• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I need a cheap tac vest to throw in the closet in case I might need it for something... I can just grab it and go. I have a Mosin Nagant M44 that is my SHTF gun so i'll throw some ammo in it, maybe a flashlight, this and that.I'd like to have one that I could wear when I shoot too. I doesn't have to be padded or anything, I just need a cheap one. Any ideas? Thanks

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Sportsmans guide has a US issue MOLLE vest for a cool $29. I think i'll go with that. I have tons of web gear pouches and whatnot to put on it. Thanks guys!

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I'm not a fan of straight up Molle, because then you have to hunt down all the add ons...which add up in price.

I bought a vest for paintball from www.rap4.com. They market to paintball and airsoft. The airsoft stuff will fit all "real" firearms and accessories. The quality was excellent and has stood up for me after sevearal seasons of abuse. I hate the fact that its all made in China, but an equivalent vest from a builder in the states was over $200.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I don't know any "decent" "cheap" tact vests.... I bought one of those cheapies and it didn't last long. I went with the Blackhawk for $100 and that works for me :) Also has one of those camel back pockets for the bladder which is nice on rucks!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Just some comments about "tac vest." If your life goal is to have a decent bug-out type set-up, understand that this may eventually include soft and hard armor. I used to have a Blackhawk Tac vest, but sold it because if toss that on over your soft and hard armor vests/plates, you are talking 6" or so add on to your torso. If things get that bad that you need a tac vest, your gonna want to have as slim of profile as possible. For this reason, I have decided that my tactical stuff will consist of the following:
    Torso will be soft and hard armor only. My handgun will be on a thigh rig that has the ability to hold an extra magazine. On my other thigh will be a rig to hold four rifle magazines. This would allow you to get as low as possible since you won't have all those magazines protruding from your torso/stomach area. Just something to think about.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Just some comments about "tac vest." If your life goal is to have a decent bug-out type set-up, understand that this may eventually include soft and hard armor. I used to have a Blackhawk Tac vest, but sold it because if toss that on over your soft and hard armor vests/plates, you are talking 6" or so add on to your torso. If things get that bad that you need a tac vest, your gonna want to have as slim of profile as possible. For this reason, I have decided that my tactical stuff will consist of the following:
    Torso will be soft and hard armor only. My handgun will be on a thigh rig that has the ability to hold an extra magazine. On my other thigh will be a rig to hold four rifle magazines. This would allow you to get as low as possible since you won't have all those magazines protruding from your torso/stomach area. Just something to think about.

It works just like my old vest that I had in the military - good enough for a Level III+ vest under it. My Blackhawk works well over my Level IV - just a bit heavy but its all good lol. Yeah that kind of gear - along with the ballistic helmet etc. is for a major DFP (defensive fighting position) or other military uses. Good to have in your A bag though for that reason.

Other than that, I would say soft/hard armor, webgear etc and a rifle/pistol. You also want to have a Camelback for hydration.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just a vest is still good as long as YOU realize that YOU are not bullet proof and 10' tall. Body Armor tends to give people who wear them bad ideas on what they are capable of doing. Many people who have not trained/served in the military have many false impressions on how good Body Armor can be.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Other than that, I would say soft/hard armor, webgear etc and a rifle/pistol. You also want to have a Camelback for hydration.

And if you're going to have all that stuff, you also need to get out and train with it on, rather than just keeping it in the closet in case of teh zombiez. The time to find out that your mag pouch placement sucks, or that body armor will require some adjustment in your shooting positions, is NOT when the lead starts flying...

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    And if you're going to have all that stuff, you also need to get out and train with it on, rather than just keeping it in the closet in case of teh zombiez. The time to find out that your mag pouch placement sucks, or that body armor will require some adjustment in your shooting positions, is NOT when the lead starts flying...

Yep exactly! I rely solely on my training... while it may suck - that is why they made us train so hard and often :patriot:

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    It's the old story of what are you going to do with it. Mine is considered a Bug Home Vest as it's geared to get me back to my home. I'm rarely more than 55 miles from home (most often 25 miles) and the Sportsmans Guide $25 vest works pretty good. There are a couple of zipper pockets for medications and wallet that must not be lost. Half a dozen "other" pockets and the light canvas material seems pretty durable.

Throw a rope, compass, paracord, a hatchet, knife and a bowsaw in the truck with a normal raincoat/hat combo and I'm good to go. I can segment a fair sized tree in case a storm knocks one down blocking the road. As I said, my object is to get home. I generally have a water bottle or canteen and a couple of granola bars which cuts the appetite.

Everybody will have a different objective to tailor their content.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    It's the old story of what are you going to do with it. Mine is considered a Bug Home Vest as it's geared to get me back to my home. I'm rarely more than 55 miles from home (most often 25 miles) and the Sportsmans Guide $25 vest works pretty good. There are a couple of zipper pockets for medications and wallet that must not be lost. Half a dozen "other" pockets and the light canvas material seems pretty durable.

Throw a rope, compass, paracord, a hatchet, knife and a bowsaw in the truck with a normal raincoat/hat combo and I'm good to go. I can segment a fair sized tree in case a storm knocks one down blocking the road. As I said, my object is to get home. I generally have a water bottle or canteen and a couple of granola bars which cuts the appetite.

Everybody will have a different objective to tailor their content.

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan - I've just finished my BoB and now thinking about a kit to throw in my truck as well.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have one as part of my Bug Out Items. Just grap it and go.

Check Wiskur Tactical out of Missouri. They carry Galati Vests in two sizes. About 70 USD plus shipping.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Top Bottom