I need some advice, might have to give up ALL of my guns.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You better check the law in both states. You cant shoot at a range like Deb's being a Ill.resident without having an Ill. firearms card , and living in ill and owning firearms that reside in IN.would probably be unlawfull.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's a thought: Find the sorriest, worst little rat shack for the cheapest possible rent within the city limits. (Don't worry, the only time you'll be there is to actually sign the papers to rent it.) List that as your residence and forward your mail from there to somewhere in free America. Officially, you're living in Illinois. Actually, you're living in Indiana. With your guns.

If this is not a feasible solution for you, then yes, leave your guns with your parents and move into Stalinois.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I HIGHLY suggest you cheaply sell your unneeded guns to ingo members who have a hard time affording guns, use all of their guns every chance they get and take good care of the guns they have.

Some of us don't have safe queens and really use the guns we own. You could let your misfortune help someone else, then it might seem less unfortunate.

Just an idea...

ianreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Williamsport
    i say hold off for a while. if later on you dont have a chance to use them as much or need the money then yea do what you have to do, but once you sell them they are gone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    You better check the law in both states. You cant shoot at a range like Deb's being a Ill.resident without having an Ill. firearms card , and living in ill and owning firearms that reside in IN.would probably be unlawfull.

Do they check your LTCH at Deb's? Last time my father and I shot there, they never asked to see it. :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Wouldn't have taken the job. I refuse to move out of America, while it still exists. For any amount of money.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Wow! Chicago is strange!
    I may be in a similar situation. I'm interviewing for a job in The People's Rebublic of Massachusetts (to be near my son!).
    More money , etc.
    I have done some research and called local shops there. They have their own AWB still. HOWEVER, I can legally bring into the state anything I have legally purchased in the state I'm moving from.AND I DO NOT have to register them. I then have to apply for a Class A license which make me exempt from the stae's AWB. Of course the local police chiefs have say in any restrictions. Lucky me the chief in the city I'm moving to has a "good chief" according to the local gun shop there. Of course a Class A is the only was to legally CC in PRM. Now I could not ever sell one of my "banned items" and would have to report any sales of "approved" items through an FFL including long guns. And of course any new purchases in the state would have to be registered.
    Of course I'd have to always have my license on me as I'd be questioned by having any "banned " items. Although their ban applies to new sales NOT possession. Now next door in Conn. you cannot import anything hi-cap.
    If the job works out I'd plan to move to NH after he graduates. "Live Free or Die" and all.

Good luck to the OP tough spot. I would have never thought that Illinois would be more restrictive than Mass.

Last edited:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Needing and seeking employment is a pretty basic requirement, I'm suspect the OP exhausted all local efforts before considering Chicago.

On the guns, I would store them with your Dad or other relative in Indiana.
    Serial numbers and photo's stored at seperate site
    Locked and cabled together, then placed in a secured gun safe out of normal site.
    It's not like your moving forever, you will surely still come home to visit.
    You may not like the job or you may get transfered.
    Who knows what the future may bring.

Make lot's of money so you can share the wealth!!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    This has been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least. I need some advice on the matter of moving back to Chicago. Yea i know bye bye guns and any type of simple freedom. I was offered a job in chicago that requires residency in the city limits. The job part was a no brainer, I accepted it. The other side is what do I do with my guns? Can I keep them in a storage locker and whenever I feel like going to the range, just go? My parents reside in munster and I am currently living in whiting, Can I keep them there and still be able to go to a gun range legally? The other thing is if im not carrying anymore, I really don't see the need for all the carry guns I have impulsively bought over the last couple of months. My new focus is hand to hand and knife training. What do I do?

Keep your old job. Why move into communist held territory for a few dollars more on the hour. Really... Or, another thought; why put your family, if you have one, in that kind of setting, atmosphere and danger?

Some decisions are best made in the safety, security and peace of mind of the individual; NOT based on income.
    :hijack: is over now.

Buy a safe; and, set it up in your parents home or in a storage unit. Don't sell them. They will be worth more money ten years from now, after you have kept them than they are worth now. They'll be worth something when the $$$ you thought you would enjoy from your new job are long gone.

AND, 5 years from now you may be back in Indiana, wishing you had kept them. You don't have to feed them, just oil them up and put them into a new safe and store them. It'll be worth it in the end.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    City jobs are the absolute worst ever. Remember you will be doing the work of the three other "ghost or no work" political scum er.. chums of the Daley get rich quick um re-election comittee.

The FOID card is painless to get in most of the state but Chicago has its own bs rules and hoops. Me personally I would sell and rent at the ranges before I paid storage for more than a month. Figure that storage is like making payments on guns you already own. How long before that adds up to the replacement cost. Pretty fast I would think.

