• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I bought an SKS last week from a friend. He only wanted $100 for it and I couldn't say no to that. I thought it was going to be beat to crap and that would be why it was so cheap. Boy was I wrong. It's been in climate controlled storage for the past 15 years or so. Only had about 50 rounds through it. So I recently did some research on it and it's a Norinco Paratrooper model. I've put about 30 rounds down it and it shoots really nice. I think I might enjoy it more than the M-16/M-4. And since this is worth less with out pictures!

SKS1.jpg

SKS2.jpg

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    :+1: on your great deal. Congratulations. The SKS is a really great rifle, powerful, and fun to shoot as well. You did good getting it for $100.

I'll give you $110 for it if you decide to sell it for a profit...:D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Nice find! I've been thinking about getting an SKS, but don't expect to get that good of a deal. :yesway:

Let us know if your friend has any more clearance sales. :D

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I feel like I should tell him how cheap he sold it to me. I don't think he knew how much it was worth. He said he payed $100 15 years ago and just wanted his money back out of it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You got a good deal, but not really a fantastic one.

Not sure about the paratrooper model, but I have a longer model (Norinco) with the triangular bayonet that I won at a FNRA Banquet about 5-6 years ago. I was told then that it was worth all of about $130 and was in about the same shape as yours.

Unless the paratrooper model is THAT much more desirable, I can't see yours going for much more than $200.

Still, that means you got yours for about half-price.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I feel like I should tell him how cheap he sold it to me. I don't think he knew how much it was worth. He said he payed $100 15 years ago and just wanted his money back out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell him you enjoy it and thank him with a beer/dinner.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

Not sure about the paratrooper model, but I have a longer model (Norinco) with the triangular bayonet that I won at a FNRA Banquet about 5-6 years ago. I was told then that it was worth all of about $130 and was in about the same shape as yours.

Unless the paratrooper model is THAT much more desirable, I can't see yours going for much more than $200.

Still, that means you got yours for about half-price.

They are worth considerably more than that now.... even the standard models like yours.

Congrats on the paratrooper !!! I remember when they sold for about $79- $139 new.... years ago. So that was very good price.

The SKSs are very good shooters and more accurate than the AKs.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I remember when you could buy them by the crate for 69.00 per rifle. We use to use them as truck guns....gets busted up and we didnt care.

I still think they are worth 70.00 per gun.:dunno:

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount

You're stuck in the 90's. :D Guns of that quality regularly sell for 300-350.

Awesome steal on that, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious.

I second the call for a good set of peep sights, improves the usability 100%. Specially if you plan on keeping it stock.

BUT, if you do plan on bubba'ing it, please for the love of Buddah, keep the original wood!

Check out Survivors SKS Boards for mountains of info and discussion on the sks.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I'm 100% sticking with the original wood. I've done the whole black rifle bit with the military. I like the look and feel of real wood. In my opinion it's much easier to keep clean too. I'm thinking about optics/sights. I like the function of iron sights as that's what I"m used to.

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    I bought an SKS last week from a friend. He only wanted $100 for it and I couldn't say no to that. I thought it was going to be beat to crap and that would be why it was so cheap. Boy was I wrong. It's been in climate controlled storage for the past 15 years or so. Only had about 50 rounds through it. So I recently did some research on it and it's a Norinco Paratrooper model. I've put about 30 rounds down it and it shoots really nice. I think I might enjoy it more than the M-16/M-4.
    I hate you. :)::D:):

Seriously though, gratz on the awesome deal. :)

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm 100% sticking with the original wood. I've done the whole black rifle bit with the military. I like the look and feel of real wood. In my opinion it's much easier to keep clean too.
    Good call. That is way too pretty a rifle to be monkeying with it.

EDIT: I promise to make better use of the multi-quote button in the future. ;)

Top Bottom