• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Actually I'm going to visit AVT this week to order some components ...I'm going to test some ballistic plate designs I've been molling around ...can't wait to take them to the range to see how they hold up

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Actually, we DO have a couple of physicists onboard and at least a dozen engineers that I know of off the top of my head. Probably many more. ;)

Don't be a turd, you know what I meant. :D

There might be a doctor shopping at the mall, but if I sever my femoral artery, I'm not gonna go there hoping for help. I'll go to a hospital where there'll be doctors for sure. ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    lol...if you sever your femoral artery at a mall...something is wrong....lol plus you'll probably be dead by the time you get to a hospital....so you should prolly hope/ask for help..lol

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What if the mall doctor is having a special on femoral artery repair and you even have a coupon?

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Davegrave,
    you seem to have a problem with me:dunno: If you are not intersted in lasers why do you post on a subject that you have no interest In :draw:
    I don't believe I have stepped on your toes, but if I have please email me and let me know what it is??:dunno: For me, there are tons of folks that use lasers myself being one, as I get olded and older my eye site isn't as good as it was, and with the laser I can just get on my target a lot faster!
    I was just in hopes that someone with a lot more smarts than me ( that doesn't take much) would chime in with some data to help me understand.
    There have been several post's that have helped and I will be checking them out.
    If I would of known that my question was going to upset you Dave I wouldn't of ask.For me, life is way to short to ever rag on someone for such a trival thing.
    And to the rest of you folks, if I have done something that was not proper I would be great full to know what it was.
    Later
    Greg

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Davegrave,
    you seem to have a problem with me:dunno: If you are not intersted in lasers why do you post on a subject that you have no interest In :draw:
    I don't believe I have stepped on your toes, but if I have please email me and let me know what it is??:dunno: For me, there are tons of folks that use lasers myself being one, as I get olded and older my eye site isn't as good as it was, and with the laser I can just get on my target a lot faster!
    I was just in hopes that someone with a lot more smarts than me ( that doesn't take much) would chime in with some data to help me understand.
    There have been several post's that have helped and I will be checking them out.
    If I would of known that my question was going to upset you Dave I wouldn't of ask.For me, life is way to short to ever rag on someone for such a trival thing.
    And to the rest of you folks, if I have done something that was not proper I would be great full to know what it was.
    Later
    Greg

Please don't think that. The first post just seemed fishy with the CT namedropping. It appears I was wrong, but I'd seen it a lot on forums.

My last post wasn't intended to be either snide or humorous. It was just sincere advice to help you find the answer to something that seems to be puzzling you. The thread has been open for a few days and no one has offered you ANY technical advice yet. I was just hoping to redirect to a place that had more expertise on the aspect of lasers you seem interested in learning about.

My first post was meant to be jerkily humorous. But my most recent was genuine. :)

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    There might be a doctor shopping at the mall, but if I sever my femoral artery, I'm not gonna go there hoping for help. I'll go to a hospital where there'll be doctors for sure. ;)

lol...if you sever your femoral artery at a mall...something is wrong....lol plus you'll probably be dead by the time you get to a hospital....so you should prolly hope/ask for help..lol

What he said...

I didn't sever it at the mall. I was at home, fencing maybe. Or my lawnmower blade flew out catastrophically. I just meant going to the mall isn't the best plan for med care even though doctors might be there. Just like none of us seem to be offering up any technical laser advice for acelungger.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, the Barska either isn't putting out the rated power (highly likely), or its optics are so bad that the beam is improperly focused (also highly likely). You'd have to meter both of them to get their true output, rather than their stated output. You get what you pay for.

Agreed... I assume its like anything else that manufacturers use specs to sell (think of audio speakers, etc). Some manufacturers will claim specs that are not accurate or fail to provide you with all the relevant specs, etc.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I didn't sever it at the mall. I was at home, fencing maybe. Or my lawnmower blade flew out catastrophically. I just meant going to the mall isn't the best plan for med care even though doctors might be there. Just like none of us seem to be offering up any technical laser advice for acelungger.

Hard to give advice if we're not really sure what he is trying to ask

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Hey Dave,
    No problem!! I don't have a sense of humor so I take offense when I think someone is poking me! There are to many fella's out there that think just because they can buy $3000.00 Night Force scopes, and that makes them better than the guy with a Millet!
    This all started back when the Harley Boom was going strong, I rode old shovelhead Harley's and the both that I had I build from basket case's. and there were those that went and bought Brand New Harley's and would look at me as if they were so much better that I was, all those guys were Real Bikers couldn't change a spark plug if there life depended on it.
    I live my like as I want to be treated, there isn't anyone in this world that is better than anyone else!:rockwoot:
    Later
    Greg

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    power output is based on mW...most laser pointers are around <5mW, the more brighter and more expensive laser pointers can be 200mW, 300mW, and even 500mW. If you want to start burning some serious holes, you're looking into 1+ watt lasers.

The reason they are all the same is that 5mW is the most the FCC allows in the US. You will not find laser pointers for sale that are 200mW or 500mW in the US. You may be able to find kits. There are probably rules about who can have a bigger laser, but 5mW is the most you can legally buy here.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I am an engineer, and I do play with lasers at work. Our are usually not visible and are used to cut and weld things. Usually interacting with robots and servos.

Top Bottom