• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, so avoiding a lot of back-story, I have a logitech 5.1 pc surround system currently connected to my tv that I really like. They are VERY good for the $60 I paid for them 8 years ago and I don't really want to invest in new ones right now, but I can if I have to...

Anyways, I bought a home theatre receiver, not to get surround sound, but just to add on FM capability to my system... I intentionally bought one with "zone 2 out" not fully understanding the limitations of that.

I thought that I could connect my current speakers to zone 2 out through rca cables and still use them.... except zone 2 out ONLY outputs am/fm radio (not sound from the tv) so I can't do that...

The only other output is the 6 individual channels for the 5.1 speakers...

Is there any possible way to keep using my existing speakers? Or do I have to get rid of them? The Logitechs have the orange, black, green 5.1 head-phone size inputs on them.

The only way I can imagine is to get a stereo head-phone extension cord, cut the male end off and connect it to the respective speaker connections and then plug in the jack. I would have to do 3 extension cables to do this.... and may have to play with them to figure out what needs connected to what...

I know, I know, just buy the stupid speakers...

Except all the reviews for "budget" speakers online say, "These speakers suck, get xyz brand, they are much better"

Except those reviews always refer you to a $400-1200 set of speakers...

I found these: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT6...1347580010&sr=1-9&keywords=5.1+speaker+system

I'm tempted to get them, but there are quite literally only 3-5 online reviews of them combined. Either nobody buys these speakers, or nobody reviews them for some reason. :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

They are on the upper end of my budget, and I would buy them if they had a few more reviews... but I'm just not sure...

Any other non-audio-philes have advice? It seems audiophiles always have the same opinion that anything lower in budget is garbage. Well, sure it's garbage compared to an item that is 10 times the price, but relatively speaking, are they that bad?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Get a set of sony book shelves for like 50 bucks at HH Gregg (ok they may not have them anymore, but as long as you don't crank it all the way they are not bad... or go to a pawn shop. I got 5 speakers and a blown receiver for 30 bucks..

I never have figured out how to get my zone 2 to work and was under the impression it would play which ever source you wanted it to play. Never needed to use that feature though so I haven't played with it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Get a set of sony book shelves for like 50 bucks at HH Gregg (ok they may not have them anymore, but as long as you don't crank it all the way they are not bad... or go to a pawn shop. I got 5 speakers and a blown receiver for 30 bucks..

I never have figured out how to get my zone 2 to work and was under the impression it would play which ever source you wanted it to play. Never needed to use that feature though so I haven't played with it.
    I think zone 2 is more for "whole house radio" type of uses. My zone 2 can be used even when the receiver is turned off, the zone 2 is turned on/off independent of the other workings of the receiver... I was under the impression I could use my zone 2 out to play sound from the tv but I tried it and didn't have much luck...

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What model number is the receiver and the Logitech speaker set? I'd like to look up specs on them.

How is the TV connected to the receiver? If it's through a digital connection (HDMI or Toslink Optical), then it may not output on Zone 2 due to copy protection stuff.

Can the receiver be returned and a different home theater in a box system be purchased? Something that includes a receiver and speakers... What would that make your budget be?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR414 purchase from amazon so I'd like to avoid returning it if I can... Logitech speakers are X-530 PC 5.1 surround system. I would like to have this done/working by sunday night when my wife returns from her business trip.... this is technically a very late birthday present for her so I think it would be a great surprise to have it all working... I plan to go run some errands tomorrow I will check into pawn shops etc for some cheap speakers...

Otherwise, I'll just have to see what I can make happen.... hopefully I don't make any sparks happen. :D

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Wellll.... I think you would have done better to buy one of those home theater in a box systems considering the cost of that receiver. That receiver is pretty nice compared to the speakers. Took a quick glance at the speaker setup and you'll be in for some fun to connect things. Hope you don't ruin too much :)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR414 purchase from amazon so I'd like to avoid returning it if I can... Logitech speakers are X-530 PC 5.1 surround system. I would like to have this done/working by sunday night when my wife returns from her business trip.... this is technically a very late birthday present for her so I think it would be a great surprise to have it all working... I plan to go run some errands tomorrow I will check into pawn shops etc for some cheap speakers...

Otherwise, I'll just have to see what I can make happen.... hopefully I don't make any sparks happen. :D
    You're going to have a hard time getting what you want. How/what did you have the speakers plugged into before the new receiver? To do what you want, you'd need the receiver to have a set of pre-outputs like this one. Look at the photo of the back of that unit and you'll see the outputs highlighted in white. You could plug your logitech speakers into those outputs but you don't get those outputs on the less expensive receivers. Your other issue is that you won't get 5.1 sound from that output because it is only outputting two channels instead of the requisite 6 for 5.1 surround sound. You really need a set of speakers to go with the receiver. If you were really brave, you could hack the connectors off the satellite speakers and connect them directly to the receiver. Then you would plug the sub into the subwoofer pre-out. The caveat is don't turn the volume up too much or you won't be simply wanting new speakers. ;)

Disclaimer, I am not responsible for anything that might happen if you do the above. :D

Another add, once you can afford some nicer speakers, you'll be much happier with that unit than you would have with a HTIB. A good av receiver will make even lower quality speakers sound good. With an HTIB once you outgrow it, you have to replace everything. At least this way you'll be setup to interchange.