Totally disarming would not be my first choice. I would have to consider keeping my home protection tools in my home far from prying eyes of everyone and chance a jail term instead of a coffin fitting for my family or myself. The odds of actually needing to have and use a gun are slim but the odds of surviving an armed assault in your home barehanded are much slimmer.

The bangers, thieves and scum illegaly conceal carry and have weapons in their homes and cars. They keep getting put back on the street instead of locked up forever. So who are those laws truly designed to keep inline.
    Things u could do:

Find someone to trust and keep your guns locked up here for free and buy some large edged tools for home. Carry a nice well balanced estwing riphammer on a quick carry belt holder and some 16d nails everywhere. Since you are a hobby carpenter. Never give up trying to change the system and stay safe. Batons are a no no in cook county but axes in and tools are not. Their UUW laws are goofy but u can find ways around the system. Since it is a snow belt state every car needs a shovel so a nice glock e-tool with a coffee can full of sand is very plausible. If you are a boater I believe signal flare guns are not illegal and HK made a nice (7 shot?) repeater that looked similar to a studfinder. As long as you don your sterling citizen persona and "do not fit the profiles or make a cop pissed on a traffic stop they tend to not look at ya too hard. YMMV

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Wouldn't have taken the job. I refuse to move out of America, while it still exists. For any amount of money.

Exactly! I lived up there (chicago area) for two years. Never again! The one good trait of living near chicago is you'll become a pro at spotting liars since you'll come across so many of them. :+1:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

If he had a Utah (or other) non-resident permit I think he would be covered for Debs, and I don't see why it would be illegal to own the guns in IN and live in IL, it would be illegal to buy guns or AMMO without a foid card though, which is why he should at least get that.
    But ianal tinla etc.

Here's a thought: Find the sorriest, worst little rat shack for the cheapest possible rent within the city limits. (Don't worry, the only time you'll be there is to actually sign the papers to rent it.) List that as your residence and forward your mail from there to somewhere in free America. Officially, you're living in Illinois. Actually, you're living in Indiana. With your guns.

If this is not a feasible solution for you, then yes, leave your guns with your parents and move into Stalinois.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Very good advice Bill, the only problem I could see with it would be a IN ltch if IL was his official address. Unless he set up dual residency, there is someone that posts on this board who has dual residency in IN and FL and has a ltch. But as I posted above if he has a IL dl he would want to get a foid just for ammo purchase.

My opinion keep the guns and store them at the parents with a signed document stating that they are yours and that they are simply storing them, just in case, god forbid, something happens to them so they are not considered part of the estate. And get a non resident carry license/permit from somewhere and a foid card for purchases. Or follow Bills advice.

ETA for a handgun storage container close to the border, you could check into a safety deposit box, pretty cheap for a year but limited hours/days of access and quite possibly a problem getting to it if the SHTF. Also I have no idea of the legality of that, I don't think there is anything prohibiting it except maybe the ammo due to explosive risk. But ianal tinla etc.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This has been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least. I need some advice on the matter of moving back to Chicago. Yea i know bye bye guns and any type of simple freedom. I was offered a job in chicago that requires residency in the city limits. The job part was a no brainer, I accepted it. The other side is what do I do with my guns? Can I keep them in a storage locker and whenever I feel like going to the range, just go? My parents reside in munster and I am currently living in whiting, Can I keep them there and still be able to go to a gun range legally? The other thing is if im not carrying anymore, I really don't see the need for all the carry guns I have impulsively bought over the last couple of months. My new focus is hand to hand and knife training. What do I do?

Yes, you could keep your guns in storage in IN.

No, you cannot go to the range to shoot your HANDGUNS, if you are going to a range at publicly owned property (i.e. at a fish & wildlife area). There are signs posted at those ranges dealing with IL residents shooting handguns (i.e. not legal without a permit). You could probably get away with it at a private range as long as you had someone else transport your handgun there. There have been other recent threads concerning the legalities of shooting handguns at ranges without a LTCH as long as someone else in the group has a LTCH. Do a search.

You could also look into getting a UT or FL non-resident permit & you would be covered.

Long guns should be no problem. You do not need a permit to carry (loaded or not) or shoot a long gun in IN.

ETA: sorry I didn't read the entire thread before posting. Already been covered. Nevermind.

Last edited:

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    keep your guns because after the supreme court ruled that DC can have guns again people filed a case for chicago the very next day. The supreme court selected the case and will be hearing arguments early next year the lawyer that won the dc case is arguing the chicago case also. So my afvice would be keep them cause next year you will be able to have them in Chicago per your 2nd amend.

Top Bottom