I'd like to dedicate this post to the Taurus TH model handguns and how to work on them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Wolff said they be getting back to me with a variety of springs.
    While I agree with others that I'd definitely shoot it first with factory springs to at least establish a baseline, Wolff sells "gunsmithing" spring packs that come with a wide variety of springs in various sizes that you can cut and match to your application. They're a decent value and nice to have on hand for those who like to tinker.

If I'm changing springs, I always save the factory ones, too, because you can always put them back.

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=categories&cID=4&mID=132&pID=&dspType=byManufacturer

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Update: I checked the current trigger pull, unaltered and it is 10 lbs DA and 6 lbs SA, not terrible but would like to see it lower.

Wolff Gunsprings got back to me, they said they found a great spring for me to experiment with and are sending me 3 of them.

I'm fixing up a jig to measure the spring strength as I work to find the lowest reliable strength for good primer ignition and then kick it back up a notch or two and see what I end up with.

The gun is not a barbecue gun it's more of a workhorse and it looks to be well built The only complaint I have left at this point is the magazine release but even it has loosened up some but it's not a 1911 yet.
    I would like to take the magazine release out and see if I could polish it up and make it smoother but I'm concerned that I might have a hard time putting it back together.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Update: I checked the current trigger pull, unaltered and it is 10 lbs DA and 6 lbs SA, not terrible but would like to see it lower.

Wolff Gunsprings got back to me, they said they found a great spring for me to experiment with and are sending me 3 of them.

I'm fixing up a jig to measure the spring strength as I work to find the lowest reliable strength for good primer ignition and then kick it back up a notch or two and see what I end up with.

The gun is not a barbecue gun it's more of a workhorse and it looks to be well built The only complaint I have left at this point is the magazine release but even it has loosened up some but it's not a 1911 yet.
    I would like to take the magazine release out and see if I could polish it up and make it smoother but I'm concerned that I might have a hard time putting it back together.
    I have a spring weight gauge... just saying

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Okay, the springs came today, they look exactly like the original except they are 1/2" longer.

So I took one of the springs and cut off the 1/2 " plus one coil and tested it.
    It dropped the double action from 10 lbs. down to 8 lbs. and made it much more user friendly but still made a significant indent in the primer. The single action trigger pull only dropped from 6 lbs. to about 5 lbs.

STOP THE PRESSES !!!

I believe I have discovered the real problem.
    I couldn't sleep and I kept wondering why cutting off one coil made such a big difference, so I went back and checked the length of travel of the spring and sure enough the spring appears to be binding up at the last of its travel. That would explain why removing one coil made such a big difference.

So I'm going to leave it be for a while and just shoot it. It is much more limber than when I got it and is easier to shoot now.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Care to share your Wolff spring part numbers? I picked up a TH10 earlier this year and was hoping Wolff would give us some options. :thumbsup:
    Wolff has not yet attempted a spring kit for the Taurus TH 10/45 yet but I sent them a picture of the spring next to a ruler and provided them with the dimensions and they looked up and found a very similar spring.

Item description is Taurus 65. 66. 669 RP Hammer spring 10 lb pack of three.

This is my crude but very effective way to measure the spring strength using the coat hanger wire and a fish scale which I checked against a postal meter scale to make sure it was accurate.20240828_004807.jpg

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Wolff has not yet attempted a spring kit for the Taurus TH 10/45 yet but I sent them a picture of the spring next to a ruler and provided them with the dimensions and they looked up and found a very similar spring.

Item description is Taurus 65. 66. 669 RP Hammer spring 10 lb pack of three.

This is my crude but very effective way to measure the spring strength using the coat hanger wire and a fish scale which I checked against a postal meter scale to make sure it was accurate.View attachment 376290
    20240828_103303.jpg
    Have you looked at increased power recoil spring options yet with Wolff? :ingo:
    No not yet but at the moment the magazine release spring may be my next challenge.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Update:
    I have been busy with a lot of dry firing because 10mm ammo can be expensive even though I make my own.

But I have been studying the magazine release and I have even ordered a complete assembly from Taurus just in case I happen to screw something up beyond repair I don't want to disable this handgun.

Now come on people, this is not a custom 1911 and it sure isn't a barbecue gun like I said before but I've been messing with it for some time now and I find it to be a solid work horse so far but if you find something that is not up to your standards then I think it is worth the time to fix it, at least it is mine and I happen to enjoy this kind of stuff. YMMV.

I'll let you know of any improvements I make (if any) and how I did them until someone better than me comes along.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    No.

Your reading comprehension is very poor.
    Where on YouTube did you find complete disassembley and reassemblyr instructions? I have searched for days.

I was forced to purchase this firearm new
    off of GunBroker sight unseen and when I got it I was disappointed in several things and since warranty would not apply I would have to correct the problems myself if possible.

Since others may be interested in this minor work on the TH series I decided to document it as best I could.
    Now since I can do little else due to health, this is how I pass my time and I enjoy it, nuff said.
    You state "warrenty" won't apply.. I bought a used Taurus revolver, it had problems, I called them, they told me to send it in, so I did. They fixed the problem, I called again to ask the price, they said no charge, and sent it back. This was an older "Miami" marked gun, they have since moved HQ to Bainbridge, Ga. They fixed it any way, companies don't want bad reviews, or reputations..

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    You state "warrenty" won't apply.. I bought a used Taurus revolver, it had problems, I called them, they told me to send it in, so I did. They fixed the problem, I called again to ask the price, they said no charge, and sent it back. This was an older "Miami" marked gun, they have since moved HQ to Bainbridge, Ga. They fixed it any way, companies don't want bad reviews, or reputations..
    Warranty won't apply because they're not going to do anything just because I think it's stiff.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    After experimenting around I think I'm going to put the original Hammer spring back in and see if it feels better than it did when I first got it.
    The reason being that although I've had no failures to fire, I don't really like the small indent of the firing pin on the primer, I think I'm sitting right on the edge of not getting good ignition and even though it has double strike capability, if I'm going to consider it for defensive use I'd rather have a little more assurance.
    Now my Delta Elite is the same way and it has never failed to fire but I also wouldn't consider it for serious defensive use, it's my range toy because it's worth a considerable amount of money.

Now, turning my attention to the magazine release I think I have figured out how to remove and replace it so I'll start working on that next.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yep, I wouldn't be comfortable with that lighter spring, either. I'm very surprised that you weren't getting failures to fire with a light impact like that.
    Yep, me too.
    But my Delta Elite is the same way and has never misfired.

The problem on the Delta Elite was it was leaving teardrop firing pin marks on the fired primers indicating that it was dragging upon opening which could possibly damage the firing pin, so I installed a slightly stronger spring and it cured the problem.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom