If handguns r not reg in IN then what do Police Check?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I won't be telling anyone I'm carrying unless I have to get out of the vehicle for some reason. Course I drive like my grandma or so my co-workers tell me, and I haven't been pulled over since 1987.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Why did he run the serial? Did he have probable cause it was stolen? There is no need to inform the officer of your permit, handgun or eithers' location. Did you have anything else in the vehicle that could be used as a weapon such as a tire iron, screwdriver, etc.? Why didn't you inform him of that?

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    What good is a firearm if it is not chambered? I do not advise anyone to carry without one in the tube. All good quality firearms have internal safeties that prevent unintentional discharge.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do you have to LEGALLY give them your weapon?

I don't know if there is law on this point or not, but there probably is. Even if there is not, failing to follow the officer's legal instructions will definitely end you up in front of a judge, and you can bet that the deck will be stacked against you.

I do not like what I'm about to say, I do not agree with what I'm about to say, but I think it is the correct answer: "Do what the officer tells you."

On the roadside, you will not win against the police, for in the words falsely attributed to George Washington but still true, "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Document everything ASAP, including how many times you politely said, "Officer, I do not consent to any searches." or words to that effect. If you think you have a civil case, contact an attorney and follow up on it. If the attorney thinks you have a civil case, follow his/her advice and do not discuss it on an internet or any other forum until the case is resolved.

IANAL, IDPOoTV, IDSIAHIELN, and TINLA disclaimers all apply.

Blessings,
    Bill

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    yeah you must follow his commands:bow:

i've heard stories about cops running the serial numbers on guns and them coming back to someone.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I had an officer pull me over once and i had my weapon on me ,
    I informed him i was armed he checked my numbers checking to see if it was stolen ..

He found i had one in the chamber and commented on that to me ..I commented back that without one in the chamber i might as well carry a brick he said yeah i guess ya got a point ...and went on his marry way ..
    He also forgot my 15 MPH over speeding ticket :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I wonder how people would feel if a police officer pulled them over and relieved them of their laptop computer or their mobile phone or their toaster over to "run the serial numbers" to check if they were stolen.

Do they have a data base on stolen toaster ovens?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    that comment makes no sense at all. i don't recall the last time a toaster was involved in a murder haha.

every time i've been pulled over and the officer took my weapon for whatever purpose (serial # check apparently) it came back in pieces, literally field stripped. i was instructed not to assemble and load the weapon until the officer was "reasonably out of sight". i have been grilled numerous times as to why i had the pistol, but never given any form of their opinion(s). i've been pulled over probably 10 times while carrying, the only times my gun wasn't disassembled was when i had my 1911. i guess they are too hard to field strip in a cop car? my 4506 and model 59 came back in pieces every time hah.

That would "tick" me off. I've never had them do any thing but check the carry permit.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    When they ask to take if, "for their safety and yours" ask them if you can do the same with their duty weapon.

Good idea. Ask them to stand on their left foot and touch their nose to while you are at it.

Take a buddy with you to run the video camera so we can all see what happens next.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I've been pulled over once with a gun in the car, and the only thing that happened is when the officer asked if I had a weapon, he said oh, ok, and asked if I had pink paper. Didn't want to see it or the gun, just wanted to know that I had one.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    When I hear Glock I only have 2 thoughts which run though my mind... Fresh water or Salt water...:D

Yeah, I had a boating accident too and lost all my guns. Mine was Lake Michigan, so Fresh Water. :D

I don't know anything about Kel-Tecs, but there's no internal safeties? Drop safety, firing pin safety/block?

I really meant my comment as a joke though :)

My P11 discharged when the muzzle struck concrete from waist height. This was a result of a crappy holster. So I would lend towards it not having one. I almost found out that my bladder doesn't have a drop safety either.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    But I saw an episode of Columbo once where a guy used a toaster to electrocute a woman in a bathtub. So the numbers may be higher than you think....... just sayin :D

I think I saw that episode, too.. But that's why I put that they were not often so used. ;) Just sayin'.. :):

I really think the larger point is that, as Rhino so often says, police should have no authority over those who are not committing crimes.

To that, I would add that the authority they do have should be limited to the offense in question. That is, if I am caught speeding, the officer has the power to stop me by whatever means are most appropriate (from standing at roadside and pointing, turning on the lights on his car and pursuing, using stop sticks or roadblocks... kind of like the "force continuum", using the minimum necessary method.) S/He has the power to issue me a citation, and s/he has the power to act on any other infractions, misdemeanors, or felonies of which s/he becomes aware in the course of that interaction. To me, this means that if the officer sees my pistol, it would be appropriate to ask me if I have a LTCH and to see said license. If I don't have it, that would be the time to escalate to disarming me, but to automatically do so with the red herring of "officer safety" is fallacious at best and dishonest and unConstitutional at worst.

They don't "run the numbers" on my cell phone, my laptop, or my vehicle to determine if they're stolen, so why is my sidearm any different?

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom