• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I would normally post this in the Motorcycle thread but this is happening all over in the new Woke America.

But there is now concern that even more Harley-Davidson dealerships may close amid a conservative boycott of the storied American company - which they say has gone 'woke' under CEO Jochen Zeitz.
    He went on to claim that DEI efforts have changed life inside the company of some 6,400 people.

Some 1,800 employees were trained on how to become an 'LGBTQ+ ally,' he said, while some sessions singled out white men for specific diversity-training.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Harley's troubles may be exacerbated by DEI, but that's just one small hole in an already capsizing ship. In round numbers, if you put $1k in HOG in 2014, you'd have $500 today vs $4,000 if you'd put it in NASDAQ index funds.

A stock that's lost half it's value over the last decade while the market it's listed in has grown to 4x is not a healthy or sustainable business. Total sales peaked nearly 20 years ago and I don't think they can reverse the trend. Their core demographic is literally dying off. Harley was a lifestyle brand that happened to sell motorcycles, and the lifestyle they tried to sell at the price they tried to sell it at never caught on with younger buyers.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Harley's troubles may be exacerbated by DEI, but that's just one small hole in an already capsizing ship. In round numbers, if you put $1k in HOG in 2014, you'd have $500 today vs $4,000 if you'd put it in NASDAQ index funds.

A stock that's lost half it's value over the last decade while the market it's listed in has grown to 4x is not a healthy or sustainable business. Total sales peaked nearly 20 years ago and I don't think they can reverse the trend. Their core demographic is literally dying off. Harley was a lifestyle brand that happened to sell motorcycles, and the lifestyle they tried to sell at the price they tried to sell it at never caught on with younger buyers.
    Not necessarily with the Harley, depends on which model. The FX line has always held its value much better than the bagger and upper end lines.
    I can sell my Pans and Shovels for much more than I paid for them.
    My 2010 FXDC twin cam is worth a few grand more than I paid for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was just making a point as a owner for over 45 years, since 1975, that not all models loose money.

Stipulated, but nothing in the conversation was about individual models or retaining value on the used market so I was somewhat confused by you quoting me and offering the info. The post you quoted was about buying stock, not a bike.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Stipulated, but nothing in the conversation was about individual models or retaining value on the used market so I was somewhat confused by you quoting me and offering the info. The post you quoted was about buying stock, not a bike.
    Yes, I was aware. Stock goes up and stock goes down.
    Companies evolve or they die, like Indian has a few times. There is a reason that Honda shut down its American Plant.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    San Fran dudes then
    Sand Fran dudes now

Any wonder the HD Dealer in San Francisco is closing…….
    Harley will never die all together. It may change ownership or some radical change of some sort but we will see HDs on the road forever

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpeg
      IMG_1142.jpeg
      45.3 KB · Views: 22
    • IMG_1143.jpeg
      IMG_1143.jpeg
      91.3 KB · Views: 21

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I know ZERO about motorcycles, but I am curious to know how many Harley riders are under 40?

It seems like there is always some "old" (not 20/30-something) person on them. Will that hurt their company/business long term?

Would enjoy hearing from someone who knows motorcycles on this topic!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, I was aware. Stock goes up and stock goes down.

Well, until it stops going up. Which HOG did in November of 2006. It's been some version of down ever since with no signs of turnaround. Harley is withering and has been for quite awhile. They'll probably limp along for the foreseeable future, but I think they are going to be another Kodak. A former powerhouse who is too burdened by their past to pivot into the future successfully. The DEI move will certainly not help.

It seems like there is always some "old" (not 20/30-something) person on them. Will that hurt their company/business long term?

Yes, and it already has. They've not been able to capture the youth demographic for quite awhile. Part of it, I think, was their dealer network which had a reputation for acting like they were doing you a favor by letting you buy one of their bikes. I came home to the US in my mid/late 20s ready to buy a motorcycle. Harley dealers talked me out of a Harley. I ended up with a Goldwing then and a Victory later. And this is someone who was in the core demographic they were chasing, they spent a ton of money advertising on military installations overseas at the time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, until it stops going up. Which HOG did in November of 2006. It's been some version of down ever since with no signs of turnaround. Harley is withering and has been for quite awhile. They'll probably limp along for the foreseeable future, but I think they are going to be another Kodak. A former powerhouse who is too burdened by their past to pivot into the future successfully. The DEI move will certainly not help.
    Turn out like Westinghouse or other iconic brands. They get bought and continue to live on but they are not really the company they used to be.

I think of them like hermit crabs.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, I've been hearing that since I was a teenage kid and AMF owned Harley Davidson. But yet, 40 years later, they are still in business as a Multi National Company.

Harley Davidson will adapt to today's world and its needs, just like its been doing since 1903.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Yes, and it already has. They've not been able to capture the youth demographic for quite awhile. Part of it, I think, was their dealer network which had a reputation for acting like they were doing you a favor by letting you buy one of their bikes. I came home to the US in my mid/late 20s ready to buy a motorcycle. Harley dealers talked me out of a Harley. I ended up with a Goldwing then and a Victory later. And this is someone who was in the core demographic they were chasing, they spent a ton of money advertising on military installations overseas at the time.
    Which Victory?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think I heard the new guy in charge was scrapping the new hotness smaller water cooled bikes in favor of flagship $40000 bikes, his idea was fewer sales, but more high $$$ sales.
    It ain’t gonna work.

Yup. They are accepting that soft sales, rising interest rates, and lack of appeal among younger buyers is a huge hurdle so they are doubling down on Boomer-with-disposable-income sales. Short term bump, maybe, but again why their demographic is literally dying out.

Top Bottom