Last edited:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Although I agree with the others, we might still be able to cheat. How is the TV hooked up to the stereo right now? and What are you trying to get surround sound out of (Blu-ray? Cable box?)?

The problem to me is the Logitech isn't really surround sound without a computer. They'll put sound out through all the speakers, but its the same sound. You'll be much better off letting the Onkyo decipher the signals and parsing it out to each individual speake.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Although I agree with the others, we might still be able to cheat. How is the TV hooked up to the stereo right now? and What are you trying to get surround sound out of (Blu-ray? Cable box?)?

The problem to me is the Logitech isn't really surround sound without a computer. They'll put sound out through all the speakers, but its the same sound. You'll be much better off letting the Onkyo decipher the signals and parsing it out to each individual speake.
    I don't particularly need or want the surround sound myself, simple stereo is ok for now. That is how the speakers are currently connects. RCA cables into RCA -> PC 5.1 adapter that is included with the logitec system.

I thought the receiver would have a similar RCA output that I could hook the RCA connectors to (I assumed that's what the zone 2 was) but I guess it doesn't work that way.

So I was hoping to "back-door" my way into getting the sound from the tv (99% of what we watch comes directly from the tv, no external sources) into the receiver and then using the 5.1 +/- speaker hookups to get the signal into the logitec system.

Is that not recommended due to blowing the speakers? I tested those to their limit in college and they're pretty danged good. And we don't really "crank it" up normally either.

Really, this all started when my wife said "I want a better radio, one that I can get a good signal on".... knowing that my attic mounted TV antenna/booster also works for FM, I started looking for something that had external co-ax antenna input for FM radio. We're somewhat sandwiched between 2 hills and don't get good reception except with the attic mounted antenna which pulls TV from Indy, Terre Haute, & Louisville. So I was certain it would pull FM radio signal in pretty well too. Anyways, moving on, a simple stereo with the co-ax antenna input feature cost nearly as much at this receiver so I decided that I may as well just go ahead and get a receiver for now with the thought of upgrading speakers down the road when the budget would allow more money to be spent. But since it won't work that way, now I'm looking for a cheap way to get it to work for now, or recommendations on some cheap speakers to go with the receiver.

I found the "Monoprice" speakers that sell for $84, but they're on backorder until October, and the yamaha speakers for just over $100 on amazon has some poor reviews... this Onkyo system I linked to in my OP has decent reviews (center channel is a bit underpowered but otherwise decent system) and it retailed for $400 when it first hit the market; onkyo quickly dropped the price to $300, then $249, then $219, then $199, then the current $179 price because it wasn't competing very well with other systems. So knowing that, I've been tempted to buy the Onkyo set and see how they work, but I'm not sure about them because there are so few reviews out there...

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I couldn't tell you about those speakers specifically, but it's rare that I'm dissapointed by Onkyo. I bought my father this setup and it's pretty darn good: FRYS.com | ONKYO
    I didn't see a breakout of the receiver and speaker model #s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently went from a mid 90's analog surround (Yamaha) to one of Yamaha's in the box complete digital outfits. The analog system had Paradym towers, center and rears with a powered sub. The digital is totally Yamaha. It was not that expensive and is amazing.
    The analog rocked harder as to music but the digital surround is almost magic.
    Get a matched system.....you will not be disappointed.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I couldn't tell you about those speakers specifically, but it's rare that I'm dissapointed by Onkyo. I bought my father this setup and it's pretty darn good: FRYS.com*|*ONKYO
    I didn't see a breakout of the receiver and speaker model #s.
    Does that have AM/FM stereo too? If so, that system almost seems as good or better for my needs than the receiver I bought... for a few more dollars I can have the speakers with it...

ETA, nevermind, it's $500 on amazon and Fry's says unavailable at that price....

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These would be my speaker recommendation. I have a slightly upgraded version of those that I purchased back in 2006 and they sound great. You'll have spent more than a typical HTIB, but IMO you'll have a far superior system.

The problem you have is that the logitech system uses an amplifier in the subwoofer to power all the satellites and the sub. That amp needs a low power pre-out/pre-amp signal to work. The signal coming from the + and - on your new receiver is already amplified. It is intended to drive speakers directly and not be fed into another amplifier. That's why I suggested cutting/splicing earlier. Those speakers will be quickly and easily overpowered by your new receiver though. Those speakers are getting ~7 watts of RMS power from the logitech amp. Your new receiver is capable of 80 watts. It wouldn't take much to destroy the logitechs if you run them directly from the new receiver. I know because I did the same thing for a while. I had a set of 25 watt computer speakers and powered them with my receiver directly. My receiver, a 10 year old Onkyo, is capable of 100 watts per channel. They lasted until I finally moved into my house and could turn the system up. :) Then I bought my polks and have been completely satisfied.

