• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Mods, don't chastise me, IDPA is a pistol shooting sport, it could go in either thread, I thought it might get more feedback here....move if need be.

Myself and couple of friends are gonna do a couple of IDPA shoots and were discussing the availability of gear. What do you use and what are your thoughts? Holsters, pistols, belts, mags, yada yada yada....

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Prepare to laugh.

Hangun: 4" 686
    Holster: $8 Blackhawk
    Speedloaders: $8 HKS @3 (2 of which I bought new)
    Belt: $20 Black Leather
    Ammo: 158gr LRNFP Lee .358 sized to .357 over a mid-range load of Universal
    Most Important Equipment: Mind

All of this is soon to change though. Evidently you can't run a 7rd revolver with 7 shots, so my next match will be with a 2" model 66, same belt, HKS speedloaders, rounds and mind.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The equipment is what makes IDPA such a great sport to start out in.

Pistol: Kimber 1911 or Taurus PT92

Holster: Fobus or Bianci Leather (the cheap one)

Mag carrier: Fobus

Mags: factory (PT92) Wilson or Chip (1911)

Extra stuff: extra mags are good. Hats are good. Comfortable ear protection is great. I use mechanics gloves when its cold or I run a long gun. Good water proof boots are a must in the rain. A good belt is also a plus.

All told, if you have a common gun, say a Glock or 1911, you could buy all of your equipment for $100 or less to go IDPA shooting and be just as competitive.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    there's a sticky in this forum that should answer your questions.

that said:

holster: bladetech or comptac are the most common. Holster rules are goofy. whatever you get, check it against the rules. OWB kydex is most common. Some use their IWB carry holsters. You have to figure out your goals (eg if training w/ carry gear is the goal, you may use your IWB). I recommend against paddles because they are less solid on the belt.

pistol: whatever you have or want that fits the rules. Dont get caught up in thinking a certain model will make you more competitive, although generally a full-size gun will more competitive.

mags: minimum of 3.

Belt: a good stiff one.

You need a "cover garment." eg a long un-tucked shirt, a jacket or vest, etc. Has to cover gun when your arms are held straight out to your side.

All told, if you have a common gun, say a Glock or 1911, you could buy all of your equipment for $100 or less to go IDPA shooting and be just as competitive.

True for USPSA, too, though a couple extra mags and mag pouches may be desired depending on division.

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Run what ya brung.

I use my carry holster (Raven) and carry gun (M&P357).

some comp-tac pouches. Only need 2, since that's all you're allowed.

3 mags. You can only have 2 on the belt, 1 in the gun. Having a few extras probably isn't a bad idea, but not necessary.

my cover garment is just a button down shirt, untucked/unbuttoned. If you get really into it, you can get one of the wiz-bang "hey everyone, I'm carrying!" vests with all the pockets and whatnot.

I usually do OK with the basics.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    If you are going to shoot the gun you carry I'd use the hostler I would use for carry (as long as it meets the rules). Nothing like live fire practice. I like Blade Tech holsters and mag holders.

Stiff belt is a must. Makes it more comfortable to wear. Wilderness is the brand I like.

9mm 1911 is fun to shoot in IDPA. My favorite is a RIA converted to 9mm from Super 38.

It helps to have more magazines. Especially when you shoot the Classifier.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Like others have said, just bring what you currently have as long as it is safe and you should be good for the first couple of matches. Really just a strong-side holster is needed and something to act as a cover garment since the mags can go in your pocket. Glasses and ear protection and enough ammo and you are good to go! After watching other shooters and then you shooting a few matches you'll then start to see the gear changes you'd like to make. What I use now looks nothing like it did when I started only the caliber has stayed the same.

I shoot primarily in CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol) using my Glock 21
    Glock Sport/Combat holster & Glock single mag pouches
    My best investment has been my Ares Gear belt, at $80 most people will balk but I've had it for nearly a year and it is the single greatest piece of equipment I own. Nothing like a good belt to keep your pants where you want them and to help distribute the weight of your gear. My cover garment used to be one of those photographer's vests you see many use but I recently switched to a St Louis Cardinals baseball jersey which is way more inconspicuous than the 'shoot me first' vests if you wear it out in public.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    My gear

Pistol: Walther PPQ 9mm
    Holster: Safariland OWB paddle
    Mag carrier: XD Gear dual mag
    Mags: 1 factory PPQ and 2 ProMag P99
    Vest: 5.11 Tactical

Bring what you got, local matches are forgiving the first couple of time. At least that has been my experience.

Top Bottom