• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Well I've been very unhappy where I'm at, I get a vibe all the time from my boss that I'm not performing to his expectations, the people I work with think it was a mistake I was hired as we are not very busy and I'm just one more mouth to feed. I'm young with limited experience in my field, only been working in it for 3.5 years with only the past 6 months months (been working there 8 months) being into the advanced diagnostics.

Well long story short the main reasons I want to leave is that:
    1. My boss has not once made an attempt to have a conversation with me about who I am, where I'm from my ethics and morals. ETC
    2. The people I work with are unhappy that I'm there as I'm an extra mouth to feed and taking away their money.
    3. It's not what I want to do anymore, I struggle with it daily and become very disappointed in myself that I can't easily solve problems.

My story to my boss, which he hasn't asked me about it yet, is going to be it's just for part time work. Yes I know its a giant lie and lie's are bad I just don't want to get fired and then not be able to collect unemployment if I can't get another job right away.

Does anyone have a better solution for this?

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Be real. Your boss will know if you are BS'ing him. People can tell when they are being BS'd and they dont like it.

Who knows, he may be able to help in an unexpected way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Get fired and take unemployment if you must. Just don't quit or knowingly eff up while on the job or you're debarred from unemployment insurance.

If he wants to fire you for no reason, let him.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    If you don't mode me asking, what do you do for a living?

mechanic

I want to get out of the wrenching side and just be a service writer/salesman because I have the rare ability to put technical terms into terms that every day people can understand.

Get fired and take unemployment if you must. Just don't quit or knowingly eff up while on the job or you're debarred from unemployment insurance.

If he wants to fire you for no reason, let him.

no, no I still give the job my 110% 99% of the time and don't plan on changing that, my boss just thinks, uh I don't know what he thinks because he never talks to anyone.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    mechanic

I want to get out of the wrenching side and just be a service writer/salesman because I have the rare ability to put technical terms into terms that every day people can understand.

no, no I still give the job my 110% 99% of the time and don't plan on changing that, my boss just thinks, uh I don't know what he thinks because he never talks to anyone.

Oh so you are taking money/jobs from the other mechanics. :D

dude its a job, keep your head down and do your job.

Theres no future in being a service writer.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Ok... You have a great change here, I worked in Motorcycle sales in Indianapolis left there to work at a dealership in Terre Haute. (no longer work there)

Competition loves to get a guy from a different team, they like to know what the other guy is doing. The job market is not a crap hole when your presented as the best. Start working on your resume, put down every task you were asked in previous employment.

Companys are always hiring even when they say they are not, someone can always be replaced.

Life is too short to work at a job you hate.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    1. My boss has not once made an attempt to have a conversation with me about who I am, where I'm from my ethics and morals. ETC
    I've never understood why younger people expect to have this conversation. What your boss wants is someone who comes to work on time, works hard and doesn't bring a lot of excess baggage to the work place. He doesn't want to have to kiss your behind or stroke your ego to get an honest day's work out of you. I'm not bashing...most younger people want this...and get upset when it doesn't happen.

Your boss is probably from the baby boomer generation and you are either a generation X or a millennial.

Interesting stuff...the differences in what each generation wants from their employer or employees. I had to attend a 2 week seminar on this subject.

Four Generations in the Workforce - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I've never understood why younger people expect to have this conversation. What your boss wants is someone who comes to work on time, works hard and doesn't bring a lot of excess baggage to the work place. He doesn't want to have to kiss your behind or stroke your ego to get an honest day's work out of you. I'm not bashing...most younger people want this...and get upset when it doesn't happen.

Your boss is probably from the baby boomer generation and you are either a generation X or a millennial.

Interesting stuff...the differences in what each generation wants from their employer or employees. I had to attend a 2 week seminar on this subject.

I'm not upset about it, I personally don't give 2 :poop:s about the guy, he's got serious anger issues yet my only thought is how can you judge me if you've never even talked to me. I do all my work without complaining to him, I just don't understand, maybe because I've never worked for someone like that. He's at the very tail end of the baby boomers I wouldn't even consider him a baby boomer. He was in the marines and think every day life is the military.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

Very good point Public Servant.

Young people expect too much today. Not every boss really gives a hoot about what makes you tick. As long as they are fair and recognize good work, that may be the most you can expect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My boss has not once made an attempt to have a conversation with me about who I am, where I'm from my ethics and morals. ETC

This is exactly why PublicServant thinks that about you. They are your own words. Not to sound so flat, but there's your answer. A boss doesn't need to do any of the things you mention above, and some would argue that a good boss shouldn't get wrapped up in his subordinates personal lives. YMMV.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    back to thread topic, how do I go about damage control.

My boss know knows I'm looking for employment
    If I don't find employment boss is going to be worried I'll quit
    I'm not exactly easily replaceable due to amount of training REQUIRED to work on BMWs
    BMW won't let just anyone change oil in their cars at a dealership when performing maintenance under the vehicle warranty.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    This is exactly why PublicServant thinks that about you. They are your own words. Not to sound so flat, but there's your answer. A boss doesn't need to do any of the things you mention above, and some would argue that a good boss shouldn't get wrapped up in his subordinates personal lives. YMMV.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just don't understand it. I'm a supervisor. I have young guys and women working under me.

They want to hear "How am I doing and where are we going". This is of course according to the PhD that gave the seminar I attended. I tell them if they eff up...they will be the 2nd person to know it. Just get your butt to work and do your job. My feeling is if I don't have to come to them and discuss their work ethic...it's a good thing.

I don't come to work to pat them on the back or to wipe their butts. Unless you save my life...you're probably not getting an "atta boy". You get a paycheck instead. That should be thanks enough...IMO, of course.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Just keep your head down and stay off the radar until it either blows over or you find something new.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just don't understand it. I'm a supervisor. I have young guys and women working under me.

They want to hear "How am I doing and where are we going". This is of course according to the PhD that gave the seminar I attended. I tell them if they eff up...they will be the 2nd person to know it. Just get your butt to work and do your job. My feeling is if I don't have to come to them and discuss their work ethic...it's a good thing.

I don't come to work to pat them on the back or to wipe their butts. Unless you save my life...you're probably not getting an "atta boy". You get a paycheck instead. That should be thanks enough...IMO, of course.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Just keep your head down and stay off the radar until it either blows over or you find something new.

Maybe it's a good thing then that he never speaks with me?

Top Bottom