Home theater is another of my passions.

Temporarily to get things going, your best bet is probably to get sound from your TV to your speakers as you have in the past. You can get an RCA switchbox or just simply Y cables to connect to your receiver for am/fm until you make a decision on how to go from here.

Last edited:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    The Logitech speakers have an amplifier built into them. You could get a few RCA to 1/8" adapters but you'd be amplifying an already amplified signal. The subwoofer output won't be amplified, but that doesn't help your situation.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    These would be my speaker recommendation. I have a slightly upgraded version of those that I purchased back in 2006 and they sound great. You'll have spent more than a typical HTIB, but IMO you'll have a far superior system.

The problem you have is that the logitech system uses an amplifier in the subwoofer to power all the satellites and the sub. That amp needs a low power pre-out/pre-amp signal to work. The signal coming from the + and - on your new receiver is already amplified. It is intended to drive speakers directly and not be fed into another amplifier. That's why I suggested cutting/splicing earlier. Those speakers will be quickly and easily overpowered by your new receiver though. Those speakers are getting ~7 watts of RMS power from the logitech amp. Your new receiver is capable of 80 watts. It wouldn't take much to destroy the logitechs if you run them directly from the new receiver. I know because I did the same thing for a while. I had a set of 25 watt computer speakers and powered them with my receiver directly. My receiver, a 10 year old Onkyo, is capable of 100 watts per channel. They lasted until I finally moved into my house and could turn the system up. :) Then I bought my polks and have been completely satisfied.

Home theater is another of my passions.

Temporarily to get things going, your best bet is probably to get sound from your TV to your speakers as you have in the past. You can get an RCA switchbox or just simply Y cables to connect to your receiver for am/fm until you make a decision on how to go from here.
    Lol, great, just add in another decision for me to make... those look like pretty good speakers... if it was free shipping like the Onkyo ones it would be a very simple decision, but with the current $24 shipping that means it's $44 over the Onkyo ones... I could play the, "just another $50 and I can get this set that is even better yet" game all day long ... I just don't know where to stop playing that game ...

let me put it this way, I think my logitec speakers are good speakers... so given that my receiver can put out over 10 times the power, do I need top quality? No, I would probably be happy with bottom of the barrel, but then I would be short-changing myself on the receiver I bought... so I have to find a happy medium...

Gosh my wife sure better LOVE this when she gets home... otherwise I'm going to be rather disappointed...

I really wish we had a fry's down this way... the clowns at Best Buy in Bloomington didn't know anything when I asked them about systems... so I just went ahead and walked out of the store... to be honest after this fiasco I've gone through trying to figure it all out, I could probably go back and school them a little bit...

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lol, great, just add in another decision for me to make... those look like pretty good speakers... if it was free shipping like the Onkyo ones it would be a very simple decision, but with the current $24 shipping that means it's $44 over the Onkyo ones... I could play the, "just another $50 and I can get this set that is even better yet" game all day long ... I just don't know where to stop playing that game ...

let me put it this way, I think my logitec speakers are good speakers... so given that my receiver can put out over 10 times the power, do I need top quality? No, I would probably be happy with bottom of the barrel, but then I would be short-changing myself on the receiver I bought... so I have to find a happy medium...

Gosh my wife sure better LOVE this when she gets home... otherwise I'm going to be rather disappointed...

I really wish we had a fry's down this way... the clowns at Best Buy in Bloomington didn't know anything when I asked them about systems... so I just went ahead and walked out of the store... to be honest after this fiasco I've gone through trying to figure it all out, I could probably go back and school them a little bit...
    I understand about the just another $xxx, I run into that all the time. Just keep in mind that speaker quality is about far more than simply how much power they'll handle.

Just make sure you have some nice sci-fi or action movie to show off the new setup when the wify gets home. :D

Your experience with best buy is typical of all big box stores. They are simply there to stock shelves. Occasionally you'll get someone who actually cares, but most are just there to collect a paycheck. www.avsforum.com has far more knowledge than anyone could ever need. It's where I go for audio video information.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for all the help guys... I struck out at 2 pawnshops and 3 thrift stores today for speakers. Found a nice set of older Pioneer stereo speakers at a thriftstore marked with a VERY reasoable price, then I saw the tag that said, "Sold, hold for Steve" :(

I guess I'll just hook the speakers up to the Zone 2 out for when she gets home and get the initial "impress her" phase out of the way then I'll tell her it's too good to be true but I'm going to fix it... lol...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I went garage sale shopping one year, spent $110 with a 2.1 system with sub that will wake the neighborhood. (I have a funny story if anybody is interested)

Top Bottom