• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Here's the issue: I'm a Sig guy. I love my Sigs. I train with a Sig P226 Mk25 and love it! Yeah, I have to de-cock after each drill, but I'm used to it.

I'm becoming a believer that I should generally train with what I intend to carry. Makes sense, right? Well, I have tried most ways to carry my Mk 25, and always end up REALLY uncomfortable. I'm talking bruised uncomfortable. My thigh has a big bruise from sitting with the muzzle jabbing into it, and my (ample) love handle has a couple of bruises that amazingly match perfectly the position of the Sig's hammer and tang. Imagine that.

I've tried several kinds of IWB and OWB holsters, and all have the same issue carrying at 3:00 -- when I sit down, I get jabbed.

If I push it back to 4:00, then the grip sticks out at a jaunty angle which makes it impossible to conceal.

I know that several of you carry full-size 1911s without complaint. How do you do it?

I can carry my Sig P938 MUCH more comfortably IWB, but it lacks the firepower and accuracy that I enjoy with the 226 and a couple of 18-round mags. And I can't even buy more mags from Sig for the 938 right now.

Not interested in a shoulder rig. Doesn't fit my lifestyle or training.

I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur and find the double-stack mag well too thick to be remotely comfortable.

I've tried a Remora and have the same issue. The gun's just too thick for IWB (for me.)

I'm just putting this out there as a feeler. If anyone has any suggestions other than, "Just suck it up, Cupcake. Bruises will heal. Besides, carrying a sidearm is meant to be comforting, NOT comfortable!" ... well, save it. :D

Seriously, if you successfully CC a larger-frame gun with an external hammer and other pointy parts, how do you do it? I'm pretty new at carrying, and I'd hate to think that I have to abandon my beautiful Sigs and switch to training with and carrying a G-L-O-C-K. :n00b:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm just putting this out there as a feeler. If anyone has any suggestions other than, "Just suck it up, Cupcake. Bruises will heal. Besides, carrying a sidearm is meant to be comforting, NOT comfortable!" ... well, save it. :D

So... you're new here? You just eliminated any possibility of responses on INGO. We're much better with sarcasm, innuendo, veiled insults, and questioning your patriotism and manhood than at actual useful advice.

Mods, I guess you can go ahead and close this thread.

I carry a full-sized 1911 or a Glock 17 frequently, but I carry AIWB. Have you tried that?

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I have both a sig 226 and a glock 19. Glock is definitely more comfortable to carry, but I don't really find my 226 uncomfortable at all. I use a Galco in the pants holster. seems to fit almost every gun i have that isn't a revolver or a 1911.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    So... you're new here? You just eliminated any possibility of responses on INGO. We're much better with sarcasm, innuendo, veiled insults, and questioning your patriotism and manhood than at actual useful advice.

Mods, I guess you can go ahead and close this thread.

I carry a full-sized 1911 or a Glock 17 frequently, but I carry AIWB. Have you tried that?

I will assume that your purple key is on the fritz. ;)

I thought I'd try a new tactic for INGO and see if anyone would take the bait. I figured that it would take less than 30 seconds for an OC Patriot to chime in and solve my dilemma by suggesting a Serpa thigh rig. :D

Aside from not wanting to go off half-cocked, I have tried appendix carry. Same issue, but worse -- getting into my truck, sitting down, etc. -- muzzle jabs my junk and the pointy parts dig into my belly.

I should probably have someone demonstrate proper AIWB for me, but I'm afraid that my eyes will be exposed to something I don't really want to see. Then I'll have to pour Drano into my eyes.

I have both a sig 226 and a glock 19. Glock is definitely more comfortable to carry, but I don't really find my 226 uncomfortable at all. I use a Galco in the pants holster. seems to fit almost every gun i have that isn't a revolver or a 1911.

Good to know. At what position do you carry? And the hammer and tang don't jab you in the gut at all when you sit down? Are you one of those skinny, young kids? :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I should probably have someone demonstrate proper AIWB for me, but I'm afraid that my eyes will be exposed to something I don't really want to see. Then I'll have to pour Drano into my eyes.

0F72B937-3168-43F2-A5AF-26AEB326D76B-25700-000035D8865B39E8.jpg

C9969905-138B-4BA9-BF5A-D86B9DD94E7A-25700-000035D87A9E8E8F.jpg

Pictures of me AIWBing a Glock 26 in an Archangel Holster. I do the same with a Glock 19.

It's the MOST comfortable way I have ever carried, and I've tried them all.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get a holster with a leather shield to cover the hammer and tang. Like Simply Rugged's Cuda. It works perfectly on my 1911...it's EXTREMELY comfortable to carry.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

Pictures of me AIWBing a Glock 26 in an Archangel Holster. I do the same with a Glock 19.

Like I said, a young, skinny guy! I hate skinny people. :D

Even being skinny, doesn't the muzzle jam into your thigh or your junk when you sit down? (Note: be careful how you answer that -- it may reflect poorly on your manhood.)

I may have to revisit appendix carry. I know that I can carry the P938 that way, but then it's so small that I can carry it just about ANY way.

I'm beginning to think that the most comfortable way for me to carry is just in my hand. "Well, officer, you see it's like this ... my particular body shape dictates that I open carry like this ..." :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Like I said, a young, skinny guy! I hate skinny people. :D

Even being skinny, doesn't the muzzle jam into your thigh or your junk when you sit down? (Note: be careful how you answer that -- it may reflect poorly on your manhood.)

I may have to revisit appendix carry. I know that I can carry the P938 that way, but then it's so small that I can carry it just about ANY way.

