I Wonder if the Officer Feeels Like a Real Man Now...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So you would have done more than break his neck? You need to find a new job if you have to do more than break an old man's neck to put him in his place.

I'm pretty sure the cop didn't sneak around behind the old guy and snap his neck like a bad action flick. The old man proposed a fight and the cop accepted. I see intent, imminance, and weapon system (bare hands). I see no reason why the cop went beyond the pall by meeting the incoming force with a like level of force. The cop showed restraint by not only using like force, he gave the geezer three warnings. The cop made one move. If this old guy didn't bounce he shouldn't have picked a fight.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    it's unfortunate that he suffered a broken neck but that doesn't mean the officer used excessive force. i know from experience that if you give a old person CPR you will break all their ribs, just the way it goes. bones get brittle and break easy the older you are.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Give me a break, the cop didn't snap the old farts neck for smarting off to him. It was an undesired result from the officer taking control of the situation by physically taking the subject down. The old man could still be a threat, regardless of how old he is. Especially if he gained access to the officers firearm. My gut tells me the last thing that officer tried to do was break that old mans neck.

When we get old, we get brittle. When you start pushing a cop around, their are going to be consequences.

This article is a good example of fake news.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    That doesn't suck to you? Getting your car towed doesn't suck? That's odd...

Have you ever gone to a small pizza place to pick up a pizza? Say they only have 2-3 parking places, all full. Do you just go back home? Wait for the sit-down eaters to finish their meals, get into their cars and leave before you go in to pick up your ice cold pizza, or do you park in a different business' parking spot?

I'm not saying I don't agree the grocery store owner had a little douche-baggery going on, but we also don't know the history about his lot being used for what purposes in the past. Again......agree or not the lot is his to do with as he wishes.

Also, parking in another lot to run in and get a pizza is a little different than parking there to go get your drink on at the bar. Chances are had he parked there for a quick stop he would have been gone well before the hook got there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm not saying I don't agree the grocery store owner had a little douche-baggery going on, but we also don't know the history about his lot being used for what purposes in the past. Again......agree or not the lot is his to do with as he wishes.

Also, parking in another lot to run in and get a pizza is a little different than parking there to go get your drink on at the bar. Chances are had he parked there for a quick stop he would have been gone well before the hook got there.

According to the story he had, that is why he posted the signs.

And yes I might park somewhere to run in and get a pizza that was waiting on me, but that take a couple of minutes.

The article says he was leaving the bar going to his car when he saw it was being towed. And that he had been drinking. So I'm going to guess he was there for more than just a few minutes. I may be wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

And as for him being 84 anyone else remember
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...Y112rE&t=1&usg=__ZxCYRnwt56EOpA61z9kzmANKkBs=
    beardman.jpg

Although I don't think he's 84 he's about 70 iirc, if he kept putting his hands on me and balled up his fist and said he wasn't leaving until I was knocked out, I don't think I'd be throwing a hip check more like :biggun:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So, cold pizza for you, I guess?

Yes, I am absolutely for property rights. If the grocery store owner was in absolute need for that single parking spot, sure, call the tow truck. But if he was just being a jerk, then I feel like it was uncalled for, but as you pointed out, it wasn't my property, so my opinion doesn't matter.

That man was being irresponsible after he saw his car getting towed, that's the only reason I brought it up.

OK, then since I publicly insinuated you were being hypocritical, I was wrong and I apologize.

And yes, I do find another place to park when I go pick up the pizza (Monicals Pizza at Trader's Point - thin crust with bacon topping, our favorite).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If the citizenry is going to be held to a standard of "disparity of force," then I don't see why LE shouldn't either.

Without a video or a picture of the man, I'll reserve final judgment. But I find it hard to believe that the officer couldn't have restrained the old man in a manner less likely to cause bodily injury.

Frankly, I'm more than a little disgusted at the latitude given to LE to use physical force these days. And only slightly more disturbing is the justification for it. As if touching the officer really amounts to battery. Some of you sound like a bunch of asses.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    If the citizenry is going to be held to a standard of "disparity of force," then I don't see why LE shouldn't either.

Without a video or a picture of the man, I'll reserve final judgment. But I find it hard to believe that the officer couldn't have restrained the old man in a manner less likely to cause bodily injury.

Frankly, I'm more than a little disgusted at the latitude given to LE to use physical force these days. And only slightly more disturbing is the justification for it. As if touching the officer really amounts to battery. Some of you sound like a bunch of asses.

That standard does swing both ways though. I think officers should be on equal legal footing with the citizens, but they shouldn't be expected to stand like statues when someone threatens to assault them and puts their hands on them multiple times.

