• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Guess they missed kindergarten the day they taught "don't play on the railroad tracks".

At least they were not home watching Snidely Whiplash on the Bullwinkle Show. Otherwise they would have laid on the tracks in the wrong direction and required a Canadian to rescue them.

snidely%20whiplash.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I see people running around gates all the time at work. It pisses me off when one of these idiots dies and thier families say the train should of stopped. A train hitting a car is like same force as you running over a pop can in your car. It also can take up to 3 miles to stop a 100 car train traveling at 50mph.

NS where I work goes around and does crossing blitizes to try and inform people of the dnagers of walking on tracks and driving around gates. Most of the time people roll their windows up or throw our pamphlets out the window on the other side of the crossing. They even do train excursions on the company train where they recently had a guy who lost both legs talk about his experience. In the end pull his pant legs up to show the outcome.

I remember one night while responding to a train delay I was coming up to a gate that was down and was getting ready to turn onto the siding to meet the train. This idiot drives around the gate and the cop that was behind me pulled a u turn so fast I could smell the rubber. I just kept driving laughing my butt off. They ought to make the penatlies much stricter for trespassing on private property.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I see people running around gates all the time at work. It pisses me off when one of these idiots dies and thier families say the train should of stopped. A train hitting a car is like same force as you running over a pop can in your car. It also can take up to 3 miles to stop a 100 car train traveling at 50mph.

NS where I work goes around and does crossing blitizes to try and inform people of the dnagers of walking on tracks and driving around gates. Most of the time people roll their windows up or throw our pamphlets out the window on the other side of the crossing. They even do train excursions on the company train where they recently had a guy who lost both legs talk about his experience. In the end pull his pant legs up to show the outcome.

I remember one night while responding to a train delay I was coming up to a gate that was down and was getting ready to turn onto the siding to meet the train. This idiot drives around the gate and the cop that was behind me pulled a u turn so fast I could smell the rubber. I just kept driving laughing my butt off. They ought to make the penatlies much stricter for trespassing on private property.

I took a class in Frankfort several years ago that was put on by Norfolk Southern and got to ride the train a couple miles. I was shocked at how many people drove around the crossing arms, being on the train puts it into a whole new perspective. Worst gore I have seen in my 20 year LE career was a guy that committed suicide by train.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    When I took my DOT exam, we went out on the road and encountered a set of tracks, so I stopped to do the school bus train track crossing rituals. The guy told me, "this track isn't active, look, that gate (chain link fence) is closed." I replied "that gate won't slow a train down for a millisecond" and finished my rituals. I don't know whether it was a trick question, so to speak, but I wasn't falling for it.

Same thing when I'm out riding my bike on the road. Cars can hurt me, bad. Therefore I try to avoid that. I just don't get this mentality where people won't consider the potential consequences of their actions, but I suppose a lot of it is the way they're coddled from birth and nothing bad is ever allowed to happen to them. It's impossible to get an owie on the playground, insurance covers any loss, they're all unique little snowflakes, and the world owes them recognition of their greatness.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    I work for CSX. I understand the engineers response by putting the train in emergency but honestly it could have taken down the entire bridge.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I work for CSX. I understand the engineers response by putting the train in emergency but honestly it could have taken down the entire bridge.

From the braking forces acting under the momentum of the train's forward movement?

Kind of like if you try to stop on a slick rug on a slick floor and the rug slides away from you? That kind of effect?

-J-

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    When in my teens we would walk across some train trestles none were near the size of that one. Still dumb but that's what we did in the country. Now closing in on 20 years later I wouldn't think of it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've had to run from a train or two, but I'd never dream of walking on a trestle that long. The trestle I cross probably isn't 60 feet long, has a walkway on one side, and is over a river that is close enough to safely jump into. What these idiots did is, well, idiotic.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From the braking forces acting under the momentum of the train's forward movement?

Kind of like if you try to stop on a slick rug on a slick floor and the rug slides away from you? That kind of effect?

-J-

The train wants to keep moving. Adding braking force doesn't change that, and creates conflicting forces where the bridge then wants to move with the train like your rug, but it is fastened to its foundation. The pieces of the foundation now are subjected to conflicting forces wanting to stay put and wanting to topple over sideways. Theoretically, it could go down like a ribbon on top of a line of dominoes toppling.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The train wants to keep moving. Adding braking force doesn't change that, and creates conflicting forces where the bridge then wants to move with the train like your rug, but it is fastened to its foundation. The pieces of the foundation now are subjected to conflicting forces wanting to stay put and wanting to topple over sideways. Theoretically, it could go down like a ribbon on top of a line of dominoes toppling.

I represented an Amtrak engineer a few years ago in an accident where a garbage truck pulled out in front of him. He did not attempt an emergency stop (though he hit the brakes) because he knew it was too close to help and he thought the risk of derailment and to his train full of people was greater than anything which could have been gained.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I represented an Amtrak engineer a few years ago in an accident where a garbage truck pulled out in front of him. He did not attempt an emergency stop (though he hit the brakes) because he knew it was too close to help and he thought the risk of derailment and to his train full of people was greater than anything which could have been gained.

I hope you won.

Top Bottom