I'm beginning to think that the most comfortable way for me to carry is just in my hand. "Well, officer, you see it's like this ... my particular body shape dictates that I open carry like this ..." :D

LOL, I've lost weight, still have a ways to go before I'm considered skinny. The black t-shirt hides a lot :D

And nope, nothing rubs against my junk when I sit and kneel and bend over. Driving for hours at a time is very comfortable as well.

In fact, the holster kind of moves with you as you move, if that makes sense.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    0F72B937-3168-43F2-A5AF-26AEB326D76B-25700-000035D8865B39E8.jpg

I cannot bring myself to carry in that fashion, what are the 4 rules?

1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

—Jeff Cooper[1]

that seems to violate #2 big time.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

I checked out your review, thanks. However, in the pic I see that you're carrying a ... GLOCK. That's kinda my point. The nice, rounded, smooth rear-end of a striker-fired pistol is a whole different animal than one with an external hammer. If the slight variations in different brands of Kydex holsters can make a significant difference, I would imagine appendix carry of a pistol with sharp, pointy things sticking up would make a difference as well.

My Multi-Holster can be converted to IWB (thus the name.) I'll give it a try ... but I'm pretty sure that I won't like it. At the very least, maybe my wife will hug me and once again say, "Oooh, you're glad to see me, aren't you?" :rockwoot:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

—Jeff Cooper[1]

MEH

MEH. I can stand to lose a couple inches.

I also train so I'm not afraid of my gun ;)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    As stated above, some IWB holsters have a "flap" or whatever you want to call it, which rides between the hammer etc. and your flabby man flesh. The Crossbreed supertuck works wonders for making a 229 (with a good belt) completely forgettable.

Just, whatever you do, don't buy a Glock. Good Lord man. Have some pride.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

—Jeff Cooper[1]

If you want to get picky, wouldn't just about ANY IWB carry position violate that rule at some point?

My biggest concern about AIWB is for training. I watched Cedartop perform in a stellar fashion over the weekend in a class that involved about 600 rounds. He used AIWB concealed for the whole class, as I recall. Shot the crap out of the targets, too. I don't recall his draw/fire times, but they were at least as fast as mine from an OWB Kydex holster.

I've watched most of Paul Gomez's videos where he drew effectively and efficiently from an AIWB holster (another skinny guy, BTW), so I know that it CAN be done.

Back to training with a Sig -- which requires de-cocking before reholstering -- there have been times that I have forgotten that little step during training. Not often, but it HAS happened. Imagine my surprise and disappointment to discover that the muzzle is lined up with My Boys when, in the heat of the moment of some intense training, I omit that little step and the trigger catches on something as I'm reholstering. Ouch.

Just something to ponder ...

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Just, whatever you do, don't buy a Glock. Good Lord man. Have some pride.

I know, I know ... see my dilemma? Why would anyone in his right mind rather have THIS touching his body ...

Glock19-CA-2-480x336_zpsc1d377ab.jpg

... than THIS ...?

Mk25_02.jpg

Funny thing is, my first semi-auto pistol was a Glock 23 and I loved it. Until I bought a Sig, that is. Then I sold the Glock. I sleep better at night now, the birds are always singing, the sun always shines, I have plenty of money and supermodels just won't leave me alone. I'd hate to give up all of that just to be comfortable. :-)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

—Jeff Cooper[1]

Mr. Cooper didn't seem to have a problem with it when Bruce Nelson carried that way. As a matter of fact he commented on how well it worked for him. Besides that, is Jeff Cooper Moses?

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    being a bigger guy, who packs a full size 1911; I switched to an mtac with FBI cant at about 2:50 on the right side.

it also looks like your sig needs dehorned. made a big difference when i did it to my 1911. you don't need to go overboard and make it look like it got hit by a belt sander or melted in the oven. just a few light (very light) passes with a diamond file make a difference.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you want to get picky, wouldn't just about ANY IWB carry position violate that rule at some point?

My biggest concern about AIWB is for training. I watched Cedartop perform in a stellar fashion over the weekend in a class that involved about 600 rounds. He used AIWB concealed for the whole class, as I recall. Shot the crap out of the targets, too. I don't recall his draw/fire times, but they were at least as fast as mine from an OWB Kydex holster.

I've watched most of Paul Gomez's videos where he drew effectively and efficiently from an AIWB holster (another skinny guy, BTW), so I know that it CAN be done.

Back to training with a Sig -- which requires de-cocking before reholstering -- there have been times that I have forgotten that little step during training. Not often, but it HAS happened. Imagine my surprise and disappointment to discover that the muzzle is lined up with My Boys when, in the heat of the moment of some intense training, I omit that little step and the trigger catches on something as I'm reholstering. Ouch.

Just something to ponder ...

If you are not comfortable with it either physically or mentally, then you probably shouldn't do it. I am completely comfortable with both aspects. The rig you saw me wear is my EDC. I have driven 12 hours in a car with it and not been uncomfortable, but that is me, not you. I am not sure that I could do that with your Sig, although with the right holster it might be doable. My friend Josh Haines here is a larger guy and has a Sig like yours, not sure if he uses it for CC though. I'l have to ask. I must admit, that is the first time in a long time I was at a class where I was the only one carrying appendix. (well anti-appendix as I'm a lefty.)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    being a bigger guy, who packs a full size 1911; I switched to an mtac with FBI cant at about 2:50 on the right side.

it also looks like your sig needs dehorned. made a big difference when i did it to my 1911. you don't need to go overboard and make it look like it got hit by a belt sander or melted in the oven. just a few light (very light) passes with a diamond file make a difference.

Are you referring to the tang point, the hammer, or both? Interesting suggestion. Won't that leave a surface that will then need to be recoated afterward?

Dehorned. I like that. That's what it feels like when I'm arguing with it. It's like running the bulls at Pamplona and losing. :(

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom