• If ammo and primers dried up completly

• Total voters

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had a crossbow that I was thinking of selling because I already had a bow, but then I thought about it, the bow is sized to me, but anyone can shoot the crossbow, so I kept it, have a muzzleloader too, but it takes primers. Of course it just depends on what you want to do, practice a firefight, or shoot your game limit every year. How far would 200 shotgun slugs last? 20 years?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Make my own of course

Hi,
    Make your own is easy, black powder making is hard but can be done...
    check out the Tap-o-cap made by forester products.....

Lock, Stock, & Barrel — FORSTER MUZZLELOADER TAP-O-CAP

make your own #11 caps with a pop can and toy gun caps, I have one and it does work well... I don't see why a toy cap would not work in a regular primer after flattening the cap out and putting one or two in there and replacing the anvil, especially if you primed the case with a grain or two of black powder first. remember we are talking last ditch stuff, right?...lol.. I'm sure the AR would just love the black powder booster, but if there was a choice between no shots and a shot that would foul the system quick, I'd take the fouling shots..lol..

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Hi,

make your own #11 caps with a pop can and toy gun caps, I have one and it does work well... I don't see why a toy cap would not work in a regular primer after flattening the cap out and putting one or two in there and replacing the anvil, especially if you primed the case with a grain or two of black powder first. remember we are talking last ditch stuff, right?...lol.. I'm sure the AR would just love the black powder booster, but if there was a choice between no shots and a shot that would foul the system quick, I'd take the fouling shots..lol..
    Now that is cool! + rep for you!

I actually have made primers with roll caps and strike on the box matches. The procedure is basicly the same as my youtube video...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA[/ame]
    ...except you add the roll cap (with the bump toward the firing pin) then fill the primer cup with powder made from strike on the box matches. The only thing that worries me about these is the shelf life is an unknown, since I don't know what chemicals are used to make the roll caps. Will those react badly with the chemicals in the match head powder over time? possibly even self ignite? I don't know but I have a half a dozen stored in a safe place and I'm going to test them in a few months.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    If you couldn't get primers...you probably couldn't get percussion caps either.
    I have one muzzle loader that uses the percussion caps and the othe uses shotgun primers. But I do have molds and lead and cast my own .50 caliber bullets.

And that, my friend, is why God invented the flintlock! You can pick up pieces of flint all over. You can't pick up percussion caps all over.

Everyone should have a flintlock and a can or two of GOEX powder!:patriot:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Hi,

Is there such a thing as a breach load rifle that uses these?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    rifle

I had several old H+R huntsman black powder breakopen rifles that used #11 caps, one was a 58 cal and the other was a shotgun... they were identical to the break open single shots H+R made, but they just screwed in a breechplug to make a black powder gun, then installed a loading rod under the barrel. but I sold them long ago, and wish I wouldn't have...

I suppose any centerfire primer could be reloaded using this method, even the 209 shotgun caps that so many black powder rifles use now.

I had in my collection several old cartridges that were made in the 1870's and on the outside they looked normal, but you could unscrew the rim and under that was threaded a #11 percussion cap nipple the patent showed the idea was the #11 nipple was capped and the base screwed back on to prime the shell. the same idea could be made to work now just like it did then. I had 2 45/70, 1 50/70 and several different shotgun shells using the same patent with the nipple in the base, if a guy was desperate enough or just wanted to be absolutely prepared they would be easy enough to make with a small lathe like a unimat or something like that. I would think about doing that with a shotshell or 45/70 and load with black powder, as the caps could not take the pressure from smokeless, and you'd end up with a eye full of powder... never a good thing.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I may look into trying this some. Or at least buy a bunch of the matches for just in case. Otherwise time to stock up on my blackpowder and primers for my muzzleloader.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I would cry, then I would beat myself over the head with my 1911. Then, I would go with Mr. Jarrell to Mexico, and sell it on the new American Black Market.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I am so Jazzed I can barley see straight. I just got a PM from a buddy on another forum offering to send me a .50 CVA muzzleloader for the cost of shipping! Doese anyone know if muzzloaders need to be sent through an FFL same as a handgun?
    50.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You are good to go:D
    Muzzle loaders do NOT require transfers, and CAN be shipped directly to you, LEGALLY!:rockwoot:
    God Bless America:patriot:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Of course there are a lot of other technologies that could be used to send projectiles through the air such as air rifles and steam cannons. I have also seen write ups on guns that use a series of electric coils that when charged pull/push a metal type projectile....

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I am so Jazzed I can barley see straight. I just got a PM from a buddy on another forum offering to send me a .50 CVA muzzleloader for the cost of shipping! Doese anyone know if muzzloaders need to be sent through an FFL same as a handgun?
    50.jpg
    I got it! Got to go to Walmart. See ya!

Top Bottom