• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hello fellow knife-lovers.

How about a little fun? I'm trying to find a knife as close to this fixed blade as possible. What can I say... whereas some of my purchases are based on practicality... a lot of what I buy (knives and guns, etc) are based on entertainment, gaming, and collector's items.

This is the primary knife in the Metal Gear Solid V game. I took some screenshots from a cutscene and I want to see if anyone here might be able to place it with a real-world version. Looks to be a fixed-blade, black coating. Sort of a recurve... but not as far to call it a kukri. Black-ish handle with a bit of a shaped grip. Any thoughts?

It sorta has the feel of a Fixed Contego or Nimravus...

z9jYHfc.png

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Based on the hole in the blade I would say Spyderco but according to the games timeline (yes I play MGSV) spyderco did not even exist then. My guess is they made it up for the game but I could be wrong.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Cold Steel Recon XL looks like it would be pretty comparable... You can get your self a vice and a file to recreate the file work on the top of the Blade if that was a main feature you liked...

Brad can probably order it for you, but here is a picture for reference. (note: this one is on clearance because they upgraded the Blade steel on the new version...)
    Cold Steel XL Recon, 1 Clip Point, 27TXLC - Walmart.com

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Looks like a Spartan NYX a little bit.

If you want a video game knife search that will make you pull your hair out try looking for the CQC knife that Naked Snake uses in Snake Eater.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like a Spartan NYX a little bit.

If you want a video game knife search that will make you pull your hair out try looking for the CQC knife that Naked Snake uses in Snake Eater.

Heh, that's a pretty good match for the blade part

3e5bf0a3054aa1984ae74aa8f04bbe9d.image.1000x661.jpg

Yeah the CQC knife in Snake Eater is a bit unique, too... maybe some sort of "neck knife", or something like this Strider:

Strider_Knives_Fixed-_HT-S_Cord_Black.jpeg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thats easy its a Jimmy Lile custom with a leather wrapped handle.

Figured if anyone would know it'd be you.

Heh, that's a pretty good match for the blade part

3e5bf0a3054aa1984ae74aa8f04bbe9d.image.1000x661.jpg

Yeah the CQC knife in Snake Eater is a bit unique, too... maybe some sort of "neck knife", or something like this Strider:

Strider_Knives_Fixed-_HT-S_Cord_Black.jpeg

The Strider is close but Snake's knife doesn't have the choil if I remember right. The closest I found was a Strider SA.

The Nyx isVery similar in the blade. The Schrade SCHF42 Frontier fixed blade is almost a dead ringer for the knife in V. But it's not something I would spend $50.00 on.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SC...xed-512-black-1095-plain-blade-leather-sheath

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Based on the pic at the far right, and the handle pic at the bottom, I vote for a version of Mission knives, or MadDog Knives.image.jpeg
    similar but not exact to the Mad Dog knife pictured, or possibly a Mission MPK?

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I know this is a necro post but for some reason this came up in conversation with my cousin, a fellow MGS nut, over the holiday and we found the Blade-Tech/Fox Knives Profili fixed blade with the earth brown grip is damn close to the knife in question. The handle on the MGS knife has more like an Extrema Ratio look to it though. If you took a Profili blade and bolted it to an Extrema Ratio handle that would be the knife from MGS V.

blade-tech-knife-profili-extreme-hunting-tactical-g10-fixed-blade-bt15fbexgpeea-5b1d42071ad38eaa68d51a43df308b40.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom