i think i scored a deal on reloading gear now i have to figure out how to use it!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I was talking to a buddy last week and told him I wanted to get into reloading and he told me he had a Dillon 550 he would trade.
    I traded him a Beretta 96g Vertec that I bought used for $250 and I hated the way it shot.
    I met him for the trade and was very happy when he gave me
    Dillon RL 550 press
    Mec 600 "JR" press
    Rcbs RCII press
    2 sets of 45acp dies
    38/357 dies
    44 special/ magnum dies
    22 Hornet dies
    3006 dies
    308 dies
    223 dies
    500 357 brass
    1000 45acp brass
    500 40 brass
    500 9mm brass
    500 223 brass
    200 3006 brass
    100 308 brass
    500 30 carbine brass
    200 22 hornet brass
    200 22 hornet bullets
    He called me yesterday and told me he forgot to bring the primers he has and will get them to me.
    I think I made a great trade but have no idea how to use all of this or what else ill need to pick up besides powder and bullets.
    I know I want a tumbler, scalen calipers and case trimmer along with some books and manuals but what else do I need to get started? Anyone near Lowell what to teach me the ropes?
    I think I will keep the 550 and maybe sell or trade the other 2 presses unless you think I have a need for all 3.
    I think I got a great deal but am so new to reloading that I'm not even sure how good of a deal I got!

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    You should probably keep the mec 600jr because it is a shotgun shell reloader not a rifle press. You will need a powder scale to start loading rifle or pistol ammunition if you don't already have one. I would suggest selling off some of the brass a dies if you don't own a gun to shoot the ammunition they make. Of course some of that stuff is good just to have around. Sounds like you did very well. The best way to learn about reloading is to have someone who knows how to do it actually come and show you or you could go and watch them do it.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    Powder and bullets(projectile) could be the hardest parts to acquire. I have not looked recently, but powder had a long back order on most websites, and was constantly Sold OUT at the stores. Projectile for certain rounds can also be a challenge. Like 9mm and .380, .40 etc. These components are becoming expensive due to the constant assault on our freedoms, much like the rationing of factory rounds. Good luck! If you don't get any takers on training, I am willing to help. I know enough to keep you safe and get some nice match rounds, if you take the time and get a few items. Also, there are reload mags you can get at Cabella's or other store that deals in Magazines. Here is a on line link as well http://www.handloads.org/

bigbird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    you will want to keep all 3 presses, the rcbs 2 will come in handy for a small run of rifle shells or to just size 223 or 308 , ect. most people tumble size then trim the neck. so the single press will come in handy for that as it will take a beating and never care. if you are into lots of guns keep it all, you will use it later. but that's just me

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Looks like a good haul. Get yourself a reloading book, Modern Reloading by Lee or ABC's of Reloading by Cheveleir (or something). As far as other equipment, get a powder scale, maybe a go/no go guage, and some of the bullets/powders etc and you should be good to go.

What do you plan on reloading?

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Thanks guys, I plan to mainly reload 223,308,40,45,9mm. I have around 10k rounds of the above alreay so I can take my time and learn before I need to reload. But I have guns in every caliber except 22 hornet and sense I can load it I will have to pick one up!
    I know powder,primers and bullets are very expensive now so ill just shop around for deals and am in no hurry.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    You got an awesome deal! Be safe and get with a bud who has reloaded before (the seller?) and learn on your own too before you crank out that first round.

I'm currently looking for a 550. had one years ago but sold it and all the stuff I had during a moment of weakness.:dunno: Something about babies and bills if I remember correctly.

Good luck and have fun!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you have the time, wait for this fall. IndyGunWorks should be doing another reloading class that will REALLY help you out. He currently uses the 550 so you should be able to go right home and follow his directions. The class was great, and well worth the travel.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I was talking to a buddy last week and told him I wanted to get into reloading and he told me he had a Dillon 550 he would trade.
    I traded him a Beretta 96g Vertec that I bought used for $250 and I hated the way it shot.
    I met him for the trade and was very happy when he gave me
    Dillon RL 550 press
    Mec 600 "JR" press
    Rcbs RCII press
    2 sets of 45acp dies
    38/357 dies
    44 special/ magnum dies
    22 Hornet dies
    3006 dies
    308 dies
    223 dies
    500 357 brass
    1000 45acp brass
    500 40 brass
    500 9mm brass
    500 223 brass
    200 3006 brass
    100 308 brass
    500 30 carbine brass
    200 22 hornet brass
    200 22 hornet bullets
    He called me yesterday and told me he forgot to bring the primers he has and will get them to me.
    I think I made a great trade but have no idea how to use all of this or what else ill need to pick up besides powder and bullets.
    I know I want a tumbler, scalen calipers and case trimmer along with some books and manuals but what else do I need to get started? Anyone near Lowell what to teach me the ropes?
    I think I will keep the 550 and maybe sell or trade the other 2 presses unless you think I have a need for all 3.
    I think I got a great deal but am so new to reloading that I'm not even sure how good of a deal I got!
    If you are a visual learner, watch a few youtube videos on reloading, as well. Most of the stuff at ammosmith.com is pretty good.

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    I think you got an excellent deal.
    It would cost you more than $250 to replace all that brass.
    Did the die sets come with toolheads for the 550?
    Also, did you get caliber conversion kits for each caliber?
    You might want to check out Dillons web site.
    Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Some of the things you will need,
    books and reloading manuals
    powder scale
    tumbler
    calipers and micrometer
    case trimmer
    case gages for the rifle rounds

If you need help sorting it out let me know.
    I'm in Crown Point.

Jeff

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Anyone near Lowell what to teach me the ropes?

First of all, I think you made out like a bandit! What a deal!

I just completed a Metallic Cartridge Reloading NRA class a week ago, but I am offering it, again, on Saturday, July 25. Two of the students in the last class were from Valparaiso and one from Indianapolis; so, I guess I wasn't too far away from them.

Bob Aldridge
    260-459-2382
    rbtaldridge@verizon.net

Top Bottom