• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Shooting from a rest gives you more insight into the mechanical accuracy of your gun and ammo - its potential under the best conditions. Prone is equally as good.

My original post wasn't aimed at the seasoned competitor that has thousands of dollars wrapped up in his custom built Bianchi or competition pistol. These individuals expect excellence for their dollars, know what they want, and will certainly test their pistols.
    What I had hoped to do is get the average USPSA or steel shooter to discover if the pistol he bought from Billy Joe's Gun Emporium, or from Billy Joe's cousin, actually hits where he aims it! If his favorite blaster and load won't consistently hit a 6 inch paper plate at 25 or 30 yards how can this shooter possibly improve his skills when nothing he try's helps?
    An acquaintance from North Carolina was about to quit competing because after two years of practice and competition, he wasn't improving. After many late night consultations, and much direction, he discovered his guns couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. (It wouldn't have taken so long if he would have listened in the first place:):) He fixed that problem and he quickly progressed to winning C class at the 2010 Single Stack Nationals! He's now a "B" shooter and having more fun than he ever imagined. His equipment almost drove him out of the sport!
    Lets not lose any shooters for reasons that can be avoided.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've benched my new 9mm pistol once, but got incredibly frustrated because the rest I was using wasn't designed for handgun, so too much stuff was in the way of getting a good picture in a comfortable position.

I plan on trying it again next time I get to the range, but probably using the rest to support my wrist instead of my pistol.

It still shot slightly better from the rest.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I've benched my new 9mm pistol once, but got incredibly frustrated because the rest I was using wasn't designed for handgun, so too much stuff was in the way of getting a good picture in a comfortable position.

I plan on trying it again next time I get to the range, but probably using the rest to support my wrist instead of my pistol.

It still shot slightly better from the rest.

Good for you:rockwoot: Don't go crazy buying a bunch of stuff to do this! Roll up a piece of old carpet or a couple well padded 2 x 4's. This isn't magic. The goal is to determine how well your equipment performs so you can direct your efforts to the proper area's.

Years ago I was building one of the first 1911 auto's that was designed specifically for Bianchi. I had to test shoot it because the guy it was designed and built for wasn't my neighbor who did this sort of thing for fun.
    The testing (shooting groups) turned from a necessary chore into a challenge that I looked forward to. It can get addicting:)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Good for you:rockwoot: Don't go crazy buying a bunch of stuff to do this! Roll up a piece of old carpet or a couple well padded 2 x 4's. This isn't magic. The goal is to determine how well your equipment performs so you can direct your efforts to the proper area's.

Years ago I was building one of the first 1911 auto's that was designed specifically for Bianchi. I had to test shoot it because the guy it was designed and built for wasn't my neighbor who did this sort of thing for fun.
    The testing (shooting groups) turned from a necessary chore into a challenge that I looked forward to. It can get addicting:)

I just plan on using it as a wrist rest next time. It's a very nice cast iron rifle forend rest with leather bag and plenty of adjustment, for a rifle. With my handgun, some of the adjustment levers stuck out too far in the wrong places, and was too low for me to get down behind my gun aligned properly in anything resembling a comfortable position.

I already know my grip is probably the are I need to work on the most, especially after watching one of the Todd Jarrett videos on YouTube that was posted here a while back, but picked up some good pointers!

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    +1
    Then for fun throw Max into the conversation. I'd be willing to pay to listen in on that. Oh wait I did. And I learned alot

Ha!!! I can tell you how to do it but Max does it! It's the old "if you can't do it,,,,, coach it"!
    I'll put my gun buildin skills against Max, which he's good at, but shooting???? He makes me look like a rank armature!

All the shooters in Indiana are fortunate to have people like Max and Coach to help them out. These guys go out of their way to help EVERYONE! Taking either one of their classes is money well spent. Each of them focus on different aspects of shooting USPSA and have different approaches to certain skills. I'd highly recommend spending an afternoon with each of them. If your new to this sport or wanting to step up your performance you won't find more "bang for the buck" anywhere.:yesway:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just plan on using it as a wrist rest next time.

