as currently used by the armed forces and does not cover duck guns (then again the idea of regulating tools to hunt and make a living was pretty far out of sight back in the 1700 in America, and some of founding fathers did not think a Bill of Rights was needed as was apparent that these freedoms were self evident ...). Since the artillery and war ships were private owned in part, the military arms would by that line of reasoning not be limited to just small arms .....

Exactly. My guess is that if we ever see an opening for this, the .gov goal will be to see if you are holding on to that StG44 Grandpa managed to bring home at the end of the war that never got registered and then follow up by categorically banning full autos, legally registered or otherwise, and then cleaning house.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Exactly. My guess is that if we ever see an opening for this, the .gov goal will be to see if you are holding on to that StG44 Grandpa managed to bring home at the end of the war that never got registered and then follow up by categorically banning full autos, legally registered or otherwise, and then cleaning house.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by this, but if its the way Im thinking, something like an amnesty for currently registering unpapered bring back sounds like a great way to get arrested for owning an unpapered bring back. I understand it would be an "amnesty", but you're basically saying "Hey, Ive had this illegal MG for all these years, here's my all of my information, please make it legal".

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im not exactly sure what you mean by this, but if its the way Im thinking, something like an amnesty for currently registering unpapered bring back sounds like a great way to get arrested for owning an unpapered bring back. I understand it would be an "amnesty", but you're basically saying "Hey, Ive had this illegal MG for all these years, here's my all of my information, please make it legal".

That is the idea of an amnesty. They won't arrest you for having said gun, in exchange for you registering it. If you don't register it, it is just as illegal as it was before, and now you have lost your chance at a sob story.

Top Bottom