If crime was bad enough, would you vote for martial law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you consider voting for martial law if your town had a terrible crime problem?

• Total voters

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Hell NO! Crime should never get that bad...we are an armed society that is plenty capable of policing itself on the local levels, as a community!

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Is Martial Law legal - maybe .
    The greater questions is it Constitutional ? ( or is it Lawful and there is a difference
    between LEGAL and LAWFUL )

Now if it is not Constitutional what duty do you and I have to resist it ?
    To what extent ? Deadly force ?

Now .. if it is what can we expect from Police , a soldier , county council man even the postal carrier .
    These people in particular have taken an oath to the Constitution .
    Then they receive payment to enforce same .
    DO they have a deeper and more " legal " responsibility to defend it because of a binding contract ?
    I don't know .
    But I do believe that Martial law is unconstitutional .
    The Constitution is a GRANTING document .
    I don't see the authority in there for it .
    The war , insurrection and rebellion do not give that ... in my opinion .
    Those are for people disturbing the order and peace not for people going about their
    business .

A Primer on 'Martial Law' - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

Edwin Vieira, Jr. -- A Primer on "Martial Law"

.... And all public officials, including officers of the Armed Forces, “shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution”. [Article VI, cl. 3.]

So, unless “martial law” is authorized by the Constitution itself, or by some constitutional “Laws of the United States”...precisely to set aside or suspend the Constitution, then no public official, and no officer of the Armed Forces, can invoke, enforce, or act under color of it without thereby violating his “Oath or Affirmation” of office.

Thanks
    Duncan

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I voted No.

I have lived in Countries that were under Martial Law. Do NOT want that here. I will say this if Martial Law is brought about we already have other problems to deal with...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    heres an even better question,,,if your town had a crime problem,,,would you support cops ignorning traffic laws and drugs to concentratre on crime???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    heres an even better question,,,if your town had a crime problem,,,would you support cops ignorning traffic laws and drugs to concentratre on crime???

We don't even need a crime problem for me to support that.

I am with ATO here. Traffic Laws and Drug Laws are just revenue generators for the Legal System you will never see them not being pushed to be enforced though...

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Didn't participate in the poll, as the question is moot so far as I'm concerned: I'm not a member of any governing "council". A state of "Martial Law" is only imposed by edict; whoever might attempt to do so isn't likely to be asking for my opinion first.

The question I'd have to ask myself is "do I acquiesce, or do I resist?", and I can imagine sets of circumstances where I might be compelled either way. Just pray God that I never see the day when I'd have to make that choice.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Didn't participate in the poll, as the question is moot so far as I'm concerned: I'm not a member of any governing "council". A state of "Martial Law" is only imposed by edict; whoever might attempt to do so isn't likely to be asking for my opinion first.

The question I'd have to ask myself is "do I acquiesce, or do I resist?", and I can imagine sets of circumstances where I might be compelled either way. Just pray God that I never see the day when I'd have to make that choice.

Amen.:yesway:

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy

YES !! that is what they should be doing anyway ... Traffic laws .. uhhh .. Depending 70 in a school zone .. yeah 65 in a 55 all things being equal.. no
    seat belt laws .. no B& E , theft yeah that would be first priority
    thanks
    Duncan

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    No because i see the real problem.Instead of martial law there should be open hunting season on illegal drug dealers and users. Buck or doe no limit and watch crime drop.:popcorn:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The thing I find quite amazing is some of the communist rantings from the City Council and Mayor.

"Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I'm fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here," Mayor James Valley said. "The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

In one breath he says some Constitutional infringement is ok, then in the next breath he says they have not violated the Constitution. Uhhh did this dumbass even go to school? I mean he sounds like a ratard...

Fielder said officers had not arrested anyone for violating the curfew, only questioned people about why they were outside. Those without good answers or acting nervously get additional attention, Fielder said.

OK, so I am a nervous nelly, and the police frighten me. Does that mean that I should be scrutinized?

However, such stops likely violate residents' constitutional rights to freely assemble and protections against unreasonable police searches, said Holly Dickson, a lawyer for the ACLU of Arkansas who addressed the council at its packed Tuesday meeting. Because of that, Dickson said any convictions coming from the arrests likely would be overturned.

Absolutely they infringe upon a CITIZENS RIGHTS under the Fourth Amendment, and EVERY arrest and conviction WILL be overturned on appeal, and the city is going to loost MILLIONS of dollars due to lawsuits that they themselves opened themselves up to. I dont care if Buck the Meth dealer has a kilo of meth, a sawed off shotgun, and a fully auto AK47 NONE of those can be used because of the Constitutional infringement used to find them. And old Buck MUST be freed, sorry if some will disagree with me, but it is the ONLY Constitutional thing to do.

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

Hmmm really, only the law huh? What a Communist. I mean, There have been times that 2 or 3 AM was the time I had to get my daily jog in because of commitments I had, so should I be a suspect because I was jogging?

In the curfew area, those inside the homes in the watch area peered out of door cracks Tuesday as police cruisers passed. They closed the doors afterward.

Wow, again sounds to me like Communist Russia, I mean how can people just give up like that? Wow... just wow... INGunGuy

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    if it got bad enough for them to "declare" martial law.. its clear that they aren't competent enough to handle their job in which case THEY should be stripped of their duties rather than everyone else of their rights. followed by the formation of possies and mass execution of gangbangers & drug dealers. than elect/hire a replacement for anyone removed from their position. should cure 50%+ of crime in this entire country

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would vote for people be empowered to shoot looters/thieves without fear of prosecution or civil suit.

Top Bottom