• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    There are a lot of good ideas in this post, but I think nalees makes a good point, don't count your son out yet. I have always enjoyed firearms and learned at a young age from my father. During my teenage years and into my early twenties, I didn't necessarily lose interest in guns, but I was much too busy chasing girls in fast cars. My father unfortunately passed away at a young age, and I kept/cleaned/and cared for his firearms with great detail, although I shot them rarely. As a matter of fact, there were some items sold such as old tools and things that I would never use in a million years, but I regret they were sold (not my choice). I would love to have that stuff back just for the reverance. I have since settled down, started my own family, stopped chasing girls, and started back with my passion (and his passion) for firearms. I have expanded my collection greatly, but hold the few that came from him with the highest regard, those will never be sold, they will be passed on to my son as a part of the family legacy.

On another note, a very close friend of the family has a grandfather with a large collection that I have been piecing off of him for several years now, one or two at a time. He let his grandkids pick out what they wanted, and the rest he is "keeping" so to speak. He won't sell them to many people (and his grandkids won't let him either), as he wants to know they are going to a "good home" and will be added to a well cared for collection. His granchildren and I are like family, and they are often times the individuals I shoot with, so whats mine is theirs, and vice versa. Aside from my father, their grandfather was a mentor to us kids growing up and taught us a lot about firearms as well. That story being said, I would encourage you to find someone with a reverance for the history of the peices, where they came from, how they got to you, and how to treat them moving forward, even if it is a friend of the family who will hold onto them so he can later "sell" them back to your son when he is ready for them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a few heirloom firearms that have sentimental value that I will leave to the daughters and grandsons. I think I will divide the rest up between the NRA Competitive Shooting Endowment and the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    I've seen a couple of high dollar shotguns go into caskets just before they closed the lids. Broke my heart but those were the widows' wishes.

dnsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Give your son a chance. Mine is 17 now. I have had guns and he had had not interest in them. And as far as cell phone go undersatand. Me son can text message the entire volume of War and Peace in less than 2 minutes. Well things took a change when last year I gave him a Winchester 42 that my grandfather left for him when he died. It was my grandfathers when he was a teenager. I took him to shoot it and know he is hooked. We go to gun shows together, shoot together, and buy guns togther. We just picked another last weekend and went and shot it that afternoon.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've seen a couple of high dollar shotguns go into caskets just before they closed the lids. Broke my heart but those were the widows' wishes.

well you've gotta have some way of protecting yourself from grave diggers!

or maybe this will be the zombie you want to stay away from... :ar15:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hey, I just ran across something interesting the other day and since I didn't see it posted in any of the follow ups to your original post, thought I'd add the link, despite this thread being a couple of weeks old.

Looks like the NRA has a program that might come in handy for people in similar situations, "The Gift of Guns". See Gifts of Firearms

Good luck!

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I agree with redneckmedic on this one! All kidding aside there are organizations out there that can use these firearms to promote the sport we love so much to young people who otherwise would never get the chance to experiance the joy of shooting. My favorite of course is the 4H shooting sports program where we deal alot with youth who this club is their only access to the sport of firearms.
    Of course a donation such as this would result in a good tax deduction for the family at tax time, and would also allow for year after year of youth members to enjoy the fruit of your legacy to their club.
    Of course you like myself would like to see these stay within the family somehow, I dont have to worry about that I think my boys have already charted who gets which guns and what tools when my chips are cashed in.

Top Bottom