• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trav_3897

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Spencer Co.
    Today in my psychology class, my professor decided to tell a story from his younger years. He said "Me and some buddies in grad school got drunk at a bon fire. We had a box of .22 LR bullets and thought it would be funny to throw it in the fire. Next thing you know, everybody is running and screaming and you could hear the bullets zipping past us." That is not the worst part... my entire class thought it was the funniest thing. Then someone made a comment about that's why students shouldn't carry weapons. This made me sick! I'm just wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone throwing a box of ammo into a fire before? Should I have spoken up or just kept my opinions to my self?

P.S. This guy now has a PhD in Psychology and is teaching several classes. I'm afraid somebody will be stupid enough to repeat this idiotic stunt.

P.S.S. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum. It was about ammo in a way :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would have made the comment that drunken idiots should not throw ammo in fires.
    Responsible students carrying guns is still a fine idea.:twocents:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I would have made the comment that drunken idiots should not throw ammo in fires.
    Responsible students carrying guns is still a fine idea.:twocents:

Depends on the sie of the class and a couple other things, but yeah, what he said.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I threw 5 .22LR rounds in a fire once when I was about 13-years old. My friends and I hid behind a log for about 5-minutes and they didn't go off. Finally, we came out of hiding, thinking the rounds were duds, and right when we got out in the open one of the rounds went off. We ran back behind the log and waited about 20-minutes for the rest to go.

I know it was dumb. Give me a break - I was 13.

Edit - and I have had lots of college - 7-years worth. Sometimes college students (or prospective college students) lack common sense.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I threw 5 .22LR rounds in a fire once when I was about 13-years old. We hid behind a log for about 5-minutes and they didn't go off. Finally, we came out of hiding, thinking the rounds were duds, and right when we got out in the open one of the rounds went off. We ran back behind the log and waited about 20-minutes for the rest to go off.

I know it was dumb. Give me a break - I was 13.

How about setting off a primer in you reloading room to see what it sounds like? :):

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Read a story quite some time ago about a kid who made the mistake of dropping a hand full of .22LR's into a pocket where he already had an alkaline 9 volt battery. A few minutes later...... BANG!!!!!!! Luckily, he wasn't really hurt. Just a bit of a burn on his leg. :eek:
    :cheers:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    honestly I wonder how half these kids got into school. when I was managing apartments in town(hoosier ct. college apts.) we had at leats 5-6 calls a week from idiots not knowing how to work common household items and getting thongs stuck in their garbage disposal(I voluntered for those calls;))
    cell phones stuck in toilets. you name something stupid you don't think could happen and I've probably seen it, or fixed it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Mythbusters did do a show on this, and it turned out to not be bad at all, but still, not smart.

Everyone quickly forgets that the restrictive space of a chamber and barrel is what makes the bullet go out the end. If you toss a bunch of bullets into a fire they will "cook off", but they don't suddenly go zooming out of the fire at 1400fps.

Lots of pressure + nowhere to go but down the tube = ouch.

Lots of pressure + open to atmosphere = teeny tiny firecracker.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Try imagining a young boy who understands the basic principle of a bullet:

#1) Pressure of an impact occurs at one end;
    #2) The gunpowder goes "BOOM"
    #3) The bullet goes in the direction it is pointed.

So, many years ago a 10 - 12 year old boy finds a .22 caliber long rifle round while staying out at the farm with his grandparents for a weekend. He also finds a hammer... :rolleyes:

The first time I hit the base of the round nothing happened. The base was smashed, but that was it. Of course I was being safe by aiming it at an empty field. What do you think I was, STOOPID??? ;)

PERSISTENCE, gentlemen, is what many young boys have. Two neurons firing together in unison? Well that is another matter.

The second time I hit it there was an awfully loud and brief explosion!:rockwoot:

I actually managed to hold onto the hammer, my grandparents appeared out of nowhere, and all was good in the world.

We never did find where the round went or the brass casing.:dunno:

I'm very glad my family didn't go camping and I didn't have access to a whole box of ammo. Me with ammo near a fire could have been truly bad.

All little boys are capable of stupid things, but it is only as an adult that we can foul up on a truly spectacular level!

Imagine the private standing up to "see" his frag grenade go off during Marine Corps bootcamp. Drill instructors are very lacking in understanding when threatened with possible paperwork...:whistle:

Doug

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Everyone quickly forgets that the restrictive space of a chamber and barrel is what makes the bullet go out the end. If you toss a bunch of bullets into a fire they will "cook off", but they don't suddenly go zooming out of the fire at 1400fps.

Lots of pressure + nowhere to go but down the tube = ouch.

Lots of pressure + open to atmosphere = teeny tiny firecracker.

Like is he said. They only cook off. The worst thing that comes out is a primer to small piece of brass. I would call the professor on the story. Just something he made up.

Honestly have done that a lot of times back in a old hunting camp with newbe hunter. My partner and I never move, must pulled our hat bills down over our eyes. The hunters would take off for cover.

When they came back we explained why it just is not that dangerous. We just proved it to them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Today in my psychology class, my professor decided to tell a story from his younger years. He said "Me and some buddies in grad school got drunk at a bon fire. We had a box of .22 LR bullets and thought it would be funny to throw it in the fire. Next thing you know, everybody is running and screaming and you could hear the bullets zipping past us." That is not the worst part... my entire class thought it was the funniest thing. Then someone made a comment about that's why students shouldn't carry weapons. This made me sick! I'm just wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone throwing a box of ammo into a fire before? Should I have spoken up or just kept my opinions to my self?

P.S. This guy now has a PhD in Psychology and is teaching several classes. I'm afraid somebody will be stupid enough to repeat this idiotic stunt.

P.S.S. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum. It was about ammo in a way :dunno:

Which part made you think college students were smart?

Trav_3897

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Spencer Co.
    I wanted to say how stupid that was but nobody in the class (including the professor) is very "gun friendly"... except for me! The debate would have lasted so long I never would have gotten out of there. I needed to go home and clean my pistol anyway :laugh:.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You only have to drive a short distance in Bloomington to realize that education and intelligence are NOT RELATED.

I swear its like taking your life into your hands every time you get in a car. I honestly think Chicago driving may be safer. These idiots come to a dead stop in the middle of the road for no reason. I bet I witness it at least 5 times a week.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    People who drink should stay away from cars and firearms. If you can't responsibly operate something that can cause levels of high severity, don’t get near it.

However I will admit to cutting open some 12g birdshots and dropping the primers in a firepit once. Luckily it sounded like a machine gun and freaked my buddies out, unluckily i got a lot of debre from the fire on me and got burned a bit.

Top Bottom