• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    Can someone explain to me how you price a used gun because apparently I am out of the loop. I can buy a new gen 3 old stock glock at a local dealer for 491, a new gen 4 for 525, a new m&p full size for 560, and a shield for less than 450. When I go to sell a used gun, whether it's been shot or not once it leaves the lot it's used, does that mean that I automatically add $50 dollars to the used sale price? Thanks for clearing this up guys I am Just confused about seeing used guns for sale at above retail price.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Used only goes for more than new when new ones aren't available.

Glock availability is improving, and I can't see anyone used glock out there going for more than a new version. Especially since the Gen 4s are so nice and come with 3 mags instead of 2.

I would think that if you assume you'll lose about 10% on a gun just because you were the first owner, then that's about right. You buy new for $500 and never shoot it. I'd price it for about $450 'used" but not less than that. If you have all the papers and such and it's never been fired, then it really is new. New means unused, not unpurchased.

JMO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Glock availability is improving, and I can't see anyone used glock out there going for more than a new version. Especially since the Gen 4s are so nice and come with 3 mags instead of 2.

I would think that if you assume you'll lose about 10% on a gun just because you were the first owner, then that's about right. You buy new for $500 and never shoot it. I'd price it for about $450 'used" but not less than that. If you have all the papers and such and it's never been fired, then it really is new. New means unused, not unpurchased.

JMO

True to a point....once purchased it is still a used gun.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

JMO
    I've picked up a couple nice ANIB used Glocks at that pricing. The good dealers are selling new 17, 19, 22, 23, 26 and 27 gen 3s for right at $500. Gen 4s for about $525. 21s and 30s are just a little higher. However there are some long time dealers selling the 17 to 27 gen 3s for $600 and higher and gen 4s for $30 more. They are apparently scoring with the "non-gun" people who maybe don't have a pistol and decide now's the time. (How else can you explain anybody buying any gun from Gander Mountail? :n00b:) So if someone bought from one of them and didn't like the gun and decided to sell it for $50 less they would be dismayed that someone wouldn't take their deal.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ah, but aside from the folks hoping to make a few extra bucks, not everyone buys their guns at such low prices, and there are a lot of LGS that have much higher prices. In gun stores the price for a new G17 ranges from about $450 to as high as $700 at some places. So if you paid $600 for it new and are selling it for $500 used you feel like you're taking a hit while those of us who are a little more savvy feel like you're trying to scalp.

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    Ya I understand some people pay more because they don't shop around but it's not my fault you walked into Cabellas or gander mountain and bought the first over priced gun they saw. It is frustrating to watch all these people ask way too much for used guns. If you want to sell something them don't get offended when someone offers you a fair price!

Cannonfodder333

Shooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    It doesn't matter whether the gun is new or used its about supply and demand....the harder it is to find a gun the higher the price goes. I blame gunbroker. When one person pays 2,500 for a 900 ksg then it's all down hill from there. Then another person pays that price and so on and then all of a sudden the secondary market takes over on value and retail price has nothing to do with it anymore. If people would be willing to be patient and calm down and stop paying stupid high price then The secondary market will slow down and prices will even out.

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    I understand the concept of supply and demand but I can go to 3 out of 4 gun store in town and get the guns I mentioned at the prices I listed. It's not like they are hard to find right now. I am in the market for a m&p 45 full size and was wanting to buy used to save a few dollars but people are asking for more than I can buy it at the local stores for.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm just as frustrated as anyone about the pricing of new and used guns these days. I've been on the look-out for a couple of Colt models the last couple of months, and while I have found a few offered for sale, the prices have been sky-high. I simply refuse to pay the inflated price that the seller is asking. I plan on playing the waiting game with the hope of prices coming back to a somewhat normal level at some point.

Firearms and pricing is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum here on INGO, but we represent just a tiny fraction of the gun owning population. I often wonder who the folks are that pay the high asking prices on some of these guns. Are there really that many uninformed gun owners out there, or are there more people with major disposable income than I realize.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Our area has a high cost of living. Rents are high, utilities are high, taxes are high.
    All of the things that affect a brick and mortar business of any kind are high.
    Add the liberal slant and the relative hostility of our government to guns to that.

I haven't bought a gun in a gun store in well over ten years.
    Now that I can get $10 transfers, I probably won't ever again.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Our area has a high cost of living. Rents are high, utilities are high, taxes are high.
    All of the things that affect a brick and mortar business of any kind are high.
    Add the liberal slant and the relative hostility of our government to guns to that.

I haven't bought a gun in a gun store in well over ten years.
    Now that I can get $10 transfers, I probably won't ever again.
    If you are not buying guns in gun shops, what is this $10 transfer you are talking about?

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    Well not the shields. Only one shop had those in and they had 3 Thursday but I imagine they are sold by now. The others didn't have shields but they had glocks and other m&ps.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Firearms and pricing is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum here on INGO, but we represent just a tiny fraction of the gun owning population. I often wonder who the folks are that pay the high asking prices on some of these guns. Are there really that many uninformed gun owners out there,

Yes, there really are that many people out there uneducated about guns, pricing, availability, etc. We here do represent a tiny fraction of the people who own guns and most people simply do not have any real clue about the market. That's why you can walk past booths at the 1500 selling the same gun for wildly different prices.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Well not the shields. Only one shop had those in and they had 3 Thursday but I imagine they are sold by now. The others didn't have shields but they had glocks and other m&ps.

If they're that available and the price is good, why not just buy there instead of starting yet another thread about the current market? In lots of places, they're not nearly that available, so supply and demand get to dance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently purchased a very nice Springer RO from the classifieds. The seller had paid a very high price when he bought it new. He was attempting a trade but when that did not work he contacted me as I had PM him about purchase. He was very salty with 1st price and after a bit of schooling he realized that a bit of shopping is in order when buying. We settled on a price both could live with and I am very pleased with the gun. He got what he wanted.
    Win/win and I met another ingo member that is a proper person.

Most folks on here are aware of the market. The noobies are a bit off but they will learn or go away.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I recently purchased a very nice Springer RO from the classifieds. The seller had paid a very high price when he bought it new. He was attempting a trade but when that did not work he contacted me as I had PM him about purchase. He was very salty with 1st price and after a bit of schooling he realized that a bit of shopping is in order when buying. We settled on a price both could live with and I am very pleased with the gun. He got what he wanted.
    Win/win and I met another ingo member that is a proper person.

Most folks on here are aware of the market. The noobies are a bit off but they will learn or go away.

Same thing for me when I got my Springfield xdm 5.25. The seller had bought it on a whim without shopping around, and was asking for more than I could get a new one at kygunco for.

Talked with the guy, and we both came to an agreeable price. Both left happy.

Just because its listed high doesn't mean they're selling for asking price.

I've got a few great deals recently:
    Molot super vepr .308 for $900 bnib
    M&p shield for $425 bnib
    Xdm 5.25 competition for $600 bnib

xxkornxx56

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Clinton
    I'm glad a few of you guys are getting good prices but most people I have messaged aren't too willing to negotiate unfortunately. Hopefully people will calm down and we all can start buying, selling, and trading at reasonable prices again ASAP!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom