• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    back to thread topic, how do I go about damage control.

My boss know knows I'm looking for employment
    If I don't find employment boss is going to be worried I'll quit
    I'm not exactly easily replaceable due to amount of training REQUIRED to work on BMWs
    BMW won't let just anyone change oil in their cars at a dealership when performing maintenance under the vehicle warranty.

Him not talking to you is a good thing, unless you find our job in the paper haha. If you are another mouth to feed then chances are he might be glad because it will reduce overhead and free up work for those that have been their longer. From the sounds of it he would not replace you any time soon if you left.

Lesson of the day, when you are looking for another job never talk about it at work, hint about it, ect ect.

Being honest is the best thing to do, if you are wanting to get back into the white collar side of the biz or want to move onto other things in the amtomotive feild then tell him if he asks...... I am sure he was on the floor at one point also....

This is why you stay quiet untill you have another job waiting though to avoid this kind of thing........

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    back to thread topic, how do I go about damage control.

My boss know knows I'm looking for employment
    If I don't find employment boss is going to be worried I'll quit
    I'm not exactly easily replaceable due to amount of training REQUIRED to work on BMWs
    BMW won't let just anyone change oil in their cars at a dealership when performing maintenance under the vehicle warranty.

Damage control at this point is this: do your job to the best of your ability until you can find something else. Don't tell your boss anything else about it. Just suck it up and drive on! After all, that guy gave you a chance and put money in your pocket. He doesn't deserve to be BS'd when he knows just as well as you do that times are hard.

Now, when/if you find something else, give his two weeks notice and thank him for the opportunity to serve in the position that he gave you.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hmm so you work at tomkinson?

Do you ever work in the parts department or just in the back?

I have had some less than pleasant service there.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm going to give simple advice that's almost never taken:

Go to your boss. Tell him you value your job and you'd like to know how he views your performance. Tell him it's so you know what to improve, and what to keep doing.

Here's the most important part:

Don't argue, don't explain. Take notes. Smile when he's done.

Most important of all:

Whatever he says he wants to see more of, do it a lot, with great enthusiasm.

Oh, and come to work a little early, and leave a little late.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    As one that has came from the service backgound. The older guys always have a dislike for new younger guys for about the first year your in the shop. I came in the shop when I was 19 turning wrenches. The older guys didnt say really much to me for about the first year. Then they started showing me tricks of the trade and showing me ways to fill their shoes when they were long gone, thats just how the business works I guess.

When I finally did start looking for another job 4 years later my boss seen my truck at another place when he was on lunch. He asked me I was honest and told him yea I cant survive on the crap work he was throwing on me. They started feeding me then a month later I moved up here. :D It will all pan out man.

Working on BMW's is a asset alone like you said not everyone gets to work in a BMW shop.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Generations in the workforce is a complicating issue. Im 25 and work next to a guy at the shop that is 65...its a chore I tell you that. Im in the same profession as op.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Generations in the workforce is a complicating issue. Im 25 and work next to a guy at the shop that is 65...its a chore I tell you that. Im in the same profession as op.

I have turned wrenches on commercial aircraft with guys in their 60's and older and I am in my upper 20's and most of them would run circles around me when it came to fixing stuff.... they could also crank out the OT a lot easier then I could.... I would be a walking zombie and they would still be running around... that would be after like the 80 hour mark..... one of them would work a 100 hour week and not be in TO bad of shape...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I want to get out of the wrenching side and just be a service writer/salesman because I have the rare ability to put technical terms into terms that every day people can understand.

Don't let him ^ fool ya.
    He just wants a job with a pay bump so he can keep himself supplied with those frozen Starbucks yummy looking treat drinks.
    :D

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I'm young with limited experience in my field, only been working in it for 3.5 years with only the past 6 months months (been working there 8 months) being into the advanced diagnostics.

You either sold yourself to them as something that you are not, or the dealership has a serious dispatching problem.

You wouldn't happen to be a STEP grad would you?

Young kid, eight months on the job, should be shadowed by an experienced tech.

1. My boss has not once made an attempt to have a conversation with me about who I am, where I'm from my ethics and morals. ETC

That would be a rare conversation from ANY of the 150+ Service Managers I've interacted with over the last 20 years.

Actions (yours) speak louder than words. He's already made up his mind about you.

Its unlikely you'll ever be called into his office, with incense burning, to talk about your "feelings".

3. It's not what I want to do anymore, I struggle with it daily and become very disappointed in myself that I can't easily solve problems.

You are still a kid, you've got the same problem most 20 somethings do in the business.

I have this same conversation with young technicians at least once a week.

You went to school, got some paper, got pumped up that you are the S**T, and have realized that you can't fix a sandwich, yet.

It'll come with experience, just like your productivity and your hourly rate.

You need to get that notion out of your head.

Just for clarification, how much BMW instructor led training have you got under your belt right now?

It isn't difficult to land another technician job around right now, provided you've got a big enough pond to swim in. Unfortunately, Fort Wayne isn't one.

Folks talk, and bouncing around from dealership to dealership when you are this young is a good way to get stuck on the lube rack or squeak and rattle duty for the rest of your career.

Nobody is going to spent the money/unapplied time to send you to manufacturer instructor led training if they think you're going to bail in short order.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    In response to Fireball168 when I was working on airplanes we were getting uys and gals from a local "school" that fed them all sorts of crap and they though they were the next boy genius....... one of the girls thought that machine sanding fiberglass composites in a confined space with no reperator was ok and thought it was no big deal if she got cancer because everyone else in her family did....

Another kid thought he was the bomb and was later fired..... lets just say a buddy of his quit and had not come back for his box so he decided he wanted it and tried to walk it out..... instead of doing it on another shift when nobody would recognize him as not being the owner he did it on his normal shift..

Back on subject all the new guys learn that you have to take what you can get untill you get a good chunk of time under your best and can fix about anything fast.

I don't know a lot about automotive but it sounds like you are still seen as the new guy when it comes to automotive...... In aviation you are not considerd someone that knows their stuff untill you are like a 5 level (highest)........ I busted my butt and cranked out the overtime and in a year and a half was a 2-3 level depending on the job...... a few I was a 4 or 5 level. Keep in mind this was on the same type aircraft.... not a bunch of different models of a car.

I do agree that bouncing around ony hurts you....... you get to another shop then have to spend time proving that you are not a hack and do good but fast work..... jump around less and have more time to learn new things or impress people.... it goes not only for aviation or atomotive but anything maintenance related......

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Any updates?

Also, FWIW, I'm 21 and have a full-time position with a legal firm. I don't expect the attorneys to sit me down and discuss my "worldview". Not all young employees are the same :D I appear, do my work, and earn my paycheck. That's it. Let's ease up a bit on the OP. :) He's trying to obtain new employment (a feat in this economy) and needs advice on how to get through the day at the job he currently has. Keep your head down, appear on time and do your best, and hopefully it will all pan out. Also, I consider it a good day when a manager/attorney/boss leaves me alone to do my work. It's when they interfere with questions, etc that my day takes a dive. :D Everyone's different I suppose. Best of luck.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I'm 25. My bosses know who I am and they want to know EVERYTHING about my personal life. But then again, I work with women. :cool:

Ditto!! (except I'm 34)
    But I think we are in the same profession. (and it is a PROFESSION!) :yesway:

OP: I'm not the best to give advice on this, I'll just say, good luck, and hope you find what you are looking for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    It looks as of right now everything has cooled down. I've at least gotten out of some specialization certification practical tests for now.
    He still doesn't talk to me which is good.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    You either sold yourself to them as something that you are not, or the dealership has a serious dispatching problem.

You wouldn't happen to be a STEP grad would you?

Young kid, eight months on the job, should be shadowed by an experienced tech.

That would be a rare conversation from ANY of the 150+ Service Managers I've interacted with over the last 20 years.

Actions (yours) speak louder than words. He's already made up his mind about you.

Its unlikely you'll ever be called into his office, with incense burning, to talk about your "feelings".

You are still a kid, you've got the same problem most 20 somethings do in the business.

I have this same conversation with young technicians at least once a week.

You went to school, got some paper, got pumped up that you are the S**T, and have realized that you can't fix a sandwich, yet.

It'll come with experience, just like your productivity and your hourly rate.

You need to get that notion out of your head.

Just for clarification, how much BMW instructor led training have you got under your belt right now?

It isn't difficult to land another technician job around right now, provided you've got a big enough pond to swim in. Unfortunately, Fort Wayne isn't one.

Folks talk, and bouncing around from dealership to dealership when you are this young is a good way to get stuck on the lube rack or squeak and rattle duty for the rest of your career.

Nobody is going to spent the money/unapplied time to send you to manufacturer instructor led training if they think you're going to bail in short order.

Yes STEP. No other instructor lead classes.
    I've started going to school again to completely get out of the automotive field. It's hard to leave the job because it pays well. I'm trying to decide if a pay cut would be worth the lack of headaches

Top Bottom