I struck gold. What's it worth? Where do I sell it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I found a plain white gold wedding band marked 14k. It's a 5mm domed band weighing 3.5 grams.

I'm pretty friggin allergic to wedding bands. Whats it worth and where's the best place to sell it?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's gold and the price of gold is going to continue to go up. Hold onto it for a while. It doesn't go bad. You might also look in the lost and founds in your local paper, someone might want it back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's gold and the price of gold is going to continue to go up. Hold onto it for a while. It doesn't go bad. You might also look in the lost and founds in your local paper, someone might want it back.

Good ideas.
    My first thought was to "turn it in," then thought better of handing it over to just any opportunist.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    My thoughts exactly! Maybe if I don't unload it soon, I'll "accidentally" drop it in your range bag Friday.:):

Rut-ro. Nothing good is coming from this! :nono:

Maybe the gold could be melted into a cast mold and turned into a hollow-point. What an outstanding thing to have on the bench.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do not try the cash for gold schemes. Those are all scams and they will low ball you unmercifully. If you're truly going to sell it, (I'd hang onto it as an investment) then go to a jeweler. They'll give you a better price, but not top dollar. That price is reserved for coinage and ingots.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You could call your local Police Department and ask them what the process is. In many places you turn it in with a complete description of when and where you found it. If no one claims it after a certain period of time. It's yours.

That's the right thing to do and your conscience will be clear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You could try those cash for gold sites?

Possibly. That's why I posted here, asking advice of my friends, the people I can trust. As opposed to somewhere that I might run into sleazy traders who would assume that I'm too stupid to do even a brief Google search.:D

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    What you have would commonly be referred to as "scrap gold". Here is a link:
    How to Calculate the Value of Scrap Gold - wikiHow
    If you calculate the value of your gold using today's spot price of $950, you would have an estimated value of $62.36. Now with that being said the person you sell it too needs to make money also, so if you get 50% of the above figure then you are money ahead on a found item. Or take your time and run around to dealers and pawn shops and see what they will offer.
    Me.....I would just turn it in and be done with it. The value of the ring is nowhere near the cost of possibly losing your respect for yourself:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, you found a plain gold ring that someone just happened to drop? Where have I heard this story before? I seem to recall it having some trouble associated with it...

23t0cb6.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Top Bottom