If someone threatened me with psychical force and puts their hands on me three times, it's time to defend myself, in most situations. Like you said, we don't have any video with concrete evidence, either way, so who knows what exactly was going on. Maybe the old man was being extremely belligerent and kept attempting to assault the officer. Maybe the officer was unstable and wanted to crack someone's neck. We don't know, as you said.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Your post stimulates an interesting question. Suppose a private citizen had done the same thing, and the officer showed up after the fact. Does the citizen go to jail?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What sucks? That he got mad because his car was getting towed or because the owner of the store had it towed? If the latter, why? We're apparently not talking about a public street here; we're talking about a private parking lot which was posted.

If they put up a sign prohibiting entry by people with firearms, can they tow your vehicle when you ignore it? It's private propety, you aren't suppose to be there or be shopping there.

When you start spouting off that crap about how you can't read or that sign has no weight of law and he disarms and cuffs you while he's assessing if you are an idiot, he may feel threatened. Can he hip check you and help you out with a little asphalt lip balm?

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If they put up a sign prohibiting entry by people with firearms, can they tow your vehicle when you ignore it? It's private propety, you aren't suppose to be there or be shopping there.

When you start spouting off that crap about how you can't read or that sign has no weight of law and he disarms and cuffs you while he's assessing if you are an idiot, he may feel threatened. Can he hip check you and help you out with a little asphalt lip balm?

Well, presumably if you are ejected from the store when you are discovered with your firearm, you can just get right into your car and leave, can't you? It's a little different when you park your car in private parking that you don't control, go off and leave your vehicle for an extended period of time (how much time, on average, do you spend when you go into a bar/tavern?), thus depriving the merchant who controls the property of a parking space that a customer might use.

For the rest of your comment...Huh?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Heres more info and a picture of the guy. Oh my what a vicious desperado, the cop is an *******, that throwdown was over the top.

Calls describe scuffle between senior and cop

I'm not sure what you're seeing to make you feel this way.

First of all, all we can see in this photo is a man in a hospital gown with a brace on his neck; I can't make any determination to his size, general condition prior to the incident or his demeanor prior to the incident.

Second, the descriptions of the policeman's confrontation with the man sound like the type of hyperbole you hear when someone has an axe to grind and doesn't really understand what they're seeing. Do you really believe this cop hoisted the guy into the air, turned him upside down and slammed his head into the pavement?

Third, the guy had already punched the tow truck driver three times and just because the driver forebore to punch his lights out, how would that affect anyone else who was subject to the guy's abuse?

This guy should have been arrested for assaulting the tow truck driver, much less for assaulting the cop; I have no sympathy whatever for him.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So the old guy had been drinking, put his hands on the officer 3 times, was warned 3 times to stop, and then made threats to knock the officer unconscious. What do people expect the officer to do in order to take control of the situation? A witness stated in the article that the old guy didn't deserve to have his neck broken for parking in the wrong spot, well I highly doubt the officer intended to break the guy's neck. As far as whether the officer needed to use force such as he used to take control of the guy, I don't know, I'd have to know more about the old guy. Just saying that he's 84 years old doesn't mean he's frail and weak and should be handled with kid gloves. How many of the people trashing the officer have actually had to take physical control of someone who didn't want to cooperate? You would be absolutely shocked to know how strong "frail, old people" can be.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm not sure what you're seeing to make you feel this way.

First of all, all we can see in this photo is a man in a hospital gown with a brace on his neck; I can't make any determination to his size, general condition prior to the incident or his demeanor prior to the incident.

Second, the descriptions of the policeman's confrontation with the man sound like the type of hyperbole you hear when someone has an axe to grind and doesn't really understand what they're seeing. Do you really believe this cop hoisted the guy into the air, turned him upside down and slammed his head into the pavement?

Third, the guy had already punched the tow truck driver three times and just because the driver forebore to punch his lights out, how would that affect anyone else who was subject to the guy's abuse?

This guy should have been arrested for assaulting the tow truck driver, much less for assaulting the cop; I have no sympathy whatever for him.

95 % of the time I am on the side of law enforcement, I think the cop could have tried to handle this guy and got the cuffs on him without flipping him over so hard he was injured that badly. If the cop had tried to get him under control with something less lethal and could not get the cuffs on the guy, then fine go ahead and take him down. I think Officer Friendly was overzealous in his attempt to overpower an 84 year old guy, even if the guy did not look a day over 75. This guy could still die from complications from all this, it's not going to be easy to heal those old bones. I have a real soft spot for the elderly, I don't think he had this coming.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    84 and drinking and it took all that to subdue him? way to go barney those karate lessons finally paid off andy will be proud.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    From the article:

"Police say Daley made a fist and said ‘I'm not leaving until I knock this cop out.’"
    do we have any witnesses to that other than the police? im sure a cop has never lied on a report before but just to be on the safe side i would look for witnesses.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    do we have any witnesses to that other than the police? im sure a cop has never lied on a report before but just to be on the safe side i would look for witnesses.

There were witnesses to the fact that he put his hands on the officer several times so it would stand to reason that they also saw this too. I don't know 100% for sure, but it's a reasonable inference to make.

Top Bottom