• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The ARMY, SHOULD have been USARMY, do not know, but I believe it is AGAINST all Rules and Regulation, for a Soldier to wear the uniform at a part time job..... Not being in Correct Uniform, is also against Regs. I Ret. 8 years ago, so things might have changed .....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The only way I would think it would be legit is if he completed the delivery for the delivery boy for some reason or another. I was with my brother while in BDUs and he said he needed to change before we went to do something because they are for when you are "on duty" not when you just need to make a trip to Walmart or want to go out to eat. It would be different if it was on your way home etc. But he felt the need to change. Anyhow, I would also call the delivery people just to ask out of curiosity. Seems like stolen valor is becoming all too common these days. I don't get it.

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    my son is in the navy (has been for nearly 12 years) when I go visit him theres all kind of bdu's being worn in the local wally world and the px and in the fast food joints

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I missed that in the OP. 3 chevrons is a sergeant. ROTC cadets do have rank insignia, but its dots, not chevrons.

Not always, at least not way back when. I was in ROTC for a while before I decided that being enlisted in the NG was enough for me. Way back then, the cadet officers, MS4s (last year of ROTC) wore "pips" (dots) and diamonds for rank. One pip for Cadet 2d Lt, 2 for Cadet 1st Lt, 3 for Cadet Cpt., one diamond for Cadet Major and 2 for Cadet Lt. Col. MS3s were generally Cadet non-coms from Cadet Sergeant to Cadet Sergeant Major, but the chevrons and rockers were straight, not curved, and on class A's were pinned on the shoulders where officer's rank would be. The MS1s and MS2s were usually Cadet Privates, up to Cadet Corporal if, as an MS2 you were a squad leader.

Within your given year (MS1 to MS4) you would usually rotate through the leadership positions with some exceptions, where I was, the Cadet Battalion Commander was always the Cadet Battallion Commander, same for the Cadet Battalion XO.

That was within the ROTC battalion, if any served in local NG or Reserve units (which MS3 and MS4 cadets could do at the pay rate of an E-5), then they would where one pip when serving in that unit and they usually played shadow to a platoon leader, or even led a platoon themselves if deemed competent enough. People who were already enlisted and had their own uniforms (like me) usually just wore those at ROTC and everyone just had to remember what role they were filling. In our normal units, we just filled the role that we normally would.

...at least that was how it was done where I was, many, many......many moons ago.

In your case and in your area- I suspect a JROTC as I see them all over the place...with a uniform that never looks quite right and usually seem to wear rank similar to ROTC...and worn in situations where it probably should not be. Some of the JROTC people have fruit salad that would put a South American dictator to shame.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You'd never catch a Marine out in town in his cammies against the uniform regulations. I hate going some where and seeing the Army just bouncing around in their BDU's. These are work uniforms. You want to wear a uniform wear whatever the equivalent of what our charlies are.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not always, at least not way back when. I was in ROTC for a while before I decided that being enlisted in the NG was enough for me. Way back then, the cadet officers, MS4s (last year of ROTC) wore "pips" (dots) and diamonds for rank. One pip for Cadet 2d Lt, 2 for Cadet 1st Lt, 3 for Cadet Cpt., one diamond for Cadet Major and 2 for Cadet Lt. Col. MS3s were generally Cadet non-coms from Cadet Sergeant to Cadet Sergeant Major, but the chevrons and rockers were straight, not curved, and on class A's were pinned on the shoulders where officer's rank would be. The MS1s and MS2s were usually Cadet Privates, up to Cadet Corporal if, as an MS2 you were a squad leader.

Within your given year (MS1 to MS4) you would usually rotate through the leadership positions with some exceptions, where I was, the Cadet Battalion Commander was always the Cadet Battallion Commander, same for the Cadet Battalion XO.

That was within the ROTC battalion, if any served in local NG or Reserve units (which MS3 and MS4 cadets could do at the pay rate of an E-5), then they would where one pip when serving in that unit and they usually played shadow to a platoon leader, or even led a platoon themselves if deemed competent enough. People who were already enlisted and had their own uniforms (like me) usually just wore those at ROTC and everyone just had to remember what role they were filling. In our normal units, we just filled the role that we normally would.

...at least that was how it was done where I was, many, many......many moons ago.

In your case and in your area- I suspect a JROTC as I see them all over the place...with a uniform that never looks quite right and usually seem to wear rank similar to ROTC...and worn in situations where it probably should not be. Some of the JROTC people have fruit salad that would put a South American dictator to shame.

That's more than I knew. My experience with ROTC cadets was when they showed up to "intern" in our unit at Ft. Riley occasionally. They wore 2 dots, one on top of the other, IIRC.

Looking at Google, it looks like they are side by side. Either it changed, or my memory is jacked.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I live about 4 miles from the ANG Base and see members in uniform all the time. Early morning, lunch time and shift change at the base. I spoke with a friend that works on the base. Uniform is OK going, comming and lunch time. Its a no no the rest of the time. My bet is a poser, trooling for a larger Tip. Call the restaurant and inquire.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Also, if he had a unit patch on his right shoulder (not just a flag) then that signifies the unit that he served with in a combat zone. the patch on the left shoulder would be the unit he is currently with. Sometimes the two patches are the same, most of the time they are not.

Did he have a hat on? If he did not, then he wasn't even doing a good job stealing the valor.

Regardless, there is no circumstance where he should be wearing bdu's while making a delivery. NONE.

I would call the place you ordered from and let them know you don't appreciate the additional solicitation. Or you can give me the phone number to the place and I will call for you that way I can explain why its bull****.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't know what to tell you about this guy in regards to if he was or was not military. However, what is wrong or weirdo about a guy that says yes sir and no sir and is professional? I don't see weirdo in that story. I will not judge if he is military or not.

If he is not military or ROTC or something then he may have some problems but I would think that his store manager would deal with that. But until we know different he is not a weirdo in my book from your description.
    Agreed. I like that he was polite. I use sir and ma'am all the time, even with my direct reports, and it serves me well. Good manners are always welcome.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    You'd never catch a Marine out in town in his cammies against the uniform regulations. I hate going some where and seeing the Army just bouncing around in their BDU's. These are work uniforms. You want to wear a uniform wear whatever the equivalent of what our charlies are.

Yup! Fatigues (I'm dating myself) are for on base, work details, etc. Off base meant khakis or dress greens. This was back in the late 60s, so uniform codes may have changed since then.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    IDK, personally it sounds like stolen valor and goading for a larger tip to me. One of my good friends was in the Army and when he came back in his BDU's he had a hat on. He also took the time to change out of them shortly after arriving. He explained that changing was part of the rules and regs for wearing them, as they are to be worn under certain conditions only. Delivery of food, part time job, etc. Was not one of the appropriate times for wearing them. Also I believe his patch did say USARMY instead of ARMY.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    That has an easy reply-------when the potus declares martial law---you wont be so shocked at seeing a uniform at your door

tallend

Top Bottom