• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I've been hearing that since I was a teenage kid and AMF owned Harley Davidson. But yet, 40 years later, they are still in business as a Multi National Company.

Harley Davidson will adapt to today's world and its needs, just like its been doing since 1903.

Like General Electric? I admire your brand loyalty. I don't share your optimism.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Will be interesting to see if stockholders eventually oust the CEO, but sounds like it will be too little too late if/when they do.

Stock price history and cash burn for the spin off company for electric bikes also looks pretty bad.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Turn out like Westinghouse or other iconic brands. They get bought and continue to live on but they are not really the company they used to be.

I think of them like hermit crabs.
    Well, I've been hearing that since I was a teenage kid and AMF owned Harley Davidson. But yet, 40 years later, they are still in business as a Multi National Company.

Harley Davidson will adapt to today's world and its needs, just like its been doing since 1903.
    I predict fosz is right on this one now. I too have heard all the crap since the AMF days but this feels different. There are few younger boomers left on the train, with a few exceptions the next gen is not that interested, the following even less, and kids don’t even want to drive.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I saved up and bought my first Harley (Wide Glide) when I was 21-22. I've since upgraded to a newer Street Glide at 33yo. It's unfortunate to see this, but you have to lay in the bed you made.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I predict fosz is right on this one now. I too have heard all the crap since the AMF days but this feels different. There are few younger boomers left on the train, with a few exceptions the next gen is not that interested, the following even less, and kids don’t even want to drive.
    The younger owners " 35 and up" just keep coming in like they always have. Once they start making better money they buy American and keep buying American.
    It ain't just Boomers on Harleys.

Just remember boys, its already been 103 years.

In 2020, the average lifespan of a company on Standard and Poor's 500 Index was just over 21 years, compared with 32 years in 1965.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nice ride!

It was just the right amount of stupid for me at the time. Awesome torque for acceleration, but not something you had to ring out to have fun on. Good sound but not obnoxious "look at me being so super cool" loud. Enough storage for a day outing when the Goldwing was overkill. Unfortunately/fortunately as you look at it, Indy traffic ruined the fun for me and I got rid of both bikes around 2012-ish and never got another.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    This is not meant to insult all Harley riders…. That being said, I rode a sport bike back in the day. 20 years ago…. You park near other bikes at the county fair, your ninja might be covered in snot rockets when you come back.
    Cruisin down 421 minding your own business, Invaders that were sitting at a stop sign to turn right are now turning left to try to chase you down and you’re doing 100 in 50 feet because you can’t fight 30 guys.
    The bikes are cool but there’s so many people like that, was always torn by that. Harley’s were kind of like ICP, I liked em but their fans ruined it for a lot of people.
    It’s a shame because their history is pretty cool. And the deuce, the deuce is cool. And the night train.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So many younger people that don’t know how to drive clutches it’s no wonder they aren’t buying motorcycles, or they’re green new deal types that want an e-motorcycle.
    I really want to learn to ride a motorcycle. Unfortunately living in Indy this is basically suicide.

And when I do go out and buy a bike, I gotta be honest, it'll probably be anything but a Harley. Maybe a Ninja or CBR, probably a dual sport of some variety. Something relatively light but not suicidally fast. Basically anything but a thousand pound midlife crisis meant to be ridden to Sturgis by a 300 pound dentist. Harley-Davidson just has zero coolness cred with my generation.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It was just the right amount of stupid for me at the time. Awesome torque for acceleration, but not something you had to ring out to have fun on. Good sound but not obnoxious "look at me being so super cool" loud. Enough storage for a day outing when the Goldwing was overkill. Unfortunately/fortunately as you look at it, Indy traffic ruined the fun for me and I got rid of both bikes around 2012-ish and never got another.
    Lets just wait and see if Harley Davidson shuts down like Victory or stops building in the USA like Honda did.

Buy Union Made by American's

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Do they?

In round numbers:
    2006: 350,000 bikes sold globally
    2019: 218,000
    2023: 162,000

Harley doesn't seem to think so.
    Harley Davidson, 103 years.
    Your choice of buying a Victory, they didn't make 20 years and out of business.
    I own a 74 and a 71 year old Harley Davidson motorcycles, brand loyalty is so good I can still get any part new for those that I might need, Any part.
    I can do the same with most vintage British motorcycles also.
    One cant do that with a Victory or a old Gold Wing.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have never been in the HOG click, but it would probably be surprising how much they make off their clothing lines.
    Some dealers make more off clothing than motorcycles. My gear didnt come from a dealer either. I have a Harley sliding jacket, it was a gift. I'm kinna locked in to wearing it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Harley Davidson, 103 years.
    Your choice of buying a Victory, they didn't make 20 years and out of business.
    I own a 74 and a 71 year old Harley Davidson motorcycles, brand loyalty is so good I can still get any part new for those that I might need, Any part.
    I can do the same with most vintage British motorcycles also.
    One cant do that with a Victory or a old Gold Wing.

Cool, and again I'm happy you find that kind of pride in ownership to make you happy with your bikes. However, the topic of conversation remains the health of the business, and sloganeering doesn't alter that.

None of that makes HD any significant amount of money and they sell fewer bikes now in a year as they used to in a good quarter 20 years ago. People like you care, when's the last time you bought a new bike? How many years of buying new bikes do you have? Your notion that new 35 year olds are replacing you is not true per Harley themselves.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Cool, and again I'm happy you find that kind of pride in ownership to make you happy with your bikes. However, the topic of conversation remains the health of the business, and sloganeering doesn't alter that.

None of that makes HD any significant amount of money and they sell fewer bikes now in a year as they used to in a good quarter 20 years ago. People like you care, when's the last time you bought a new bike? How many years of buying new bikes do you have? Your notion that new 35 year olds are replacing you is not true per Harley themselves.
    Four new ones in my life, I haven't worn any of them or the others out yet.
    I suggest you go to a Poker Run, to a weekend rally or to a swap meet and see what ages are actually attending.
    I'm at them all the time. I believe what I see, not what I read.

Top Bottom