• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    How about pushing him down on the bed and telling him that all this gun talk is getting you hot and bothered and nothing turns you on more than a man packing heat! That'll get him motivated! ;)

All comedic value aside, I don't want to be manipulative. It's a decision he has to make for himself...I just don't want it to hit the back burner and be forgotten. I really want a way to keep the subject open, without being pushy or belaboring the topic. I'm just not finding a good way to do that without seeming like I'm harping on it...which I definitely do not want to do.

woodchuck4950

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Danville, IN
    All comedic value aside, I don't want to be manipulative. It's a decision he has to make for himself...I just don't want it to hit the back burner and be forgotten. I really want a way to keep the subject open, without being pushy or belaboring the topic. I'm just not finding a good way to do that without seeming like I'm harping on it...which I definitely do not want to do.

Thanks for recognizing the attempted humor, but you make a great point. I am in a similar situation with my wife and your right ... being pushy is not the correct approach, particularly concerning a decision as important as to purchase/carry/use a handgun. I am working up to that myself. I have recently purchased a 9mm BHP and and spending time at the range, but am not ready to carry as I still need to work on developing the appropriate mindset and skill level. Only then will I carry ... with pride!

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Annie let me start by saying that having met you and talked a bit I know how bright and level headed a gal you are, and I applaud you for trying to avoid manipulation. I believe the "stop by the gun shop because I need something" is somewhat manipulative, but if that would be a typical occurrence once in a while then sure, take advantage of it.

I guess since I don't know your spousal unit it is hard to tell what may have been going thru his head up until now. Could it be that he is a big strong guy who has always "taken care of himself" and now has second thoughts? Has he had a moral or religious objection to the possibility of taking life? Does he just see a gun as "cheating" for a man, who should "fight fair"? Does he have any underlying fears regarding firearms or bad past experiences? Was he in a home without guns as a child and doesn't have much familiarity? Has he just never thought it would be neccesary to have a gun because in general he feels safe around your neighborhood?

As you know I am not a big guy, but never was one to surrender if there wasn't an option to avoid confrontation. My typical response would be, "hey I've had my a$$ kicked buy bigger guys than you, so go for it", which obviously didn't always have the desired outcome! About 27 years ago I did quit carrying for about 6-9 months as I was struggling with the issue of whether God would be OK with my taking another's life, even in the most strict self defense situaiton. I worked thru it in my head and I have been at peace with my choices ever since. Of course that is easy to do since I haven't had an incident that put me in a postiion to deal with the aftermath.

Rambling now so I will see how you respond before running off at the mouth any more.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Annie let me start by saying that having met you and talked a bit I know how bright and level headed a gal you are, and I applaud you for trying to avoid manipulation.
    Thank you. And thank you.

Could it be that he is a big strong guy who has always "taken care of himself" and now has second thoughts?
    Nope.

Has he had a moral or religious objection to the possibility of taking life? Does he just see a gun as "cheating" for a man, who should "fight fair"?
    Nope, and nope.

Does he have any underlying fears regarding firearms or bad past experiences?
    Not at all.

Was he in a home without guns as a child and doesn't have much familiarity?
    He wasn't raised around them, but did by that Marlin when he was a teen. I think he even had to have his mom sign something saying it was OK for him to buy it. I'm not sure how much plinking or hunting he ever did though. My money is on "not so much of either".

Has he just never thought it would be neccesary to have a gun because in general he feels safe around your neighborhood?
    No, he knows bad stuff can happen anywhere. In fact, the few times in the past that I ran out the door in a rush without carrying, he fussed at me for not taking my firearm.

Rambling now so I will see how you respond before running off at the mouth any more.
    That about sums up the situation ^.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Well Annie must be he wants to support you and shooting together can be great fun! Hopefully he will continue down the path!

I must say, the only reason I didn't buy wftd661's Kimber was money! I know when I taught my daughter in law she ended up liking my Pro Carry better than all the other things I had her try. Two of our sons like it best too, even though they have/use something else. I guess that's why all us smart people are 1911 fans!

Best of luck as you two embark on a new chapter!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Show him this shamless plug,

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/68585-kimber_pro-carry_pre-series_ii.html

I decided I wasn't going to try to sell it, but if he is like you, he might be interested.

Well Annie must be he wants to support you and shooting together can be great fun! Hopefully he will continue down the path!

I must say, the only reason I didn't buy wftd661's Kimber was money! I know when I taught my daughter in law she ended up liking my Pro Carry better than all the other things I had her try. Two of our sons like it best too, even though they have/use something else. I guess that's why all us smart people are 1911 fans!

Best of luck as you two embark on a new chapter!
    Thanks peeps.
    I'm just guessing, but I think he'll likely end up with a 1911 for a couple reasons. One: he likes mine. Two: ammo compatibility.

Wtfd, that is a beautiful piece... and as stated, if it wasn't for the money, I'd be pming you post haste.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you manage to encourage him to actually acquire a pistola, I recommend that you steer him toward something that he could possiby enjoy shooting some day if he chooses. That means avoid little 5-shot .38s and other pocket guns, because they hurt when you shoot them. If he's that much of a noob, I think he's most likely to enjoy a .22 target pistol like a Ruger or something similar. They won't break the bank and they are cheap to feed. A .22 pistol is probably less intimidating than a centerfire gun for a lot of reasons as well; it seems more like a piece of sporting gear than it does a "weapon." Most importantly, they are pleasurable to shoot. If it's likely to be one and only one pistol indefinitely and it might be pressed into service for defensive use, then a Glock 17 is a good choice. They're simple, reliable, not painful to shoot, and very useful tools.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think he's most likely to enjoy a .22 target pistol

Few years back, I bought him a Smith & Wesson 22A for his birthday to entice him to come plinking with me. He's probably shot it a half dozen or so times.
    It's not that he's a noob...in fact, he's got the expert marksman ribbons from a couple different years quite some time back...he just usually has ZERO interest.
    When/if he goes to the range with me, he's more likely to shoot his camera than any pistol or rifle.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    There are about five or six pages of things you should do to get a women interested in anything with out getting in trouble!! there is one thing you need to know if you are a women and want to get a man to do something he might not want to do, here it is for those of you that may not know it

1. Show up naked!!

There you have it!! Hope this helps. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm . . . maybe he needs a transdermal testosterone patch and a few mandatory hours of watching Outdoor Channel on Wednesday nights? :D

Few years back, I bought him a Smith & Wesson 22A for his birthday to entice him to come plinking with me. He's probably shot it a half dozen or so times.
    It's not that he's a noob...in fact, he's got the expert marksman ribbons from a couple different years quite some time back...he just usually has ZERO interest.
    When/if he goes to the range with me, he's more likely to shoot his camera than any pistol or rifle.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Well, you missed the golden moment by not acting incredibly aroused at the idea and ravishing him immediately (since you were already in the bedroom.) ;)

:+1: and repped.

In case none of the married females on this forum have figured it out yet, the simplest and absolute best way to convince a man do do *anything* is to make the blood that is in his brain regroup and congregate in a lower region. This leaves us unable to think rationally. Since liquid seeks its own level and naturally seeks the lowest point, having a bunch of blood in our brains is un-natural. Instinctively, we know this, and will do (or agree to) almost anything to keep the blood in our bodies circulating in our abdominal areas.

Top Bottom