You may want to try finding a rest that supports your gun just in front of the trigger guard, on the dustcover. I also like for the magazine to touch the ground or the table/bench. As many points of support you can get without touching the slide is what I look for.

Hornady used to make a triangle shaped rest that you filled with weight and that had several steps in it for just this thing. I left mine a the range one day. :xmad:

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    He makes me look like a rank armature!

For the record (doh!) Max never made me look like an "armature". He continuously makes me look like an amateur ! :):

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Does that mean you're all . . . wound-up?

At my age it's hard to get too wound up,,,,,,, but I try. I've passed the "wound up" torch to K and he's running with it. As long as he continues to be a gentleman in the process, we'll let him go. He's fun to watch.
    Does being a proud father show ?????
    Why am I vertical at midnight ? Say "good night" Joe.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You may want to try finding a rest that supports your gun just in front of the trigger guard, on the dustcover. I also like for the magazine to touch the ground or the table/bench. As many points of support you can get without touching the slide is what I look for.

Hornady used to make a triangle shaped rest that you filled with weight and that had several steps in it for just this thing. I left mine a the range one day. :xmad:

Yeah the one I borrowed was VERY similar to

Ransom Rifle Master Standard Rifle Front Shooting Rest - MidwayUSA

but not quite as high-dollar. No way to rest the butt/magazine, and the bench was low, so hard to get comfortable. Was resting on the dustcover in front of the triggerguard (EAA Witness Elite Match). Gonna play around a little more next time out.
    That and the range I was at didn't have anything closer than 25-30 yards, and right now I'm much more comfortable at 15 until I work on the basics a little more. I never thought about resting the magazine on something also...

At least I realize my shortcomings!

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I have been known to keep a pretty good one to two inch group at 25 yards double action with my revolver. Not 100% of the time but maybe 80%.

That's great! You know your equipment is capable so there is only one area to focus on.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I did it with my STI when I got it and I found out That it wasn't 'me' that was shooting low at 25 yards . That is why I love adjustable sights ,The groups were just under 3 inches but I am sure the gun can do better than that . I haven't started to tweak a load for it yet
    Great Thread ....I need to shoot more groups, I hardly ever do it. Hell I hardly ever find time to get to the range other than matches ,who am I kidding

I thought I would revive this one
    I put a different front sight on my STI so I had a perfect excuse to shoot some groups today.
    My first few attempts were atrocious and I thought that something might be wrong with the gun:dunno:. I kept at it and slowed down a little . What I discovered was I really suck at shooting groups and I need to do a bunch more of it. I found that if I keep my support hand thumb off the gun my groups really tightened up . I must be pushing the gun down with that thumb because letting it float took out almost all of the vertical stringing that I was getting. I also realized that I was letting my trigger finger drag along the frame when I corrected this I shot a couple of sub 4 inch groups .
    All in all I would say that 3 months across the pond with no opportunity to shoot didn't do my already suspect marksmanship any favors.

groups22DEc2010009.jpg picture by jrmccauley - Photobucket

pic of one of the better 25yd groups. I guess this one is a little over 4''

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A few guys I used to shoot Bianchi with used to swear by shooting groups at the end of a training session. That has a lot of merit. Ending a practice session - any session - with some slow, deliberate efforts towards squeezing out all of the accuracy you're capable of at that place in time.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    A few guys I used to shoot Bianchi with used to swear by shooting groups at the end of a training session. That has a lot of merit. Ending a practice session - any session - with some slow, deliberate efforts towards squeezing out all of the accuracy you're capable of at that place in time.

I am sure that I would benefit from it and I am going to try and do it more often

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am sure that I would benefit from it and I am going to try and do it more often

You will. ;) It's easy, I think, to forget in sports know for their speed aspects that accuracy is a huge part. I'm not talking about shooting bullseye levels of precision on the clock, either. It's more about making the shot you need to make, when you need to make it. And, if you don't know your own potential, how do you know if you can make the shot at all?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom