• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It's ok if you don't want to carry one! I have one, along with several other pistols in varying calibers and I choose different guns for different tasks. If I am out on the farm I carry my 1911 or sometimes my Ruger Blackhawk, other times I carry my G19. Depends on the person and their comfort level I suppose, but that's why they make so many different pistols and holsters, not everybody likes the same thing. :ingo:

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a 1911 and love it, Best gun purchase to date! But as others have said it is harder to carry A. because im tall an skinny B. because its a bigger pistol. But the negitives far out way the bad IMO. But on the other hand I wouldnt mind having a smaller framed pistol to carry also. Just all about what you want in a hand gun, It has to fit you!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The only reason I don't carry a 1911 is because I don't have the $1500 or so to buy the one I want!

Cost: I reload. It's fun, relaxing, and economical.
    Carry: My ol' Kimber fullsize carried just fine, as easy as the smaller M&P I'm carrying now.
    Capacity: I'd bet on winning the lotto (despite never buying a ticket) before I bet on getting in a running gun battle where I need more than 8+1, and maybe a very easily carried single stack spare.

In all cases, a non-issue for me. Long live the 1911!!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    First rule of a gun fight is .. "to have a gun" anything else after that is just nuance.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I love the 1911 platform. The gun is well-designed, metallic, substantial. Nothing like a plastic gun. The trigger pull is short (which means better accuracy), and the rounds make big holes. There is a safety. But I have a dilemma. It's not a new one for 1911 lovers, I'd think, so I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of INGO. Here are the problems I face:

Cost. .45 ACP rounds are expensive. Most the shooting one would do would be at the range. The .22LR seems more sensible, esp. for target shooting. Of course, it has less stopping power, etc. One would have to get an upper or a separate plinking gun.

Carry. You train like you fight, and you fight like you train. So you should carry the same gun you train with. However, a full-size pistol is not great for conceal carry. Even if you carry it in a waist pack, it's still rather bulky. A smaller 1911, in a smaller caliber (e.g., the Springfield EMP) seems a bit of a waste of a good idea, though it may be a fine gun.

Capacity. With another magazine (or two) in a belt pouch, one would be all set. But it doesn't make sense for most of us civilians to walk around with these metaphorical bandoliers. The staggered magazines seem to have an advantage here. Most 1911 pistols don't have those, and those that do (the so-called 2011) have a really thick handle.

Da Bing

Sounds to me like you have already talked yourself out of it. If someone needs to talk you into it ,then you probably shouldn't carry a 1911. Capacity, Cost of Ammo ( you have to train) and Size are 3 major issues when carrying
    But if you like the caliber (.45), you wont find a carry gun with too much more capacity if you go Fullsize you will get around +5 rounds. Cost..When I bought my 1911 I bought reloading equipment its fun and a whole lot cheaper. Sounds like you would be better suited with a polymer gun with a higher capacity.

just my :twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Saying that all handgun calibers are the same is in vogue right now, which is fine with me :)

Its my opinion, that most of the people who say "The Nine is Fine" or "The .45 knocks them on their butt" have never tested both on living flesh before.

And rather, just repeat what is said on the internet.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you think one gun is impractical for any reason, you can find a reason for ANY gun as to why they're impractical.

There are pros and cons to anything and everything in existence from one person to the next. 1000 people define religion and faith a 1000 different ways, blah blah blah, et cetra, et cetra...

If you don't think you can dispatch your threat with one magazine... whether it be eight rounds or eighteen, you've already failed yourself in either training or situational awareness. Training is an INVESTMENT. It's invaulable. If you're worried about costs, train with a .22 on the majority... then practice application with a .45. The skills will transfer, you lose less of your more expensive ammo, and you still gain the experience and benefit of training.

You learn to shoot well with one gun, you can shoot well with ANY gun.

Practicality is relative. You can still make it work for you, you just have to find a way.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The laws of physics still apply regardless of opinions, preferences, or what is posted on the internet.

I think a 22 is plenty for most of you guys and every one else.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    If you like the 1911 platform but don't want to reload or spend a crapload on ammo, get a Browning Hipower. It's the daddy of the 1911.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    There is not a 1911 on this planet that I would choose for serious use over a Glock or M&P. An M&P in particular is about the same size as a 1911 (negligible difference), weighs a lot less, holds 10+1 in .45 ACP, and needs minimal maintenance and lubrication.

:twocents:

weighs a lot less... which leads to an increase in perceived recoil....

holds 10+1 in .45 ACP... if you really need those extra two rounds you've made some mistakes on your way to being in trouble.....

needs minimal maintenance and lubrication. ...you maintain the tools you depend on to perhaps save your life however you wish... I take care of mine, and very much enjoy doing so.

Your opinion is every bit as valuable to you, as mine is to me. Personal preference is great. You have yours and I have mine.
    By Hoosier9

Something tells me that it's more prudent to pay attention to advice given by industry professionals and people who have "been there, done that" than to listen to people whose resumes only include gun games and shooting watermelons in their backyards

You really should practice that. Some folks here have likely been carrying a 1911 since before you started breathing...and at least two folks in this thread have indeed "been there done that"..... and that does not make the 1911 the gun for you. but your opinion is nothing that requires any other shooter to share it with you.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you like the 1911 platform but don't want to reload or spend a crapload on ammo, get a Browning Hipower. It's the daddy of the 1911.

The Browning Hi Power was introduced in 1935, 24 years after the 1911. It was one of JMB best designs though. :twocents:

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I love the 1911 platform. The gun is well-designed, metallic, substantial. Nothing like a plastic gun. The trigger pull is short (which means better accuracy), and the rounds make big holes. There is a safety. But I have a dilemma. It's not a new one for 1911 lovers, I'd think, so I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of INGO. Here are the problems I face:

Cost. .45 ACP rounds are expensive. Most the shooting one would do would be at the range. The .22LR seems more sensible, esp. for target shooting. Of course, it has less stopping power, etc. One would have to get an upper or a separate plinking gun.

Carry. You train like you fight, and you fight like you train. So you should carry the same gun you train with. However, a full-size pistol is not great for conceal carry. Even if you carry it in a waist pack, it's still rather bulky. A smaller 1911, in a smaller caliber (e.g., the Springfield EMP) seems a bit of a waste of a good idea, though it may be a fine gun.

Capacity. With another magazine (or two) in a belt pouch, one would be all set. But it doesn't make sense for most of us civilians to walk around with these metaphorical bandoliers. The staggered magazines seem to have an advantage here. Most 1911 pistols don't have those, and those that do (the so-called 2011) have a really thick handle.

Da Bing

The cost of .45 ACP is not to be ignored, for sure. And consider that the manual of arms for a 1911, as compared to many other modern weapons (Glock comes to mind), is generally considered to be more involved, requiring more of a commitment in training and practice. There is no way that I could afford to shoot enough .45 ACP if I didn't reload. Of course, if you're not set up to reload currently, then that expense and learning curve is not to be ignored either.

If I were you, I would consider a different carry gun for the moment. Almost twenty years ago, when I bought my first 1911, I did it in tandem with a commitment to reload for all of my bigger calibers -- I was shooting A LOT back then.

For what it's worth, even though I consider my 1911 handling abilities sufficient for daily carry / self-defense scenarios, I carry 5-shot .357 revolvers daily. :)

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    I myself like the 1911 platform and carry one daily, a Kimber Ultra Raptor on my ankle, it is now like my boxers, I don't leave home without them, as far a reliable, it has been for me flawless and I will stake my life on it.....we all have prefrences and likes and dislikes, guess that is why there are many to choose from.....chose what you like and are comfortable with and it will work for you!!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The 1911 was the first gun I carried. It will always have a special place in my heart. I switched to the M9 when the Marine Corps did and then the last couple of years a G19. If I didn't like my 1911 so much I would carry it every day? Another reason I don't carry a 1911 all the time is because I like to play with it way too much. I still haven't shot a 1911 I didn't want to dress up and take to a match. If I was retired and didn't have to worry so much about concealment at work I would go back to carrying a 1911. Maybe sooner if I can get a deal on nice Kimber.:D

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I'm hoping to get a RIA 1911 this year (since it is the 100th anniversary). as far as carrying it, that wont be a problem at all. I have found that when you have a tight budget (like myself) and only have one all around handgun, you learn to conceal it no matter the size or weight. right now I carry a S&W 686 4" because I'm just a wheel gunner at heart. so a 1911 would be very easy to conceal, but its up to each individual to decide what he wants in a gun, like it was said before about concealing a gun "it is not supposed to be comfortable but rather comforting."
    TW

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    .....EMP, a waste of a good idea? ....I don't think so. Although I typically carry my PF9, I often carry my EMP, it conceals well and I have a clip for two extra mags. What waste are you referring too? The 9mm is a great round, and that's my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm having a hard time understanding the point of this thread. Maybe I haven't read enough rant threads, I'm fairly new to INGO.

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    The biggest thing everyone is not pointing out if he does not try one he will never know if it is right for him I currently carry a LCR with 38+p 110 rem golden bullets, but I have also carried a 1911 and a XD9 if your not comfortable with the weapon your not going to carry it, and if you don't have it with you then this discussion is a mute point the best advice is don't get in a gun fight... but if you do defend yourself and retreat your not a cop (at least most of us are not) and live another day. but thats just my opinion.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If you really like the 1911, then be prepared to deal with the size and caliber issues.

I have two, one a full size, the other an Officer's Model. One is for fall/winter, the OM for spring/summer. I have been carrying some form of 1911 for almost 30 years.

Sure, I went with the "wondernines" when they came out, carried a wondernine in some form on duty, but the "wondernine" format did not impress me. More available ammo is sure nice, however, the grip diameter on the higher capacity pistols leave something to be desired.

I carry two spare mags on the belt, and I feel comforted doing so. First of all, it is not necessarily what you carry, but God forbid, if you have to use the weapon, you certainly want to hit what you are aiming at. I personally don't see magazine capacity as an issue, if one pays attention to the marksmanship problem first.

And, a .45 ACP round is .45 diameter and starts out that way. Certainly we can agree or disagree the merits of "ball" ammunition, but some rounds even when they expand, do not reach that diameter. I carry Winchester 230 gr. SXT's in the full sized gun, two mags of that and one of ball. The OM ammunition is the Federal Hydra-Shok 165 gr. Personal Defense round.

Is ammunition expensive? Sure it is. What is your life or a loved one's potentially worth if you have to use that weapon? A whole lot more than a box or two of good quality defense ammo.

Do you need +P? Not necessarily. If you're committed to the .45 and shoot it enough, possibly reloading your practice ammo has merit.

The practice with the weapon you choose needs to instill confidence in it, and your ability to use it efficiently. One cannot put a price on that.

Top Bottom